Misc. Monsters

SinisterSage

First Post
And another undead. Didn't find a better name, so I used the german word for butcher. :heh:

Metzgermeister
Large Undead
Hit Dice: 22d12 (143 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30ft.
Armor Class: 29 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +16 natural, +2 leather apron), touch 11, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+25
Attack: Large cleaver +21 melee (1d8+10) or slam +16 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Large cleaver +21/+16/+11 melee (2d6+10/19-20) and slam +16 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Gut, improved grab, meat-hook
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/magic, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +15
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 14, Con -, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Appraise +12, Climb +23, Listen +27, Profession (Butcher) +27, Spot +27
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (cleaver), Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (cleaver)
Environment: Any Urban
Organization: Solitary or large butcher shop (1d4)
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 23-33HD (Large)
As tall as an ogre, this disgusting creature looks like a grossly obese human corpse clad in a bloodstained butcher’s apron and wielding a huge cleaver. Its grey rotting flesh is crawling with maggots and it is constantly grinding its stubby teeth. On a thick leather belt it carries several large steel hooks.

These undead creatures are reincarnation of homicidal butchers who put the flesh of their own kind on the counter. In death their culinary tastes haven’t changed.

While most metzgermeisters lead solitary existences, some still exert their old profession. These metzgermeisters open macabre “butcher's shops” that draw upon a mixed clientele, including hags, evil outsiders, and undead, that fancy having their meals prepared by real professionals.

Combat:

Gut (Ex): A metzgermeister can use its cleaver against opponents it has pinned, even though the weapon would normally be to large to use in a grapple.
Further, it deals double damage with its cleaver against pinned opponents or opponents hanging on one if its meat hooks (s.b.).

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a metzgermeister must hit a creature of its size or smaller with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity

Meat-hook (Su): A metzgermeister can use the meat-hooks it carries on its belt like immoveable rods. With a successful grapple check against a pinned opponent the metzgermeister impales the creature on a hook and hangs him suspended in the air. This deals 1d6+10 points of piercing damage. A character hanging on a meat-hook is considered pinned. The metzgermeister is no longer grappling the creature.
Each round a creature is hanging on the metal hook, it takes 2d6 points of damage.
As a full round action, the impaled creature can attempt a Strength or Escape Artist check (DC 23) to free itself. Each attempt to free itself from the hook inflicts another 2d6 points of damage.
This is an ability of the metzgermeister, the hooks themselves are not magical.
The check DCs are Dexterity-based.

Last edited:

SinisterSage

First Post
For more information on echeneises (or sharksuckers) see wikipedia

Dragonecheneis
Huge Dragon (aquatic)
Hit Dice: 16d12+64 (168 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 10 ft., Swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (-2Size, +14 natural),touch 8, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+32
Attack: Bite +22 melee (3d8+12/19-20) or bite +17 melee (4d6+22/19-20)*
Full Attack: Bite +22 melee (2d8+12/19-20) or bite +17 melee (4d6+22/19-20)*
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breathweapon, hold ship
Special Qualities:Darkvision 60 ft. immunity to sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, scent, starvation resistance
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +12
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 11, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +11 (+15 in water)*, Listen +21, Spot +21, Survival +21, Swim +37
Feats: Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Power Attack, Snatch, Track
Environment: Temperate and warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary or school (1-4)
Challenge Rating: 12
Alignment: Usually neutral (often neutral evil)
Advancement: 17-24HD (Huge), 25-32 HD (Gargantuan)
* Includes adjustments for a 5-point Power Attack.
Easily 20 feet long, this fearsome creature has an elongate fish-like body with shimmering brown-blue scales. Its has a draconic head with frilled ears, small horns on its chin, and a toothy lower jaw that projects forward well beyond the upper jaw. On its back, just behind its head, there is an 4 feet long oval-shaped sucking disk.

Dragonecheneis are aquatic dragonkin with an uncanny appetite for land-living creatures. They usually use underwater caves near seaports as lairs. When a well-manned ship leaves the port, they follow the vessel out on the open sea. Only when the coastline is well beyond the ship crew's reach, the dragonecheneis strikes.

Combat:
Though dragonecheneises are strong melee combatants, they don’t want their prey to put up a fight. To that end, their preferred hunting method is to hold a ship on open sea, and wait for starvation and thirst to cripple the crew. Once the quarry is too weak to seriously fight, dragonecheneises start snatching people from the ship’s deck.

Breathweapon (Su): As a standard action, a dragonecheneis can breathe a 30 foot cone of weakening gas. Anyone caught in the cone must attempt a Reflex save DC 22. Characters who fail at their save are exhausted for the rest of the encounter. A dragonecheneis can use its breath weapon three times per day. After using it the dragonecheneis has to wait 1d4 rounds before breathing again. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Hold Ship (Su): As a standard action, a dragonecheneis can use the sucking-disk on its back to attach itself to a surface. By attaching itself to the keel of a ship, a dragonecheneis can render it completely immobile.
If the ship is longer than 60 ft., the captain or helmsman may attempt a DC 26 Profession (sailor) check to move the vessel at half speed. The check has to be repeated once every minute to keep moving.
A swimming character can try to break the dragonecheneis’s hold with a DC 26 Strength check.
The check DCs are Strength-based.

Starvation Resistance (Ex): A dragonecheneis can go without food for three week before suffering the effects of starvation.

Skills: While submerged in water a dragonecheneis gains a +4 racial bonus to hide checks.

Last edited:

dhaga

First Post
SinisterSage said:
dhaga gets the credit for the name.

Black Weeper

Woot! :)

I've been looking through some of your additions, but haven't gotten a chance to do more than skim yet. I'll take a closer look soon. Really like the Meat Hook ability for the Metzgermeister. Creepy!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I forsee a position for the metzgermeister in the future of my campaign. And I love the tritonius. Excellent way to do something with the loumara (which I thought were slightly limited in potential just from the Hordes of the Abyss example).

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
SinisterSage said:
And another undead. Didn't find a better name, so I used the german word for butcher. :heh:

i thought that was Fleischaker (like my friend's last name). ;)

SinisterSage

First Post
:D

seppuku mode on said:
OMIGOD the tritonus' intiative mod is wrong!! Why didn't anyone warn me? /seppuku mode off

demiurge1138 said:
And I love the tritonius. Excellent way to do something with the loumara (which I thought were slightly limited in potential just from the Hordes of the Abyss example).

"Limited in potential" also describes my initial reaction. The 4-6 pages treatment the loumara got in FC1:HotA really aren't enough to develop a separate identity for a demon subtype. Also, one of the two loumara, the guecubu, seems to be awfully bland at first.
Now, after some experimenting, I've really come to appreciate them. It's all about what form of evil you want them to embody.

PS My appreciation of the guecubu really peaked when I advanced one to maximum HD and called him Jack the Ripper.

BOZ said:
i thought that was Fleischaker (like my friend's last name).

Metzger = butcher
suffix -meister declares that its a "master craftsman"
So the actual translation for Metzgermeister would be "master butcher"??

Fleischaker
Fleisch - meat, flesh
-aker ? - probably a short form for Hacker - someone who chops
Fleischhacker is no profession, but if the name is to give us any clue about what your friend's ancestors did... The name somehow evokes pictures of violence and slaughter.
If your friend ever approaches you with an axe or similar chopping tool I'd run, if I were you.

Last edited:

SinisterSage

First Post
Here I suffer from a bad case of "having a picture inside my head, but not knowing how to describe it."
The name is really bad. Hope no italian reads it. (Forbici=scissors)

Forbicilith
Huge Outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, tanar’ri)
Hit Dice:23d8+184 (287 hp)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 10 ft.
Armor Class:29 (-2 Size, -2 Dex, +23 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +23/+43
Attack: Scissors +34 melee (3d8+18/18-20;x3 plus shear) or scissors +29 melee (3d8+28/18-20;x3 plus shear)*
Full Attack: Scissors +34 melee (3d8+18/18-20;x3 plus shear) or scissors +29 melee (3d8+28/18-20;x3 plus shear)*
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, shear, spell-like abilities,
Special Qualities: Aura of sloth, damage reduction 10/good and 5/-, immunity to electricity, resistance acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10, SR 30
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +11, Will +15
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 7, Con 27, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +38, Jump +0, Concentration +34, Intimidate +30, Listen +28, Sense Motive +28, Search +26, Spot +28, Survival +28
Feats: Ability Focus (aura of sloth), Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Quicken Spell-like Ability (hold monster),Weapon Focus (Scissors)
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss (The cancerous hills of Glavrax)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 18
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 24-30 HD (Huge), 31-46 (Gargantuan)
* Includes adjustments for a 5-point Power Attack.

This huge, barrel-chested creature has transparent, blue-white, membranous skin, revealing thick muscles and a net of thick, dark-red blood vessels beneath. Its legs and its left arm seem tiny and atrophied compared to the rest of its body, and it uses these three limbs to drag its massive frame across the ground. Its right arm is long and extremely muscular. It ends in two 8-foot bone-blades that look like scissors. One of the blades grows from end of the arm. The other blade is connected to the first at a pivoting point near its base. It also has a lever-like bone behind the pivoting point that is connected to the creature’s underarm through several rope-like tendons. Where the creature’s head should be, its neck ends in short stump with a small lamprey mouth framed by five tiny red eyes.

Forbiciliths, also called scissor-fiends, combine a merciless hunter’s instinct with fiendish sadism and jealousy of other creature’s superior maneuverability.

If its legs could support its weight, it would stand 20 feet tall. It weights 12.000 pounds.

Combat:
Lacking the mobility and the sneaking skills that are necessary for normal hunters, the scissor-fiends scout for prey using their prying eyes ability. Once they find suitable victims, they teleport to its prey, if possible appearing in the midst of a group.
They hate creatures with superior mobility and attack creatures with above average speed before anyone else.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The forbicilith’s scissors threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18–20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Aura of Sloth (Su): All creatures within 40 ft. of the forbicilith must attempt a DC 25 Will save or be slowed as per the slow spell (caster level 18). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shear (Ex): Creatures hit by the scissorfiend’s scissors-arm must attempt a DC 33 Reflex save. Failure means that the creature suffers double damage (, quadruple damage on a critical hit,) from the attack. The save DC is Strength-based.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will – greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds), hold monster (DC 17), prying eyes, see invisibility, spike growth (DC 15)
3/day - unholy blight (DC 16), quickened hold monster (DC 17)
Caster level 18. Save DCs are Charisma-based.

Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day, a forbicilith can attempt to summon another forbicilith with a 30% chance.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
SinisterSage said:
Fleischaker
Fleisch - meat, flesh
-aker ? - probably a short form for Hacker - someone who chops
Fleischhacker is no profession, but if the name is to give us any clue about what your friend's ancestors did... The name somehow evokes pictures of violence and slaughter.
If your friend ever approaches you with an axe or similar chopping tool I'd run, if I were you.

maybe you should have called your creature a Fleischaker instead, then. ;)

IIRC, actually he is a euro-mutt by descent, so his name isn't necessarily german.

PallidPatience

First Post
I've just read through the entire thread, and I think that every monster here is perfect. The one complaint I have is the amount of times you confused the Forcibilith (forbicilith?)'s name in its own post. Might want to go back over that and fix it. ;)

Remove ads