Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

spyscribe

First Post
(Pfew, made it! Happy Birthday Bad Monkey Jeff. And special thanks to Fajitas, who shared in this week's writerly duties, as well as his usual advisorly ones.)

Part the Thirty-Ninth
In which: the party goes to Court.

In the center of Dar Pykos, there is a castle. It is not the tallest building in the city-state; the spires of the Great Library hold that honor. Nor is it the most ornate; many private homes are far more elegant. It is a public building, and built with that in mind. It is large enough to handle all the business of the city. It is solid enough to withstand an assault should the city come under attack. And it is grand enough to impress those coming here on business.

The castle is the home of the ruler of Dar Pykos, King Orin. It is the seat of his government. It is here that all important decisions regarding the future of Dar Pykos are made…

Friday

Contrary to what one might expect, when the appointed day and hour comes to pass Anvil is not the first to arrive for their summons. In fact, he is the last, primarily because Lira, Reyu, Thatch, Dennis, and Hue have all decided to show up absurdly early, just to beat him there. Those hoping for a reaction from him are disappointed, however. He merely nods at them, says “Excellent,” and enters the castle. Rolling their eyes, the others follow.

They announce themselves to the guards, and are led to a waiting room where they are, unsurprisingly, told to wait. And wait they do. There is someone there already, a brown-haired woman, sitting quietly on a fine chair, her eye quickly scanning each of the party members in turn. She wears a holy symbol around her neck indicating that she is a member of the Fortune Riders, a Sedellan sect devoted to the goddess as the Lady of Luck. She says nothing to the party, and they say nothing to her.

They wait a short time before another woman is brought to wait with them. This one, the party recognizes. It is Moira, the Alirrian Water-walker they met at the Mages’ Academy. Moira blinks when she sees the party, then grins. “Y’know, I hadn’t expected to see you people here, but I probably should have.”

It is Lira who first puts things together, her eyes darting from Moira’s Alirrian holy symbol to Anvil’s Kettenite one, to the strange woman’s Sedellan symbol. Each of the gods is represented here, she thinks. I bet this woman is supposed to be with us.

She approaches the stranger. “Let me guess. You were given a letter asking you to come to a meeting at the castle at this time today?”

“Yes,” the woman responds, cautiously.

“Hi. I’m Lira.”

“Eva Kouris,” the woman responds, politely inclining her head.

At that moment, a man appears, dressed in fine robes. “Good afternoon,” he begins. “I am Sir William Collingswood, Chief Steward to his Royal Highness King Orin of Dar Pykos. On His Highness’s behalf, I thank you all for heeding our summons. Before your audience, I must request that you leave all weapons and spell components here. The guards will see to it they are cared for.”

Anvil immediately complies. After only a moment’s hesitation, most of the others do as well. Lira notes Eva hands over her rapier, as well as an impressive array of throwing knives. It is not clear whether she or Dennis carries more.

The parting is hardest on Thatch, who reluctantly passes over his uncle’s sword. “Be sure you, um, take care of--"

“Rest assured, it will be well tended,” Collingswood smoothly replies.

Once the party’s weapons have been secured, Collingswood leads them down a long hall to a large pair of oaken double doors. “This way, if you please,” he says, as he swings the doors open. The party steps forward.

Well, Lira thinks, whatever challenge is coming, I hope I’m ready for it.

Don’t worry, Boss, Euro thinks at her. I got your back.

And she enters the room.

The audience chamber, aside from the eight adventurers, is empty. Empty of people anyway. There is a dais at one end of the room with five ornate chairs upon it. The group just has a chance to register this fact when a small door to the side of the dais opens, and four figures file in.

Anvil quickly recognizes them as the heads of the four temples of the city. The head of the church of Kettenek is a gaunt old man wearing black robes, formerly a Guardian of the Barrier. The Benedictess of the Alirrian sects is a Giver, resplendent in her green robes and elaborate hat. She gives a small nod to Moira as she enters. The Ehktian is a Sun Blade. A large man, with read hair and a full beard, he almost seems to radiate light himself, in his highly polished armor with his holy symbol engraved upon the breastplate. The Sedellen is the last to take her place, standing in front of her chair. She wears the simple grey robe of the Harbingers, and surveys the room with a slightly bored expression.

Following the heads of the four temples, Tenacious and Professor Alexandra enter and takes places off to one side of the dais.

The last chair, in the center of the dais, remains empty.

A moment later the great doors—opposite where the party was shown in—open and King Orrin enters. He is a youngish man, dressed in a manner that is clearly regal, but not ostentatious. Upon later reflection, what strikes Lira most about their entire visit to the castle was the lack of ceremony and protocol. There are no heralds, no order of precedence, surprisingly few formalities. Except for his title, King Orrin gives the overriding impression of being simply a very smart, very sensible man.

He has an easy smile, and takes careful note as the assembled adventurers introduce themselves. He is apparently familiar with their names, but curious to put them to faces. Except for Anvil (who, although respectful of rank, is cowed by no man) and Hue (who doesn’t know any better) the group members are only partially put at ease. Lira’s curtsey has a practiced smoothness despite her nerves, but many knees and backs bend with slight, but noticeable tremors.

After all the summoned guests curtsey or bow according to their custom, the dignitaries on the dais sit, and the King addresses the room.

“All of you are aware of the attack that has lately disturbed our city. It is thanks to efforts by many of you that the perpetrators were not able to do more damage than they did.

“It has also become apparent that it is vital to this city that the Mages’ Academy not exist as an island, isolated from the rest of the populace, but as an integrated and integral part of Dar Pykos. I have conferred with this Council and we are all in agreement. To achieve this, the Academy will require strong leadership by a new Chancellor.

“However, there is no one among the faculty, or elsewhere in this city who is both qualified and willing to accept the position. The next Chancellor must be strong enough to hold their ground. Rational enough to navigate the political waters of the civic and religious authorities of the city, and last, but certainly not least, powerful enough to defend the academy should it once again come under attack.”

Hue suddenly pipes up. “I’d love to be the next Chancellor, but my research with the squirrels—” He is cut off abruptly by Thatch’s hand coming down to rest on his head.

King Orrin quirks an eyebrow at the interruption, but he seems more amused than anything else. “We are told of four archmagi, men and women of immense power, dwelling in the lands around the Halmae. This, if you are willing, would be your mission. Find these individuals, and deliver a message to each of them, inviting them to come here that we may meet them and determine if one or more of them should be offered the position of Chancellor.”

King Orrin pauses to nod to Anvil, Lira, Eva, and Moira. “Four of you would be representatives of your churches. All must see that the temples are united and supportive of this endeavor, so that we might prevent a recurrence of the ugliness which has lately marred and endangered our city.”

Anvil steps forward without hesitation. “If it is the will of Kettenek that we should find these wizards, it is certain that we cannot fail.”

Lira is next, saying simply: “I accept this challenge.” The head of the Temple of Ehkt grins broadly at her and pounds the arm of his chair in support.

“As do I,” Moira adds.

“And I as well,” says Eva.

King Orrin surveys the others. “I have heard from Tenacious the Just that you have worked as a team to the great benefit to the Temple of Justice, and the city as a whole. Are the rest of you willing to similarly commit yourself to this task?”

“Sure!” says Hue, momentarily stepping out from underneath Thatch’s hand.

Reyu, Thatch and Dennis exchange quick glances. Reyu bows respectfully and comes forward. “This is indeed a noble endeavor, but I think we would like to learn more of our mission before formally accepting.”

King Orrin nods, untroubled, and gestures to one side where Professor Alexandra stands. “Professor, I believe you are the most knowledgeable among us as to the individuals in question. If you would?” He indicates she should come forward and speak.

Seonaid

Explorer
Oooh! If the posts in which Fajitas has a direct hand are always this long, let's have more of 'em! ;)

Also--I noticed you said "Friday." Is that the same day of the week as the one we know and love? If so, that seems incongruent. The world is so well defined and set up, and not similar to what I know, that naming a day of the week "Friday" seems wrong. Just curious as to the thought behind it.

Angcuru

First Post
I think the use of the Julian days of the week is more out of unconscious habit as a human being in a western society than a lack of attention to detail of the world. Hey, even Tolkien used the Julian calendar, so I'm more than willing to forgive this very slight discrepancy of Spyscribe's/Fajitas', whom, while capable of forming an excellent and entertaining story, saldy have less renown. ;)

spyscribe

First Post
I'll let Fajitas give the definitive answer on the days of the week question, but it was something that came up when I was drafting the post. Probably should have cut it since "Friday" didn't wind up being in the post where it came out what those darn letters we saw Anvil and Lira getting were about.

Then again, it did post on a Friday, so that's kind of cool.

I think it's a question of weighing authenticity against pain in the neck factor. We could call the first month of spring (that also happens to be the first month of the year) "The month of Alirria rising" but it's easier for everyone to remember what that means if we just go ahead and call it "March."

Of course, in my notes, "March" is still "3" in number form, even though it's the first month of the year.

As for post-length, there just wasn't a good place to end the update any earlier. :)

Seriously, I don't like updates to go a lot longer than 1200 words. (The one above was right around 1600, I think). This might just be a personal thing, but as a reader, I get turned off by endlessly scrolling posts.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Seonaid said:
Also--I noticed you said "Friday." Is that the same day of the week as the one we know and love? If so, that seems incongruent. The world is so well defined and set up, and not similar to what I know, that naming a day of the week "Friday" seems wrong. Just curious as to the thought behind it.

I actually spent a lot of time thinking about the calendar in the Halmae. I decided early on that being able to keep track of dates and how much time had passed was useful, so I definitely wanted a calendar. The problem was that, logically, the Halmae should have a sixteen-month calendar: four seasons of four months a piece. And, frankly, rather than seven-day weeks, they should either be four day or eight day weeks.

Okay, I thought. Difficult but not inherently undoable. But then I thought, yeesh. I'd have to name all these things. And then the problem sets in. Because if I tell my players, "It is Friday, the 19th of October," they instantly know what I mean. Wheras if I tell them "It is Eighthday, the 19th of Sedellus Waxing," we all have to stop for a minute while they translate that. And it gets even worse when you have to start calculating how long between two events. "Sedellus Waxing is how many months after Ehkt Rising?" It reaches a point where the flavor gets in the way of the functionality.

So, I figured, if the Julian calendar is good enough for Tolkein, it's good enough for me. If it helps, you can think of it, just like Tolkein's calendar, as having been translated from the original Halmae Common for the sake of the reader. :)

Remove ads