• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost City - your experiences?

frankthedm

First Post
[sblock=All hail the queen! Zenobia, Creature of Darkness!]
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 8d12+8+*40 (96hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+2 cloths, +1 ring +4 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+8
Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d4+6 plus energy drain) or Rod of Binding [Will DC12]
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn, energy drain
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., undead traits DR 5/silver Unholy toughness.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 18, Con —, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 20
Skills: Hide +15, Listen +14, Move Silently +23, Spot +14
Feats: Weapon Focus, improved natural armor, Imp toughness,
Challenge Rating: Elite+ ability scores, advancement, Minor DR, Gear and Unholy toughness CR 8 maybe 7 depending on party.
Treasure: Rod of binding{Command word activation; in draconicDraconic ‘Bow before the greater’ [10 charges], Ring of protection +1. +2 Armored Royal Cloths.[/sblock]

RFisher

Explorer
Copied from mispost in another thread...

I'm DMing this module. The party has just about completed it. (Not counting the expansion opportunities or the areas that the PCs never discovered.)

I've enjoyed it a lot, even though I had sworn off modules.

It has some of the usual Moldvay quirks. e.g. Tom likes to drop the PCs at the entrance to the dungeon without really any choice but to enter. Although this certainly isn't his most contrived example of that.

For me, the toughest part has been roleplaying NPCs that I didn't create. I've sometimes have had a hard time grasping what Tom had in mind. It's also annoying (besides the normal descrepencies between text & map that you'll often find in the classics) that the NPCs are suppossed to know things that just don't exist. e.g. [sblock]Each of the factions is suppossed to have a secret way to get to the Lost City--so secret the author didn't even know about them.[/sblock]

The first highlight that comes to mind was [sblock]the dwarf tossing burning oil into a sarcophagus with a wight inside & then climbing on top to keep it from escaping--surfing on the lid as the wight tried to knock him off. ("Catch a grave & your sittin' on top of the world")[/sblock]

Then there was the incident that caused one of the players to say, "In all my years of playing D&D, I've never had to give the treasure back!"

Here's the campaign log.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads