• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Niobe's Dilemma (Manzanita Judging)

Bront

The man with the probe
GnomeWorks said:
"Ya mentioned somethin' 'bout th' room bein' untouched... I'm not one fer formalities, Pician, an' this whole thing a bringin' us ta dinner an' whatnot kinda irks me, I'll admit. Almost like ye're showin' off, er somethin'. Point bein', we're wastin' time, an' th' trail's gettin' cold. I'm a decen' tracker, an' I've been dealin' wi' quite a few people recently, so my skills wi' trackin' humans specifically is prolly better'n most, but ev'ry minute we're sittin' aroun' is another minute th' trail gets harder ta follow, y'know? Th' sooner I kin check out th' room, th' better."

The ranger pauses.

"I guess what I'm tryin' ta say is ta cut ta th' chase, y'know? Tell us what ya know, what ye're willin' ta pay us, an' we'll see if we kin fin' th' girl."
"Well, the room has been untouched excpet the guard's body has been removed, but it's been over a week at this point. But if you feel that time is of the essance, I can have dinner held till you are ready to partake it. I had just thought that perhaps you would like a real meal after your long treck. Having made a long carriage ride myself, I can attest it is far from comfortable after the first few days."

"As for what I know, well, it could be a long story, and I thought answering your immediate questions first might help. As for your fee, well, If you can bring back my Niobe, in addition to my gratitude, I can offer you 40,000* gold."

*I believe that's the right number, my notes are at home.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
"You might call him Cedric Nassir of Earling. However, he has lost his old name when he left to become a wanderer."
"How would you know this?" Pacian asks, quite interested.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I mentioned this earlier in Orussus. Troi and I met Carsis at a festival in Covington. He was there through the entire festival, and we returned to Orussus just after it ended. This is why the timing for him to reach Earling and then you to head to Orussus after the kidnapping would be incredibly rushed, even for our fastest runners."

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
"I mentioned this earlier in Orussus. Troi and I met Carsis at a festival in Covington. He was there through the entire festival, and we returned to Orussus just after it ended. This is why the timing for him to reach Earling and then you to head to Orussus after the kidnapping would be incredibly rushed, even for our fastest runners."
"Yes... yes you did... but you didn't mention that you knew he was my brother. Are you sure? Anyway, I still think he is the lead suspect, but I am hiring you to find out for sure. I guess I can only hope that my cowardly brother is not behind this."

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Pician
"Well, the room has been untouched excpet the guard's body has been removed, but it's been over a week at this point. But if you feel that time is of the essance, I can have dinner held till you are ready to partake it. I had just thought that perhaps you would like a real meal after your long treck. Having made a long carriage ride myself, I can attest it is far from comfortable after the first few days."

"I s'pose an hour er so won't hurt so much, then. I don't like ta sit aroun' while there's somethin' ta be done, y'know? An' real meals..." The ranger shrugs. "I've been wanderin' th' roads fer quite awhile now. A real meal is anythin' that's warm."

Pician
"As for what I know, well, it could be a long story, and I thought answering your immediate questions first might help. As for your fee, well, If you can bring back my Niobe, in addition to my gratitude, I can offer you 40,000* gold."

Troi pauses mid-motion, then his eyebrows furrow slightly.

Forty-thousand... thousands, so three zeroes... forty, so four...

Damn.

"That is quite th' sum." Troi says. The ranger leans back in his chair.

Pician
"Yes... yes you did... but you didn't mention that you knew he was my brother. Are you sure? Anyway, I still think he is the lead suspect, but I am hiring you to find out for sure. I guess I can only hope that my cowardly brother is not behind this."

Troi shrugs. "I doubt he is. He seemed like a nice guy, when we met 'im."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Perhaps he is not your brother, but he fights wit ha spear, and he mentioned leaving his home as the heir to a noble family so that his younger brother could be with a woman named Niobe because he thought his younger brother would make the better lord and husband to the lady. I do not think this is mere coincidence."

Bront

The man with the probe
GnomeWorks said:
"I s'pose an hour er so won't hurt so much, then. I don't like ta sit aroun' while there's somethin' ta be done, y'know? An' real meals..." The ranger shrugs. "I've been wanderin' th' roads fer quite awhile now. A real meal is anythin' that's warm."
"Aye, I've been hunting a few times, so I can imagine. Eat what you wish. I'll make sure none goes to waste."
GnomeWorks said:
"That is quite th' sum." Troi says. The ranger leans back in his chair.
"Indeed, but tis pitance compaired to loosing my love."
[sblock=Lasair]You notice he not only didn't mention the ransom or the barrony, but the words rung with a solid truth to them.[/sblock]
GnomeWorks said:
Troi shrugs. "I doubt he is. He seemed like a nice guy, when we met 'im."
"I don't think a 'nice guy' would run out on his family as he did."

"Cedric was poised to be the heir to the barrony, though he didn't seem to interested in it. I spent my time, as a good son, training and learning from Father, while he prefered to sing and day dream in the gardens. When he was betrothed to Niobe, we rejoiced for him, as she was perhaps the most saught after woman in the land, for her beauty is second to none, and her heart just as pure. But no, he disapeared into the night, and took a family heirloom with him. When he was gone for several months, my father was forced to elevate me to be his Heir, and Niobe and I were wed a few months later. However, he jeprodized the succession, as well as put the entire family off kilter with his move. The nobles were shocked, and have only reciently grown to accept me as the rightful heir. It is over 2 years later, and the damage he did is still felt in this family. 'Nice guy' indeed."

OOC: Gonna let Wilhelm and Jaan get some words in ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
"He knew your love for Niobe...he left so that the two of you coul be together, for with the unusual way your culture arranges marriages, she could only marry the heir."

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Wilhelm is quiet for most of the conversation, sips at the offered glass of water.

There are many things that Men would forsake for love, filial or otherwise. I wish that I had met this Carsis or Cedric

"Lord Pician, a Man of your status must have enemies. Would you know of any who would try to masquerade as your brother in order to set you and yours apart?"

A week old?! I hope this Troi is tracker enough for this task. It would make this quest much easier...

Remove ads