• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Treasure of the Tierra Padre... [Knight Otu Judging]

Pbartender

First Post
The contract seems pretty straight forward. The language is exceedingly clear and concise, and is worded in a manner similar to the pirate hunting Letters of Marque many Kings issue. It's main purpose seems to be to eliminate any quibbling over the amount of payment due to the signees, and clearly delineates the goals of the expedition. It guarantees payment to the signee for items delivered, and threatens legal action should the signees break the contract.

Zweischneid said:
"Well.." the Half-Elf inquires with his low and raspy voice "how much are we to recieve for putting our lives on the line?"

Rupert turns a shrewd eye to Razir as he idly scratches an itch that seems to have materialized just above the richman's Adam's apple. "As it states in the contract, had you read a little more closely, the horses and provisions are yours to keep. You will also recieve a stipend of one hundred gold crowns upon your return for benefit of your time. In addition, as a bounty each of you will recieve a one-tenth share of the value of any artifacts recovered as determined by an independently hired appraisor."

Zweischneid said:
Ooc:

I assume someone from the original crew has that treasure map and some info on the dragon, lair, whatever else is known about this?

The treasure map is an apparently old and rumples bit of parchment. On one side is a hand drawn map, and the other has a written note:

OOC: The map is attached to this post.

Last edited:

Xael

First Post
Almayce scans the contract through, and is pleased to see that it doesn't have any tricks in it. He doesn't sign just yet though, and turns to speak to Rupert in a mildly polite tone: "While I perfectly understand the precautions you're taking, might I ask that the lock of hair I will leave to you is to be returned to me after the task is complete. Maybe not immediately after the task is completed, but after I have completed my part in this employment, and you have deemed that I have been honest in our dealings. You can probably understand that I'm reluctant to leave anything that could - even if only in theory - be used against me, in hands of other people. You should have no need for it after the contract has been fulfilled."

Whether or not Rupert agrees, Almayce will sign the contract anyway, and cut off a small lock off of his long white hair.

OOC: If it's of any help, Almayce has Diplomacy +7. Almayce is a bit lawyerish...

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Ignatious O'Reillly

Ignatious listens carefully to the conversation, and reads the contract with some patience. Assuming it seems to say what its supposed to say, he will sign and return it.

Zweischneid

First Post
Razir still hesitates for a moment, not entirely comfortable with this situation. After a while though he shrugs, trying to look relaxed, he scribbles his name at the bottom of the contract and hastens to return the paper as if it were a contagious thing.

Having signed the paper, the Half-Elf instinctively glances around like he's expecting a unit of guardsman to come rushing in.
If that doesn't happen, he relaxes a bit, rips out a strand of his white-blond hair and moves off closer to the exit to wait for the others to get ready.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Xael said:
"While I perfectly understand the precautions you're taking, might I ask that the lock of hair I will leave to you is to be returned to me after the task is complete. Maybe not immediately after the task is completed, but after I have completed my part in this employment, and you have deemed that I have been honest in our dealings. You can probably understand that I'm reluctant to leave anything that could - even if only in theory - be used against me, in hands of other people. You should have no need for it after the contract has been fulfilled."

"On the contrary, it is the bit that actually binds the contract and considered part of the legal document here in Orussus. Should the contract ever come into dispute, or the signees of the contract ever need to be contacted for any reason, good or ill, that bit of hair or blood makes it significantly easier to track them down.

"I'm afraid I have no say in it," he continues in consolation. "It is all at the insistance of my laywer. If it makes you feel any better, I don't doubt that there is enough of my own hair in the Orussus Public Records Vault to fashion wig of!"

Last edited:

Zweischneid

First Post
Idly wandering around the office, apprediating the luxurious decor and furniture, Razir again strays closer to Ruperts desk.

"I'm afraid I have no say in it," he continues in consolation. "It is all at the insistance of my laywer. If it makes you feel any better, I don't doubt that there is enough of my own hair in the Orussus Public Records Vault to fashion wig of!"

Admiring a painting next to Mr. Rupert the Half-Elf whispers
"Well, since no more ulterior motives interfere with our relationship, thanks to this splendid contract, you might maybe tell us a bit more about the way you've obtained this map and information, and especially some bits about the Wyrm whose treasure we'll be stealing."

Turning his mist-grey eyes towards their employee the Rogue adds hushed
"After all, I've been living in this town for all many years, and never have I heard even the slightest rumors about a dragon within one, or five or even ten days ride of Orussus, except of course the Red whose lair we all just left."

Coughing dryly a few times after the strenous speech, Razir studies Rupert closely only half expecting an answer, even a false one.

----

Ooc:
I'd do a Sense Motive but it would be only at +0 I just noticed... great Rogue I am (note to self - fix that). Give me some more info anyways ;)

Last edited:

GPEKO

First Post
Gath

Gath looks at the contract. He can't understand any of it as his orcish mother was also illiterate and their human master never bothered with the education of his slaves. He's used to signing contracts however but he still doesn't understand why people feel so secured by only a simple piece of paper. "Gath be signing that. No problem" Gath picks up a nearby inkpen and clumsily marks down a 'X' on the piece of parchment. He then uses the blade of his glaive to cut a lock of hair and to draw a bit of blood.

Knight Otu

First Post
(Judge Post
GPEKO - just remembered something I noticed in Bastards while you were away. As a multiclassed Barbarian/Fighter, you'd normally be literate. I assume you want to keep the illiteracy for flavor and logic reasons (since it would be hard to learn reading in the situations you were in)?)

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy

Iggy figures the others basically know the scoop. Once the group is on the way, he'll quiz them a bit about what happened on their first attempt.

Pbartender

First Post
Zweischneid said:
Turning his mist-grey eyes towards their employee the Rogue adds hushed "After all, I've been living in this town for all many years, and never have I heard even the slightest rumors about a dragon within one, or five or even ten days ride of Orussus, except of course the Red whose lair we all just left."

Coughing dryly a few times after the strenous speech, Razir studies Rupert closely only half expecting an answer, even a false one.

"I had been wondering that myself," Rupert replies, "and so I did a little research and consulted a few historians and libraries around."

"In the early days of Orussus, I've been told, a great many dragons inhabited the area... Especially over in the the Stonespike mountains and the Larkenvald Reach. Some of the scholars even think that they might be the reason the previous inhabitants of the city left. Present day Orussus isn't the first incarnation of the city, you see, and is actually built upon a multitude of layers of ruins and rubble. But that's beside the point, eh?

"The dragons," he continues, "were certainly the impetus that originally drew so many adventurers to the city. There are many tales of dragon slayings that detail magnificent hordes recovered. There also several tales that don't mention a horde at all. There are, however, none that tell of the death of a dragon, and a horde that was left behind... After all, if you went out and tookl the trouble killed a dragon but couldn't find its horde, would you tell anyone? Hah! I'd think not."

Remove ads