• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Publishers that dislike d20 . . .

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
. . . but still publish d20/ogl products.

I've seen this happen in the past and wondered what people thought of that sort of attitude. In my opinion it's not difficult to spot products created by people that dislike d20 but I'm wondering if anyone even cares.

Personally, there are very few games that I dislike. I think it's the result of far, far too many games systems absorbed and played over the years. I'm not sure why but I can usually find something to take from almost any system (though there are a couple that I would never touch again).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
One would hope that a publisher actually likes what they're doing, so if they don't like d20, but publishing it anyway I'm sure it shows in the quality of the work (although "quality" is such a subjective term that it may make such a point meaningless).

So, let's just say, from a personal point of view, if you don't like d20, please create something else.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
DaveMage said:
So, let's just say, from a personal point of view, if you don't like d20, please create something else.

Then it won't sell.

Compare ENWorld to RPG.net or the Forge (the indy gaming Forge, not the incredibly talented Polish fantasy art Forge). ENWorld dominates. I'm not dissing RPG.net, but consider that they include d20 and ENWorld tacitly excludes non-d20.

Then factor in WotC. Ka-boom.

Give me the best game system there is. My guys still won't play it. They don't want to re-learn another game system. They want to show up, roll dice, pretend that they're an elf, and have fun. That's what d20 does and it does it well. Maybe you have to jigger it so that it is C&C or True20 or Iron Heroes, but it still does the job very nicely.

Back on topic....

... actually I have nothing to contribute on topic. I like d20. I like the Shadowrun setting, but I wish it was d20. I'm a shallow d20 fool. I want to buy Traveler d20 just so I can buy Firefly RPG and convert it to d20. I hear Sorceror is a great game ... but there are no levels, d20s, or prestige classes. I'd convert Amber to d20 but I think if I did that Greg Costikyan would send the RPG Assasination Squad after me.

Just my 1 cent (that certainly wasn't worth two)

Tinner

First Post
Monte At Home said:
I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks.

Man is Tweet gonna ticked that you're dissing him like that! :D
Or were you talking about Skip?

Pramas

Explorer
Monte At Home said:
I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks.

Yeah, and it clearly was just a rip off of [insert your favorite game here]. Oh, did I say rip off, sorry, I meant clever derivative...

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Most of the companies that tried that, stopped.

Pinnacle decided to come up with their own system (I was probably the only one that liked their d20 stuff anyway, though some of their new rules made it into Dragonstar and apparently Spycraft)

Chaosium quit trying to dual stat their stuff.

Avalanche seems to have stopped RPG stuff

I think SJG's only foray into d20 was only meant as a joke, anyway. As was what Wick guy's.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I've heard that Mongoose (at least the upper management) would be far more interested in doing miniature wargames, but do d20 because it's profitable.

Glyfair

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
I think SJG's only foray into d20 was only meant as a joke, anyway. As was what Wick guy's.

I don't think Wick's was a joke. I think it was mostly just an ego stroke. He was trying to say that d20 is horrible, but I can write the only good d20 adventure. At least, the side discussion about it seemed to strongly imply that theme.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads