• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gripe Session about a bad experience

DaveyJones

First Post
So I just got back from the latest session of our group. I'm the DM. And well it is a big group with alot of different personalities. But one player is really starting to get under my skin. The dude doesn't even pay attention to our group posts. Read the notes from the previous session. Nor give any time to the other players.

Total Drama queen, too.

His first character (paladin) got killed awhile back. And he wanted to try a new and different concept (fighter). Yet, he is basically playing the same character. He is supposed to be a guard for the mage in the party. But instead of playing the guard he is pushing the other more powerful characters around.

I'm ready to give in and let the other players kill his PC.

ForceUser

Explorer
I almost took this seriously until I realized that it was "Talk Like a Pirate Day" and your username is Davey Jones. Combined with your awesome postcount, I'm going to label this one a (benign) troll. ;)

Er, argh, matey. :p

JoeGKushner

First Post
Have you pulled him to the side and explained to him that his character's motivation for being in the party, being the guard for the mage, isn't really in use?

Have the other players expressed a desire to kill the character?

Sometimes people don't get along. I'd rather lose one bad player than a group due to one bad player.

DaveyJones

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Have you pulled him to the side and explained to him that his character's motivation for being in the party, being the guard for the mage, isn't really in use?

Have the other players expressed a desire to kill the character?

Sometimes people don't get along. I'd rather lose one bad player than a group due to one bad player.

I've been working with him about his concept from the start. His wife is playing the mage. And the two of them thought it would be cool to stay linked. Unfortunately, she has missed a few sessions. His character is level 1 on the verge of becoming level 2. But hers is level 3.

Yes, I've received emails, PMs, and private talks about kicking him to the curb. And although, everyone likes his wife, since she has be absent it has come up more often.

I thought about this too. Potentially going to lose 3 players (a couple and their friend) vs 2 (this guy and his wife). And then 5 others caught in the middle.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It sounds like a tough play. Are you sure you're not a pirate?

I agree with JoeGKushner above. Take the guy aside and talk with him out of game. One on one is probably the best way. Maybe he is going through a tough time? Maybe his wife is leaving him and that's why she hasn't shown up? Who's to say for sure?

My motto is to ALWAYS deal with player problems out-of-character. There is enough difficulty in a game to begin with. Dealing with another person's problems from behind the guise of a pseudonym is potentially dangerous. You never know what they will take personally. And how can he or she tell the difference when the DM changes the game to deal with their real world problems instead of leaving the focus on the game's imaginary ones?

If you boot 'em (Arrrrrrrrrr...), I would bring the whole group in on it. I don't believe in DM as parent. If you're gaming with adults, simply expect them to be so.

DaveyJones

First Post
howandwhy99 said:
If you boot 'em (Arrrrrrrrrr...), I would bring the whole group in on it. I don't believe in DM as parent. If you're gaming with adults, simply expect them to be so.

I don't believe in DM as parent either. But I do feel an obligation to respond to requests by the others to talk it out with the player.

I have initiated feedback from the group on an individual basis and will continue to do so until I have a good understanding of what they want done.

moritheil

First Post
DaveyJones said:
I don't believe in DM as parent either. But I do feel an obligation to respond to requests by the others to talk it out with the player.

I have initiated feedback from the group on an individual basis and will continue to do so until I have a good understanding of what they want done.

Send him to yer locker!

Xombie Master

First Post
On a side note:
I don't hesitate in game to tell a player they are being disruptive. The whole take them aside thing is good if your group consists of people who aren't close friends. I only game with close friends so they can take criticism. We yell, we joke, we get on with the game. If your player is not a "close" friend then taking them aside would be the best course of action.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads