Little Powergaming Rules That Slip By

Iku Rex

Explorer
Paraxis said:
I don't have it in front of me but I thought they made true strike into a swift aciton spell in the spell compendium,...
Nope. (You may be thinking of wraithstrike, lv 2 Sor/Wiz, all melee attacks as touch attacks.)

Paraxis said:
My favorite loop hole is 2 ghost touch weapons and a ring of blinking, constant sneak attack I know it can get done in other ways just like the effect and look.
Doesn't work. Ghost touch weapons won't let you strike into the material plane from the ethereal plane. (Blink + sneak attack is still a good combo though.)

JonnyFive

First Post
Paraxis said:
I don't have it in front of me but I thought they made true strike into a swift aciton spell in the spell compendium, that way you could cast it and get one +20 attack off in the same round.

My favorite loop hole is 2 ghost touch weapons and a ring of blinking, constant sneak attack I know it can get done in other ways just like the effect and look.

how does that work?

JonnyFive

First Post
Iku Rex said:
Doesn't work. Ghost touch weapons won't let you strike into the material plane from the ethereal plane. (Blink + sneak attack is still a good combo though.)
actualy you can attack from the etheral plane with ghost touch weapons

SRD said:
Ghost Touch: A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.

also i think i get the constant sneak attack. my guess is that if you can see both the material an ethereal plane that it will not work right?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Paraxis said:

Not a loophole as it doesn't give you any benefit. Ghost touch allows you to strike incorporeal, not ethereal. And it doesn't allow you to strike from ethereal into the material plane, i.e. you still get the miss chance on your attacks on blinking, whether you have ghost touch weapons or not.

You can hit incorporeal ethereal creatures just fine though!

Cheers

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
JonnyFive said:

also i think i get the constant sneak attack. my guess is that if you can see both the material an ethereal plane that it will not work right?

A manifesting ghost has left the ethereal plane and is incorporeal, hence he can use the ghost touch weapon... he can't use the ghost touch weapon while still ethereal.

Ghost touch strikes incorporeal creatures, not ethereal creatures.

Cheers

Iku Rex

Explorer
airwalkrr said:
Leap Attack + Shock Trooper (heedless charge) + total Power Attack + Frenzied Berzerker's supreme power attack to get your damage into quadruple digits and hit 95% of the time.
Just note that Leap Attack and Supreme Power Attack won't stack 100%, as they multiply the same value. And Leap Attack probably isn't supposed to work as written.

If you really want to go crazy with the charge there are more ways to stack up the damage.

• The valorous weapon ability (+1) from Unapproachable East lets you deal double damage on a charge. (UE is a "3.25" book. IMO the 3.5 version would be +2d6 damage on a charge, like the rhino hide armor.)
  • Rhino hide armor. Adds +2d6 damage on a charge.
  • The rhino's rush (Pal 1, Rgr 1, Wrath 1) spell from the Spell compendium lets you deal double damage on a charge and is cast as a swift action.
  • The Powerful Charge and Greater Powerful Charge feats from the ECS add damage dice (+1d8 -> +2d6 for a Medium character) on a charge.
  • The Blood-Spiked Charge tactical feat from PHBII lets you add 2x Str bonus to damage and attack with both spiked shield and spiked armor on a charge.
  • Centaurs (4HD, +2 LA) deal double damage with a lance on a charge. And they have a +8 racial bonus to Str... If the DM lets you apply mounted combat feats to yourself, Spirited Charge makes that 3x damage.

MarkB

Legend
JonnyFive said:
Nope. Your quote is irrelevant, since it deals with incorporeal creatures. A creature on the ethereal plane is not incorporeal, they are ethereal.

That's correct.

JonnyFive

First Post
MarkB said:
Nope. Your quote is irrelevant, since it deals with incorporeal creatures. A creature on the ethereal plane is not incorporeal, they are ethereal.

ah ok, mix up of terms on my part, sorry :p

MarkB

Legend
JonnyFive said:
ah ok, mix up of terms on my part, sorry :p
No problem, I've done it myself. The game uses similar rules for many aspects of Incorporeality and Etherealness, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Paraxis

Explorer
Can someone break this down more for me, as far as I can see, ghost touch+blink does bypass the 20% miss chance you face. Follow my logic and expain where I am wrong please.

-Ghost touch uses plane shift as the spell in creation, so some form of planer sidesteping is in use there my guess would be ethereal plane.

-The fact that ghosts use ghost touch weapons to overcome the same limitation on being in the eatherel plane.

-If this doesn't work, can you think of anything that would let you sneak attack from the eatheral plane while blinking?

Remove ads