FFG gets rights to make ASOIAF Board and card game.

Darklance

First Post
"Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the acquisition of board and collectible card game rights to George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novel series. The first novel of the six-book series, A Game of Thrones, was published in 1996. Since then two more titles, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords have been published, with book four, A Feast for Crows to appear on shelves in early 2003. The series has sold over a million books and has been translated into seven languages.

Both games being produced by Fantasy Flight Games will be published under the title, “A Game of Thrones.” The collectible card game is scheduled for release at GenCon 2002 and the board game is scheduled for release in Fall of 2002.

FFG CEO Christian Petersen commented, "George Martin's books are some of the best fantasy novels ever written, and I'm thrilled to be able to set our games in his magnificent world. I'm sure thousands of other fans are as eager as I am to see his characters brought to life in the cards and play the game of thrones themselves."

Said George Martin, "Ever since A Game of Thrones first hit the bookstands, I have been getting letters and emails from readers asking if a game was in the works.

"I'm no stranger to gaming. I grew up playing Monopoly, Risk, and Diplomacy, was captain of the chess team in high school and college, and became addicted to role-playing when I moved to New Mexico. The idea of a game based on my epic fantasy series appealed to me from the first.... but I wasn't willing to entrust my world and characters to just anyone. If there was going to be a game, I wanted it to be one that was true to the books, and captured some of their flavor.

"Fantasy Flight impressed the hell out of me with their games, especially those based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Design, production, artwork... everything they did was top quality, and I knew these were the guys that I wanted to bring the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and its quarrelsome inhabitants alive for gamers around the world.

"I'm delighted to be in business with them, and I hope that all my readers will enjoy the Ice & Fire board game and collectible card game as much as I expect to."

Fantasy Flight, Inc., a corporation with offices in Roseville, Minnesota, and Copenhagen, Denmark, is a leading U.S. hobby market producer of boardgames, roleplaying games, card games, and customizable disk games. FFG’s products include the Lord of the Rings boardgame, the Twilight Imperium boardgame, the Blue Planet v2 roleplaying game, and the Legends & Lairs and Dragonstar lines for the d20 System.

George R. R. Martin is the award-winning author of eight novels, including Fevre Dream and The Armegeddon Rag. He received a B.S. in Journalism from Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois in 1970, graduating summa cum laude. In 1986 he signed on as a story editor for Twilight Zone at CBS, in 1987 he became an Executive Story Consultant for Beauty and the Beast, and by 1989 moved up to Co-Supervising Producer. George Martin has won numberous awards for his novels, novellas, and short stories, and his A Song of Ice and Fire series has captured the imagination of fans across the world. George currently lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and is a member of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. "

Darklance

First Post
Can a RPG be far behind?

Here are a few of the card images.

game-jaimelan-t.jpg

game-theeyrie-t.jpg

Jaime Lannister and The Eyrie

Last edited:

TalonComics

First Post
As much as I love Fantasy Flight Games and The Song of Fire and Ice series I just can't play CCGs anymore. I want to roleplay. I'm a roleplayer not a card player.

Please, please, please... Put out a sourcebook for the book series. I don't think the book series translates well to d20 but anything would be better than nothing. :)

~Derek

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I haven't read the books in question (I only read this thread to figure out what 'ASOIAF' stood for), but rarely do I read a great book and say "Wow, that makes me want to play a collectible card game based on it."

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
ASOIAF ? ASOIAF ?

Man, I was really puzzled when I read such letters...

ASOIAF !

WDEWTMSA ?

(Why Does Everybody Want To Make Such Acronyms?)

Remove ads