• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few Ebberon adventure path questions...

Barmy Gith

First Post
I'm currently running the Forgotten Forge - Emerald Claw Adventure Path, and there are a few things that I haven't been able to figure out. Any answers, suggestions, or advice about the questions below would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to dispense any wisdom about future pitfalls in the series to be wary of; my 2nd lvl PCs are currently at Rose Quarry having just retreated from a rather foolishly attempted engagement with the Emerald Claw Camp in the R1 area.

Question 1)

In the Forgotten Forge, the PCs found a map with the schema. In that adventure it claims the purpose of the map will be revealed in Shadows of the Last War, yet I can't find any mention of the map anywhere. What is it suppose to be a map of or related to? Is it somehow related to the map room in Rose Quarry?

Question 2)

Besides opening the seal in the sewers in Forgotten Forge does the d'Cannith journal do anything else? My PCs returned it to Lady Elaydren. Is there a problem later in the adventure arc that relies on the PCs carrying the journal?

Thanks in advance to any who aswer...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Question 1)

In the Forgotten Forge, the PCs found a map with the schema. In that adventure it claims the purpose of the map will be revealed in Shadows of the Last War, yet I can't find any mention of the map anywhere. What is it suppose to be a map of or related to? Is it somehow related to the map room in Rose Quarry?

It is, in fact, a dangler that was never cleared up in the later modules. Use it however you see fit.

Keith Baker says, "That one's a mystery to me, actually. My guess is that at some point in editing, someone had the idea to add this in as some additional level to Shadows and then forgot about it. So yes, this should be removed. Alternately, it can be left in as a hook for the DM to do something with. But sure, it should be mentioned [in the errata]."

Question 2)

Besides opening the seal in the sewers in Forgotten Forge does the d'Cannith journal do anything else? My PCs returned it to Lady Elaydren. Is there a problem later in the adventure arc that relies on the PCs carrying the journal?

No. The journal only applies to the events in the Forgotten Forge. You do not need it in the later adventures.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Napftor

Explorer
I just ran my players through the Forgotten Forge yesterday and we all had fun. Our first Eberron experience. The PCs picked up the map and didn't seem too excited about it. I'm don't really have the "feel" of Eberron down in my mind yet, but that's why I decided to use the published adventures.

How many folks have run the series? Was it an enjoyable intro to the setting?

Zelgadas

First Post
Napftor said:
I'm don't really have the "feel" of Eberron down in my mind yet, but that's why I decided to use the published adventures.

If you want to get more of a feel for what Eberron is, go pick up the City of Towers novel by Keith Baker. It's a good read, and does a great job of immersing you in the feel of Eberron.

Napftor

Explorer
Zelgadas said:
If you want to get more of a feel for what Eberron is, go pick up the City of Towers novel by Keith Baker. It's a good read, and does a great job of immersing you in the feel of Eberron.

I picked it up recently but didn't get a chance to read it yet. Guess I'll have to make time. Thanks!

Barmy Gith

First Post
Thanks for answering those questions MerricB. That really cleared things up.

So far the adventure arc has been very enjoyable for myself and my PCs. I really like the way the adventure contains several of the more interesting factions of the campaign setting, and you could still likely find room to tie in others based on what your PCs play. For instance, our changeling PC is looking into joining the Tyrants in Sharn. Which reminds me, Sharn is really cool, or at least the source book about Sharn is really cool, and now that I found an index for the source book at Keith Baker's website, it is far more useable as well.

The only thing that I have found somewhat tough about running the adventures is that, due to the often rapid change in environs and since this is my first dip into the setting, I sometimes don't feel like I have a good grasp on how one area is different from another and how an area is atypical of regular D&D. For instance, I wish I had played up the factional nature of the goblinoid nation more and done some more with safety banners and etc.

By the way, does anyone know why Rose Quarry is covered in glass? Is that a result of the day of Mourning? Or was that some sort of d'Cannith refinery experiment gone awry?
Anyone know?

Remove ads