• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggest my House Rules

Yair

Community Supporter
I'm (slowly) working on forging a rule-set for my next game. Although not D&D, it wil be closely related - but without D&D's races, classes, and magic (I'm basing it on Iron Heroes). Since I'm writing an entire alternate player's handbook, I can use lots of house rules (which I usually don't). So I'm wondering - what to change/add? I'm looking for ideas.

What nice, perhaps brilliant, house rules you've encountered? (Not including changes to races, classes, and magic/spells/magic items.) What house rules are worth putting into my PH?

So far, my list largely includes:
* Changing the 5' step to be at will at any point of the round.
* Changing tumble and concentration to replace AC.
* Making the longbow exotic and disallowing shooting one from horseback (probably personal peeve).

Narsil

First Post
* Making the longbow exotic and disallowing shooting one from horseback (probably personal peeve).

However, the Longbow, historically, is not an exotic weapon. It was used very prolifically as a historic weapon. I would however, add a strength limit that anyone who hasn't got at least 14 strength cannot use a Longbow.

Narsil said:
However, the Longbow, historically, is not an exotic weapon. It was used very prolifically as a historic weapon. I would however, add a strength limit that anyone who hasn't got at least 14 strength cannot use a Longbow.

I agree with not making the longbow exotic. If you want to keep longbows out of the horseman's hands, just erase the composite longbow from the equipement list... normal longbows cannot be used from horseback as the rules are now.

I use bows as listed in the discussion of bows article posted here on Enworld along with the following HRs:

The 'bigger dice' option instead of a flat modifier.

Firing a bow is standard action.
Rapid Shot allows two arrows fired as part of the standard action.

A full-round action can be spent firing one arrow. The threat range of this attack is widened 1 point per iterative attack the character normally has.

This alteration means fewer, but much deadlier attacks. In my last campaign a H-Orc character picked up an powerful bow {STR 20} that could deal 1D20-2 damage...just imagine a Crit on that!

{an aside, powerful bows like that don't just lie around, the usually need to be custom made... The one picked up in my game was part of BBEG 'treasure' horde, meaning it had been used against the party first! :] }

I have a stack of house rules, but most of them add complexity to the game, like my falling object rules, or handle nitch cases, like my 'throw a kobold' rules.
THe third category of HRs are campaign specific...so unless you are running a low level Eberron campain in which the ancient magics are done in the 'Elements of Magic' rules..probably wont help you much :)

Yair

Community Supporter
Narsil said:
Depends on the period/region. I'm going for the "Hey, Count Anjou, what are those rediculously long bows those Englishmen are carrying?" "I don't know Gaston, but let's show them how the French charge!" feel. Longbows are those strange weapons some "highlanders" wield, so exotic it is.

Primitive Screwhead said:
like my 'throw a kobold' rules
Oh, I'd like to hear this one.
And things like it. Anything that enhances combat.

Rules on falling objects and whatnot are also fine if you think I might find them interesting. I'm not really interested in realism, I'm more interested in fun action-packed combat.

Seems the last thread on this got destroyed in the Crash :(

These a bit lengthy so I sblocked them:

Throwing Kobolds:
[sblock]
Rules drawn from Dragon Mag #306 and other sources

Full Round Action (Draws AoO: Yes)
MA Manuever Thow changes this action to a Standard Action.

1. Initiate a Grapple: This step may be skipped if the throwee is willing and has delayed for the action.
Ø Draw an AoO from the Throwee
Ø Touch Attack
Ø Successful Opposed Str check

2. Initiate a Pin: This step may be skipped if the throwee is willing and has delayed for the action.
Ø Grapple check to gain a Pin

3. Heft the Throwee that-a-way.
Ø Chose a direction. Make a Str check.
Ø Base distance is based on weight:
Ø Light load: +0'
Ø Medium load: -5'
Ø Heavy load: -10'
Ø Check result is number of feet traveled.
Ø Throwee may assist the toss with a Jump check, adding 1 foot per 2 points of the jump check.
Ø Throwee reaches a height of 1/4 the distance thrown.
Ø If thrown straight up, the Throwee reaches a height of 1/4 the distance thrown. Roll on a grenade scatter for where he/she lands, taking damage for the distance fallen.
Ø If thrown into an opponent, and both remain standing, the Throwee ends up in the square closets the Target.

4. Damaging or just getting there?
If attempting to damage either the Target:
Ø Make a ranged attack,
Ø Penalties:
Ø -4 for Improvised Weapon
Ø -2 for each range increment (every 10')
Ø Throwee takes damage based on size and draws an AoO.
Ø Requires a REF save DC 15 + damage taken or fall prone
Ø A tumble check DC 20 can turn 1 dice of damage to non-lethal
This also pads the Targets damage.
Ø Target takes the damage based on the Throwee's size
Ø Damage is 1D3 for Tiny, 1D4 for Small, 1D6 for Medium, etc…
Ø Requires a REF save DC 10 + damage taken or fall prone

Just getting there
Ø Throwee must make either a Tumble or REF save DC # of feet thrown - 10 or fall prone.
Ø Note, the advantage to being thrown is that you do not double the Jump DC for no running start.

Feats/Maneuvers to make this easier:
SnF MA: Throw maneuver removes the need for a Pin
Exotic Weapon: Thrown Humanoid removes the non-proficient penalty
(you may take Weapon Focus and other feats above that as well)
[/sblock]

Falling Object Damage:
This is more about realism than it is about speedy play...
[sblock]
How much does ‘X’ cause when dropped on you?

Usable in Traps, Disco’s and other hazardous environments

Rules, shorthand :
. Based on its weight {Table 2}, the object must fall a specific distance in order to deal damage. For each full increment it falls, the object deals 1 dice of damage {Table 1}.
. You can reduce an objects damage type by one step on Table 1, increasing its weight by two steps on Table 2. This can be done multiple times to obtain the correct damage from harder objects that fall shorter distances.
The converse is also true, increasing the objects damage type one step by decreasing its weight two steps
REF Save vs DC 15 modified by size {+2 for every size category the object is larger than you, -2 for the reverse} You also suffer a –4 penalty to your save if squeezing.

Revised Example #2: An ogre throws a 200-pound rock from a ledge 20 feet up at a group of adventurers. Since the rock is Very Hard, it deals 2d10 damage.
The next rock the ogre grabs is only 25 pounds, however; since it is falling too short a distance, we reduce its Resilience two steps to Average to find its damage falling 20', which ends up as 2d6.
The third rock the ogre grabs is 35 pounds; since it is falling too short a distance, we reduce its Resilience one steps to Hard to find its damage falling 20', which ends up as 1D8.

Table 1: Object Resilience
Code:
Type         Damage    sample
Very Soft      D2         feather pillow
Soft             D4         dung 
Average        D6         human body
Hard             D8        wood  {hardness rating <= 4 ?}
Very Hard      D10       steel or stone {hardness rating >= 5 ? }

Table 2: Damage From Falling Objects
Code:
Object Weight	Falling Distance
1600-3199	1ft
800-1599 	2.5 ft
400-799	             5 ft
200-399  	10ft
101-199 lb.	20 ft.
51-100 lb.	30 ft.
26-50 lb.	             40 ft.
11-25 lb.	             50 ft.
6-10 lb.	             60 ft.
1-5 lb.                 70 ft.

[/sblock]

Narsil

First Post
"Hey, Count Anjou, what are those rediculously long bows those Englishmen are carrying?" "I don't know Gaston, but let's show them how the French charge!"

Well, I wouldn't consider a longbow exotic, anyway. Not in a historical context; my country (or one of them: in UK terms I'm a bit of a mongrel, really) had a specific fondness for the longbow. I'd at least give the UK-equivalent region some familiarity with them. (Treat them as martial weapons, y'know.)

Darklone

Same for here for longbows as Martial. You need to practice, you need strength, but special training?

Uhm, well. Does shooting with it for 25 years count? If you make it an Exotic weapon, give a certain region Weapon familiarity with it.

Drawmack

First Post
You're doing away with races, how about incorporating ethnicities. I did this in a game and it worked out very well. Each ethnicity had it's own features (i.e. red hair, dark skin, etc.) and it's own height.

I left all the stats alone, however instead of a free feet at first level for being human they had to choose from one of three racial feats for their nationality. This would allow the proficiency with the long bow that some people are clamoring about, however they don't necessarily get that just for being from the U.K. but it is one of the three things they can choose.

Remove ads