• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Antigrol Tide (IC)

jkason

First Post
Magyar Rhineholdt, human rogue

"Say, Lissa, this is all boring grown up stuff. Have I ever shown you my juggling?" Mag says brightly. He tries to catch Colmarr's eye to indicate he'll distract the girl while the gnome inspects the body. He rather hopes Colmarr has some kind of magic that might identify the burned corpse if it's as unrecognizable as the story would indicate.

For himself, though, he stays in the lobby, grabbing up his remaining sling bullets and juggling for Lissa, slowly adding in more bullets and complicating the pattern as he goes, playing off fumbles with his usual clowning attitude.

[sblock]I would assume juggling falls under Sleight of Hand, though I'm not sure. That's at a +10 for Mag. +6 to Perform (act) if that's helpful, too[/sblock]

unleashed

First Post
Colmarr Blackrock, Male Gnome Bard

Leaving Naomi behind in Magyar’s care with a grateful nod, Colmarr heads in to look at he bodies. Recognising that the first is probably the man who hit his head and fell in the water, he wonders if the second was the swimmer, as he makes his way over to the covered body. Waiting while Grondar asks to see the covered body and it’s clothing, Colmarr then adds, “Did this one come in with any personal possessions? If so we’ll want to see them too, if the body is too hard to identify.”

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Malachi says a quiet prayer, hoping that these souls will be taken by Adonai.

Mallak

First Post
Grondar said:
Yeah, show me the covered one, and what left of his outfit as well.
Colmarr said:
“Did this one come in with any personal possessions? If so we’ll want to see them too, if the body is too hard to identify.”
"Ah, yes, Contestant Number One. Can't say as there's much left of 'em. No possessions ta speak of." The undertaker speaks as he walks over to the covered body. "Those weak of stomach might wanna turn away," he says with a grin, and he throws back the covering.

In the outer room, Magyar begins to juggle the small sling bullets between his hands. Due to their small size and mass, they're more difficult to juggle than good ol' balls. Still, he manages to get a good three-ball cascade, shower, and a four-ball interlocking circles pattern. Naomi laughs and smiles, moving up to Mag with an intent look in her eye. Quick as a cat, she snatches one of the bullets from the pattern. When she tries to snag another, the whole thing disintegrates and sling bullets fly everywhere, forcing Denther and Braer to step quickly to avoid being thwacked. She laughs, scampering around and collecting the errant metal balls. She gives one back to Magyar and holds the other three in her hands. "Can you teach me to juggle?" she asks with a bright look.

Troth lounges at the entrace to the mortuary, watching the city. He smiles at the antics of the little girl.

As Malachi whispers his prayer to Adonai, the undertaker throws back the black covering. A smell that was lingering in the background suddenly hits them full force, like a solid, tangible wall of burnt, decaying meat. [sblock=For Those Not Weak of Stomach]The body below rests in a pool of dark ichor and is barely recognizable as human. The flesh is blackened and twisted, dark red in some places and white in others where the bone shows through. If he were at one time wearing clothes, they were either burnt away or became indistinguishable from his flesh. The body is that of a large-boned male, but more cannot be determined without closer inspection.[/sblock]

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
<Ugh.> Malachi goes to the burnt body, to examine the corpse closer. He looks around for gloves and a smock, at least, and then he starts an inspection proper. "Pardon while I ..." But he can't think of a way to explain this to the undertaker, so he decides to change the subject, "What did you say your name was?"

ooc: Heal +4, taking 20 if possible to ... kind of like an autopsy, but more trying to distinguish what everything is first. I'd ideally like to find intact pieces of flesh, possible tatoos or colorations. I'm also looking for any intact pieces of cloth--if a pocket melted shut, its contents could be useful, if there's any cloth left at all, the backside would reveal the color clothing the person was wearing--or I could cut the cloth to see the color inside. I'd also like to measure the proportions of the body to possibly compare them with what I remember of the captain.

unleashed

First Post

Pinching his nose before the undertaker throws back the covering, as the odor is already rather strong in his sensitive nose, Colmarr moves up to look at the remains. “Well there’s not much to look at, so I think I’ll leave the inspection to you Malachi,” Colmarr remarks, his voice sounding hollow, as he continues to hold his nose and watch, his breathing shallow.

jkason

First Post

Mag plays the good-natured bufoon for Lissa as she takes his cascade apart.

Mallak said:
Quick as a cat, she snatches one of the bullets from the pattern. When she tries to snag another, the whole thing disintegrates and sling bullets fly everywhere, forcing Denther and Braer to step quickly to avoid being thwacked. She laughs, scampering around and collecting the errant metal balls. She gives one back to Magyar and holds the other three in her hands. "Can you teach me to juggle?" she asks with a bright look.

"Well, you certainly have fast hands, which is a start," Mag says, glad he's chanced on something that will likely fill quite a bit of time. "You should know, though, that learning to juggle takes some time. You have to have patience and do some less showy things before you get to the end result.

"To start with, give me back all but one of the bullets,"
the performer says, falling back on the speech he remembers his father giving him when he first started. "Juggling's all about control. If one ball--er, bullet--is off by just a little, you could wind up with nothing more than a big mess. So you start with one."

Here, Mag tucks one elbow in near his side and holds his hand out palm up, parallel with the floor. With a flick of his wrist, he tosses the bullet in his hand straight up. It reaches about the height of his ear, then falls back into the center of his waiting palm.

"That's your first toss," Mag says. "You want to make sure the ball always goes to the same height, and that you never have to move your hand to catch it. Once you can do that with both your right and left hands, we'll try a cross-hand toss and catch."

Mallak

First Post
A dirty butcher's smock hangs on the wall near the entrance to the room. There are some canvas gloves in the pocket. Malachi dons these and begins his inspection of the body.
Malachi said:
"What did you say your name was?"
"Eh, my name's Sam, Sam Hill. Wot'd you say yore name was?" In an aside to the little gnome, he says, "You think yer friend otter be pokin' around the body like that? He's liable to make it mad."

Malachi slowly works his way over the body from head to...foot stump. The flesh still retains some warmth, but whether from the fire of the night or the heat of the day, it's hard to say. Hello, what's this? There is a small puncture wound in the left side of the rib cage, about a quarter inch across. The flesh peels away at the edges to reveal the ribs underneath. They have been chipped, as if struck by a sharp object. There is neither light nor room enough to see into the chest cavity, but Malachi suspects it is not unlikely that the metal head of a small crossbow bolt or arrow might be lodged in there. He revisits the skull and some impressions he noticed earlier. A section just above and behind the left ear is cracked and broken, as if struck by a heavy, blunt object. Continuing with his inspection, Malachi uses his dagger to cut away bits of what might have been a blue wool jacket and brown canvas pants from the skin to which they are fused. The proportions of the body seem to be right for the captain, too. Malachi doesn't think Captain Ben wore any jewelry, but if he did, there's no sign of it on the body.

In the outer room, Naomi listens intently to Magyar before making a few tosses. Her stance is passable for a first time juggler, but her throws are completely wild. After a few energetic attempts, she jumps to throwing the little ball up with her right hand, lunging and catching it with her left, and transfering back to her right, sort of a spastic one ball shower.
"Look, Magyar, I'm juggling! Give me more!"

The smell of burnt flesh is beginning to waft past the doorway where Malachi is performing his examination. Naomi wrinkles her nose and coughs, fumbling the bullet. "Oh, that smells aweful! Did somebody burn something?"

unleashed

First Post

“I don’t know, Sam. Do a lot of bodies around here get mad?” Colmarr asks, curious as to what exaclty the undertaker means.

jkason

First Post

Mallak said:
In the outer room, Naomi listens intently to Magyar before making a few tosses. Her stance is passable for a first time juggler, but her throws are completely wild. After a few energetic attempts, she jumps to throwing the little ball up with her right hand, lunging and catching it with her left, and transfering back to her right, sort of a spastic one ball shower.[/i] "Look, Magyar, I'm juggling! Give me more!"

The smell of burnt flesh is beginning to waft past the doorway where Malachi is performing his examination. Naomi wrinkles her nose and coughs, fumbling the bullet. "Oh, that smells aweful! Did somebody burn something?"

Magyar knees in order to retrieve the bullet--and not-coincidentally cover his own response to the smell. When he hold the bullet up, he's all smiles.

"Guess Colmarr isn't always such a great cook, huh?" Mag says with a wink. "Let's move this outside, then, shall we?"

Assuming Lissa agrees, he starts in on his lessons again.

"Now, remember, Lissa, a juggler never lets what he's juggling move him. Feet planted, hands in the same spot, and when you toss--" Here he demonstrates, a slight flick of the right wrist sending the bullet in a perfect arc to the height of his eyes, then falling in the center of his left palm without his having to move or look--"you control where the ball goes."

For a moment, Mag seems to consider something. He looks back toward the entrance of the morgue, opens his mouth as if to speak, stops. He turns back to Lissa, kneeling so he's at her hieght as he presents the bullet back to her.

"My father said juggling should always use as little movement as possible; it's mind over matter. How about you try now. See if you can't ... think the ball from one hand to the other."

Remove ads