• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Undead Lincoln said:
The reason that there is not royal dynasty is that half orcs are sterile.

Hey, Mr. Zombie President. ;)

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to ask you to remove this last sentence, to match up with stuff already stated. Someone else already said that a population of barbarian half-orcs were breeding with each other, so I'm afraid they can't be sterile.

I really need to get another consolidated update post put together, don't I? This is, indeed, starting to get confusing. :)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Twiggly the Gnome said:
They consider the debasement of the symbol of the Dawn into a creature created in the elves own image, the "god" Corythos, a blasphemy of the highest order.
I wasn't sure if the bit about no gods applied just to Eyros or to the whole world. If the latter then the religion could be changed to the worship of positive energy itself. Perhaps call them the Church of Light. That's more interesting anyway, I feel.

New bit: To the extreme north lies the frozen land of Kwlloch, a plateau surrounded by the vast peaks of the Salruhn range. Kwlloch is, and always has been, ruled by The Twelve. Little is known about this group but they are unlikely to be human, the land being predominantly inhabited by goblinoids and frost folk. Shapeshifters, such as lycanthropes and dopplegangers, are also relatively common. The Twelve's system of government seems to survive even the worst of the ice ages, perhaps because they are inured to any degree of cold. From time to time The Twelve send great beasts from their realm to raid the southern lands.

Last edited:

Doug McCrae said:
I wasn't sure if the bit about no gods applied just to Eyros or to the whole world. If the latter then the religion could be changed to the worship of positive energy itself. Perhaps call them the Church of Light. That's more interesting anyway, I feel.

No problem, I was just trying to reconcile the two ideas. Perhaps the Dawnist Church is the dominant religion in Nistadeen, with the Cult of the Second Sun being an offshoot. The religion spread through interaction between merchants of the two nations, leading to the conversion of House Kiron, who now seek an alliance between Eyros and Nistadeen.

That turns my last post completely on it's head, but that's cool. :cool:

Andor

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Much of the land that makes up present-day Eyros was once, thousands of years ago, an elven province. From the northern highlands an invading army of orc and human tribes marched through the fertile elven steppes where they sacked and destroyed the splendid elven cities. Eventually the conquering army reached the base of Mt. Xark where they declared total victory over the elves and founded the city of Eyrdeyn to be their capitol over their newly conquered lands.

Undead Lincon said:
150 years ago there was a war of anihilation between Orcs and Humans. A huge proportion of both populations were killed. A truce was brokered by Agathon of the Crimson robe. As a half orc, he was the only one who could deal with both sides. He became the first king. Since then only half orcs can become king as to offend neither humans or orcs.

These two don't work together. Also most of the work to date has implied a civilization a lot more than 150 years old. Not that I want to step on anyone elses toes, but I don't think the latter idea works.

So as not to waste a post shooting someone else (sorry) Here's my bit:

The Draconic Legacy has an unbreakable tradition of Sanctuary. Anyone who ask for sanctuary at a temple must be granted it, and cannot be evicted unless they violate the hospitality of the cult.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

language

> Speaking stonechant, the orc name for the

> dwarven language, is a crime in Eyros

> punishable by removal of the speaker’s tongue.

On the subject of languages…

Most people in the Sovereignty speak Vulgar Eyrosian, also known as Peasant Speech, the Common Tongue, or simply Eyrosian. This language combines the now-dead language of Ancient Vraylese (from which most human languages are derived) with a large infusion of orcish words. Meanwhile, legal documents are required to be written (and royal decrees spoken) in Noble Eyrosian, known to most commoners as Court Speech. This language has become softer and more refined than the tribal orcish tongues from which it is derived.

The two dialects are closely related; native speakers of one can understand speech in the other 90% of the time. However, court documents written in Noble Eyrosian use the old orcish pictograms, very concise but challenging to learn.

ironregime
(ok so I lied about the length of my post... ;-)

VirgilCaine

First Post
In one of the few extant woodland areas of Eyros, a relatively malign, bestial reptile cult has been growing among the local elves. Worship of a half-fiend tyrannosaurus named Vildaxaranthus has caused some of the elves to devolve, becoming brutish, larger, and strong, almost dire (effectively ogres with elven racial traits). Scary stories are told to Eyrian children about the forest elves and these rumours are oft used as justification for the enslavement of the unrelated elven thralls.

These Forest Elves have suffered no reduction in mental capacity from this "devolution", making them superior to elves as fighters. Who or what is responsible for the creation of this cult and how it will be used is unknown. Rumors suggest a dragon, allied with evil outsiders.

Undead Lincoln

First Post
Andor said:
These two don't work together. Also most of the work to date has implied a civilization a lot more than 150 years old. Not that I want to step on anyone elses toes, but I don't think the latter idea works.

I don't think that they are in conflict. Civil wars happen all of the time, and empires fragment and reform. Look at the US in the real world. The Civil War did not undo the political organization of the founding.

domino

First Post
Undead Lincoln said:
Andor said:
I don't think that they are in conflict. Civil wars happen all of the time, and empires fragment and reform. Look at the US in the real world. The Civil War did not undo the political organization of the founding.
That wasn't a war of anhilliation, either. Even that, the bloodiest war in US history only had a total 3-4% casualty rate. And about half of that wasn't even deaths.

But, for my contribution.

To the South East exists a large sea. So large, in fact, that it is seemingly endless. Despite numerous attempts to sail to the end, no ships have returned with tales of land or any sort of end. Indeed, no ships that have returned ever sailed further than a weeks voyage away from the mainland.

There are ancient tales of monsters in the depths, but none have ever been seen. At least, by those who have lived to tell the tale.

Goblyn

Explorer
Cool.

VirgilCaine said:
These Forest Elves have suffered no reduction in mental capacity from this "devolution", making them superior to elves as fighters. Who or what is responsible for the creation of this cult and how it will be used is unknown. Rumors suggest a dragon, allied with evil outsiders.

Far below the main city of Eyros grows an enormous hatred in the form of a subterranean Assassin vine. Every year it grows larger, up through the ruins created by each rebuilding of Eyrdeyn.

Mouseferatu wins the "Most bestest thread idea in da woild" prize.

Remove ads