• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rystil's Neospelljamming Gestalt Setting: Berserker and Eldritch Infiltrator Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanee

First Post
I think I understood it.

Basically you can swap between all permutations of +2/+0/+0, +2/+2/-2 and +4/-2/-2 (not entirely sure about that one, but it sounds that way (an extra "penalty", if you want to pile the bonuses together), tho adding up would rather lead to +4/+0/-2) each for the two sets of physical/mental attributes, given a fitting form, of course. Otherwise it works kinda like Disguise Self/Alter Self (more the first, just not illusory), I suppose?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
One question that comes to mind... what is their "natural" state (i.e. which Int modifier is used for skill points, I think that's the only part where it is really relevant apart from the obvious appearance question)?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Thanee said:
I think I understood it.

Basically you can swap between all permutations of +2/+0/+0, +2/+2/-2 and +4/-2/-2 (not entirely sure about that one, but it sounds that way (an extra "penalty", if you want to pile the bonuses together), tho adding up would rather lead to +4/+0/-2) each for the two sets of physical/mental attributes, given a fitting form, of course. Otherwise it works kinda like Disguise Self/Alter Self (more the first, just not illusory), I suppose?

Bye
Thanee
Yes, that's exactly right. And you can also cycle to +2/+0/+0 if you don't want to have a penalty ;)

Oh and it actually is an Alter Self effect, which allows you to turn into Medium or Small humanoids (don't worry, you won't be encountering any Troglodytes or other 5-HD-or-less humanoids with absurd natural armour ;) ).

And here's some more tidbits on the Dolathi:

Dolathi have no natural form, so despite being aberrations, they are never immune to humanoid-affecting magic because they are always in humanoid form. The closest they have to a natural form is a featureless pure-white gooey mass shaped like a statue of a human, which has all the normal senses despite lacking the appropriate organs, but they usually only turn into this form to give a "Hey, I'm a Dolathi!" message to someone, and even this may be the form of some humanoid that Dolathi culture had long-ago preempted for their own use. Curiously, True Seeing and similar magic employed on Dolathi by curious Altanian arcanists who wanted to know their true form detects them as nonexistant, as if they are intrinsically immune to the effect, but the Dolathi aren't talking.

Thanee

First Post
So, what Int would skill points be based upon then? +2 or +0 (those seem the most reasonable)?

And am I guessing right, that alternate form is an (Ex) ability taking a standard action to activate with an unlimited duration?

Bye
Thanee

Rystil Arden

First Post
Thanee said:
So, what Int would skill points be based upon then? +2 or +0 (those seem the most reasonable)?

And am I guessing right, that alternate form is an (Ex) ability taking a standard action to activate with an unlimited duration?

Bye
Thanee
Skill-point selection is based on +0 Int. Its one of the sacrifices the Dolathi make for their versatility. But since the mental stats were arguably existant somewhere in their malleable and partitioned mind, Dolathi gain a +2 bonus to any one skill in which they do not have ranks for each +2 they assign to their Intelligence, which fades when the Intelligence drops. This does not allow them to use the skill untrained, though. And the Alternate Form is indeed Ex with a standard action to activate with an unlimited duration. As usual for Ex abilities, it does not provoke an attack of opportunity. There's also a feat you can take, Fast Shifting [Dolathi] to use Alternate Form as a move-equivalent action.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmm...since I've posted like a gazillion (or maybe a bajillion?) nymphs without mentioning what the nymph abilities are beyond the stat raises, I thought I'd post those now:

Dazzling Beauty: Like Blinding Beauty, but with DC 11+Charisma mod and it Dazzles instead of blinding

Symbiosis: I mentioned the required situation for Symbiosis in each nymph entry. A nymph who spend a full-round action in the appropriate situation soaking in the natural energy gains 1 hp. This is somewhat like Fast Healing except that it isn't very useful in combat.

Skill bonuses: Depending on type, nymphs get +2 to two different skills

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Wow, lots o posting goodness.

If I can see both classes before deciding I would like to. I'm still torn over the Arcanist and the Marksman.

Thanks !!
Keia

Rystil Arden

First Post
Keia said:
Wow, lots o posting goodness.

If I can see both classes before deciding I would like to. I'm still torn over the Arcanist and the Marksman.

Thanks !!
Keia
I'll try to get to it soon, although methinks I will take a four-hour rest soon, as I haven't had sleep since...a while ago. The main problem is reconstructing all the abilities from memory, although a lot of those wouldn't matter until higher levels anyways and if I screw up, it doesn't really matter since I'm the one who invented them in the first place, so its not like the old rules would have necessarily been better ;). That said, I'm pretty sure I remember most of the Arcanist, and I had one playtester who almost played a Marksman, so the info on that should be somewhere in my outbox, I think ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
OK, so let's see if I have the information for each prospective player correct:

Keia: Altanian Arcanist or Dolathi Marksman
Thanee: Dolathi Eldritch Infiltrator
Silentspace: Tralg Berserker
Eonthar: Mojiin Preserver, Melodian Treesinger, or Lacerta Totemist
Brother Shatterstone: Probably something Amaranthian, likely involving one of the bevy of Nymphs rather than the Sidhe.

And then that leaves one space open for when I actually get around to putting up a real recruiting thread.

My gameplan (for now): First I'll give brief abstracts of the classes for Eonthar, as I fear that I haven't done so yet. Then more detail on the Mojiin, the Melodians, and the Lacerta because races are easy to do compared to classes. Next, I'll try to get full class descriptions for Marksman and Arcanist. Then, I'll work on the three classes for Eonthar, although maybe he will narrow down to two based on the abstracts. Once BS figures out which nymph type to pick, that will probably also help him narrow down classes, and we'll see what I need to write up. And of course, the Berserker and the Eldritch Infiltrator. In fact, I may do them sooner in line than is efficient just because I don't want to feel like I'm ignoring the people who were more decisive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads