Frukathka's Extreme Diehard Feat

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Extreme Diehard [General]
You do not die as easily as others.
Prerequisite: Diehard, Iron Will, Toughness
Benefit: You do not die when reaching negative ten hit points. Your deathpoint is equal is instead negative ten minus six and your constitution modifier. For example, if your characters Constitution score is 18, then you subtract negative ten from ten, for a deathpoint of negative twenty.

What do you think?

Grail Quest

First Post
Not worth it

With three prerequisite feats, this feat seems underpowered for what it offers, which may _occasionally_ be only that an opponent needs to make one additional swing at your dying and helpless body before you really die. At higher levels of play--a level where you can finally take this feat since it is the fourth of a chain of feats--it may even be utterly useless.

How about:
Benefit: You are only slain by an attack that qualifies as a coup de grace or massive damage. If you would normally have already died because of your hit point status, you do not receive a saving throw against a coup de grace or attack that inflicts massive damage.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
What if I dropped toughness as a prerequisite and dropped the deathpoint to negative thirteen minus the characters Con mod?

Last edited:

Grail Quest

First Post
Frukathka said:
What if I dropped toughness as a prerequisite and dropped the deathpoint to negative thirteen minus the characters Con mod?

This _appears_ to just give someone an additional 0-7 hitpoints (depending on thier Con modifier). Only it's less useful because none of these hitpoints kick in until the person is virtually helpless, being at a negative hp situation.

It's unbalanced because it is useless. Sorry. I don't see how this even compares with the basic feat that gives you 3 extra hit points regardless of your Con.

What is the purpose of the feat you are trying to make? Can you describe a scenario (without any stats)?

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay, I had not thought of it the way you are thinking of it till now. If there were such a feat, how would you design it? Lethality is definetly an issue in the next campaign I'll be running and would like the players to have more choices for protecting themselves against death.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The best solution is not to use a feat but to use a houserule.

In two campaigns that I play in, PC's don't die at -10hp. they die at -(Con+level) hit points.

Thus my 4th level Monk with 13 Con dies at -17. My 11th level sorcerer with 14 Con dies at -25.

This gives blanket better survivability against the blow that takes them down without adding any extra power to the character. The diehard feat gets some extended usage but it's a two-feat chain so why not?

I think this (or something like it) would far and away be the best solution for your forthcoming campaign.

Cheers

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Along the same lines, I would think the feat would work better as -10 + Con level (if you really want to use it as a Feat). Afterall, the Toughness feat only gives you . . . 3 extra hit points? This woudl kind of be in the same vein as that, I would think.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay after much consideration I've figured I'd work it as this: it is a houseruling that when you select Diehard your deathpoint is modified.

You subtract your con modifier from your deathpoint.

You subtract your level from your deathpoint.

The application of Iron Will subtracts three from your deathpoint, but only if it is taken after you gain the Diehard feat.

You subtract three from your deathpoint for each time you select the Toughness feat (this is in addition to gaining three regular hit points, but only if this feat is taken after you gain the Diehard feat.

Lastly I think I have found a good use for my Extreme diehard feat: it grants you the ability to choose to act as if you were not disabled or dying (as you would normally be disabled).

-----------------------------

Thoughts?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Just a few quick comments.

Considering the new deathpoint house rule, I think the Improved Diehard feat works well as allowing the character to act as normal, rather than as disabled.

Also on a side note, I am surprised this wasnt picked up on, but your feat requires Four prerequisite feats (Endurance, Diehard, Iron Will and Toughness). I think that may be far too steep to ever see the feat used since it forces a series of Non-Optimal requirements.

Remove ads