• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to XP Loss for Casting Certain Spells

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
What are some viable alternatives to losing experience points when casting certain spells?

In my current campaign, I'm not using XP.

I had originally thought that these spells would do damage to Constitution when cast, but at least one of my players doesn't have a Con score.

My second thought was to do damage to the caster's highest stat. In every case, that is the caster's relevant stat: Intelligence for the wizards and Charisma for the bard/shaman.
Part Two of that is how much damage to do. I was thinking that 1 point per 100 XP would be fair and a simple calculation.

N.B. My players are level 12 gestalt with their primary stat hovering between 25-34. A wizard losing 5 Intelligence wouldn't be paralyzed, just somewhat less uber-powerful.

My third thought was to post this thread and mine the creativity of these boards.

hanniball

First Post
Ability damage is an excellent balancing factor, but 1 point per 100 xp seems a bit steep. Consider that a 17th level wizard will be taking 50 points of Intelligence damage from casting Wish. That's more than enough to reduce most deities to a coma-like stupor.

Consider referencing the Sanctified spells from Book of Exalted Deeds. I'm AFB, otherwise I could provide more assistance.

Another option is replacing the xp component with an extremely expensive material component. 5 gp per XP point is the standard, IIRC.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I don't use xp either, but I do use action points, and I've substituted those instead. I let PCs convert an action point to the equivalent of 1000 xp, to be used in spells or item creation. I'm very pleased with how it's working.

I can kick over the full rules if you want to see them.

I'm guessing that in your campaign PC's aren't making any magic items as well.

Another option is replacing the xp component with an extremely expensive material component. 5 gp per XP point is the standard, IIRC.

This is the standard calculation, but if your characters are running into "high treasure" situations it can be unbalacing.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gerion of Mercadia said:
I'm guessing that in your campaign PC's aren't making any magic items as well.
Not sure if you're referring to me -- but if you are, they're actually making quite a few. Perhaps because it's an epic campaign, with levels between 20-23? The wizard currently has 17 APs that he's dedicating to item creation. That's quite a lot! But it was a low-combat level, all things considered, and he didn't need as many as usual for combat.

I let PCs donate their action point xp to crafters on a 3:1 basis as well (3APs = 1000 xp for items); a bad enough exchange that it's not used much, but it's available in case of emergencies. That's exactly what I was shooting for.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Piratecat said:
I don't use xp either, but I do use action points, and I've substituted those instead. I let PCs convert an action point to the equivalent of 1000 xp, to be used in spells or item creation. I'm very pleased with how it's working.

I can kick over the full rules if you want to see them.
I would love to see them. I hadn't thought of using Action Points. It seems like a very novel concept.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads