I have a complaint (FC 1)

the Jester

Legend
So I picked up Fiendish Codex I and overall I am very pleased. However, I have one major gripe- the monsters' stat blocks include an adjustment for Power Attack, but they don't tell you how much!

Here's a plea to WotC that they correct this for the MM4 and other future books. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass to figure out! :confused:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Don't worry - you're not the first person to notice this, nor the first to complain. On the Hordes of the Abyss Q&A thread, James Jacobs even mentioned that his original turnovers included the Power Attack modifiers and they were removed in editing. Outcry and conspiracy theory followed.

So it's certainly too late for the MMIV to get PA modifiers added if they weren't in the finished draft, but it's possible that sufficient hue and cry (or the editors realizing it's an exceptionally stupid idea) will reverse the decision for future books. Let's hope.

Demiurge out.

the Jester

Legend
demiurge1138 said:
Don't worry - you're not the first person to notice this, nor the first to complain. On the Hordes of the Abyss Q&A thread, James Jacobs even mentioned that his original turnovers included the Power Attack modifiers and they were removed in editing.

Wow, that's like.... anti-editing or something.

Damn, damn stupid. IMNSHO.

delericho

Legend
the Jester said:
Wow, that's like.... anti-editing or something.

Damn, damn stupid. IMNSHO.

I'm inclined to agree.

Has anyone gone to the effort of working out the modifiers that have been applied? Care to share that information?

SinisterSage

First Post
With the exception of Grazzt every monster with a PA entry uses a 5-point power attack.

Half of the stat block errors in the book seem to stem from the developers effort to change James Jacob's PA values to this standardized 5-point PA.
For instance, the original Bulezau from Dragon 341 uses a 3-point PA and has a correct attack line, while the Bulezau in FC1 uses 5 points and its damage output is one point to high.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
SinisterSage said:
With the exception of Grazzt every monster with a PA entry uses a 5-point power attack.

Half of the stat block errors in the book seem to stem from the developers effort to change James Jabob's PA values to this standardized 5-point PA.
For instance, the original Bulezau from Dragon 341 uses a 3-point PA and has a correct attack line, while the Bulezau in FC1 uses 5 points and its damage output is one point to high.

Translation: WotC needs to hire more people who actually play/run the damn game!

Psychic Warrior

First Post
That does seem dumb. Even a line of text at the beginning of the book stating that all stat blocks have a X point power attack would have sufficed. Personally I'd rather they didn't bother adding any PA bonuses - I think any Dm, even one brand new to the game, can figure out something as simple as Power Attack.

delericho

Legend
Psychic Warrior said:
I think any Dm, even one brand new to the game, can figure out something as simple as Power Attack.

You would think so, but the stat-block errors in FC1 would appear to disagree!

Remove ads