Challenge me - Mood Music

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ok, here's the deal - I'm one of those schlepps that dials in every hour or so because I'm bored at work.

I'm also a huge fan of Contemporary Classical Music, and have a fair share of soundtracks as well. Over 400 CDs in all.

So, I want you to challenge me. Pick a scene, or a scenario, or whatever - and I'll recommend music that will go with that scene.

Gnomes?
Ottorino Respighi's _Ballad of the Gnomes_

An erupting Volcano?
Alan Hovhaness' _Mount St. Helen's Symphony_

A depiction of the anquish over a nuclear holocaust and the travesty of the concentration camps during World War II?
Krzystoff Penderecki's _Threnody: For the Victims of Hiroshima_

See how this is gonna work?

Good.

Give me your worst.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Mark said:
Farmer looking out over his field of blighted crops...

That's a tough one. Something tells me that you guys are gonna be good at this.

I'm assuming that these crops are his livelihood and he's devestated now. That's a pretty powerful emotion.

George Crumb's _Black Angels_

Warning, this piece isn't for the faint of heart.

edit: changed my mind.

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
A child is slain on a busy city street, because someone in the party missed the villian. (hit by an arrow from said member by mistake)

EDIT: clarified

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Wippit Guud said:
A child is slain on a busy city street, because someone in the party missed the villian. (hit by an arrow from said member by mistake)

EDIT: clarified

Are you shooting for "regret" as the emotion? So, the party is searching for a villain, but can't find him, and because they can't find him, this child is slain? And now the party feels guilty because of that?

Hmmm.

Try:
Edgard Varèse's "Amériques"

It might pull off what you're talking about. Modern, busy, complex. It's got a siren in it though, so it's not particularly medieval.

or:
George Crumb's _Ancient Voices of Children_

Also modern, a bit disturbed. Either would probably work, though the second is quite a bit more "ethereal".

der_kluge

Adventurer
Mark said:
http://www.wwnorton.com/classical/composers/crumb.htm

I, Sir, am bested! And the amazing thing is, he and I were born on the same date! Thundercats, HOOOOOooooooooooooo! :D

On the same year, too?
I just suggested another Crumb piece. Although I should point out that "Voices" contains segments of Spanish poetry, so it might not really fit in a D&D game. Probably be too overbearing.

I see a pattern forming here. Gonna run out of "Crumb" suggestions before too long. :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
die_kluge said:
On the same year, too?

Heh heh... Nope. He's got 33 years on me. :D

die_kluge said:
I just suggested another Crumb piece. Although I should point out that "Voices" contains segments of Spanish poetry, so it might not really fit in a D&D game. Probably be too overbearing.

I'd say that actually would fit the mood nicely. Nothing wrong with some gritty despondency to get the heros to sympathize with the farmer and go after the Druid/Terrorist who feels the land baron has ordered his serfs to encroach too far into the wild!

die_kluge said:
I see a pattern forming here. Gonna run out of "Crumb" suggestions before too long. :)

I turn the toaster over and give it a shake if we run short... ;)

Fayredeth

First Post
An ancient statue that could resurrect the dead stands before the party, and the party has laid a young saint before it. The saint was destined to end the suffering of the world by granting light in the land again, as the sun was extinguished hundreds of years ago, and the world has been in havoc since. The saint was slain trying to save a child from the grasps of a sorceress who was going to use the child to rejuvinate her youth.

The only way to activate the statue is for the bard to play an ancient hymn that was composed by the sculptor of the statue flawlessly. The score was scultped into the base, but the statue is extremely old, and thus the script is barely noticable.

Preferably, have the music express the mood from setting the slain priest before the statue all the way to his awakening.

That has got to be difficult, but it gave me some good ideas... :)

Remove ads