• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pulp Cthulhu - what happened?!

Ron

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
I personally don't think so - Stormbringer was much closer to the BRP system, which I felt removed a lot of important and valuable rules, and introduced some newer ideas that I don't think worked as well. It's magic system wasn't nearly as flavourful and well balanced either.

Cheers

Regarding the rules, is a question of taste. I prefer BRP to RQ, as it is lighter, but opinions may vary. Regarding the magic, Stormbringer 1-4 is very unbalanced but closer to the spirit of the books. Magic is pretty much balanced in Elric and Stormbringer 5 (same rules, different names, the former has better layout).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
In the case of Chaosium I suspect that cash flow problems are at the root of many of their decisions.

It is not uncommon for a small publisher to take out a loan to print a product, using a previous product essentially as collateral. They then use the money from the current job to pay off the loan and use the product as collateral on the next loan. If one product is a slower seller than expected then bad things can happen involving interest payments. Worse can be not dropping an unproductive line in a timely fashion, hoping that the situation will turn itself around. Look up what happened with West End Games for how this can cause a real mess. Added to West End Game's problems was that the shoe company (!) that owned them was eventually instructed by their own creditors to narrow their focus, and sell off holdings not directly involving shoes.... :confused:

Chaosium may not have had the money to take advantage of the window of opportunity afforded by CoC D20.

The Auld Grump

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
TheAuldGrump said:
Chaosium may not have had the money to take advantage of the window of opportunity afforded by CoC D20.
I'd love if this were the case, but when talking to them about a different project I was flat-out told by them over the phone that (a) they thought the OGL was an attempt by WotC to grab their property, (b) D&D players aren't able to understand Call of Cthulhu, so there's not going to be much crossover, and (c) they'll make Pulp Cthulhu because "D&D players like to hit things."

I love the game. But hoo boy, I have less respect for how Chaosium is managed. If they lacked the cash flow, which is certainly a possibility, I submit that maybe there's a reason they lacked the cash flow: they purposely missed the d20 bus.

Graf

Explorer
Professor Phobos said:
Graf said:
It's why you periodically see spasms of them trying to do something else with BRP. (Very little spasms, because it's not a system the community actually takes seriously).
BRP is a fine and dependable system, and has been for decades now. This "D20 Uber Alles" stuff gets on my nerves.
As redrobedwizard has already pointed out I didn't say what your ascribing to me.I'm also not German, despite my username, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't use German wartime propaganda in describing my actions. I didn't insult your pet game system and EnWorld isn't about threaddumping.

It's not taken seriously by the community at large. It's also not very popular.
These are facts.

Since you seem tremendously keen on taking the thread off topic to talk about BRP I'll indulge you.

BRP is better for describing the world of HPL (with lots of world class scientists, and brilliant poets and artists who are lousy at things like fighting). Out of the box D20 doesn't have a good solution for a university professor with Knowledge (Archeology) +15 and a Bab of -1.
This wasn't really addressed in the D20 version of Call of Cthulhu.

So BRP is still better for normal sorts of CoC games.

There, that's what I think about BRP.
Thanks for asking.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let's nip that in the bud, please. "Takes seriously" is a slam that isn't close to accurate. Not a ton of people play CoC on a weekly/campaign basis, but I've never seen any sign that the BRP system isn't solid or that it isn't well-loved by its devotees. Please don't derail the thread based on this choice of words, especially when I'd say it demonstrably isn't true.

Graf said:
These are facts.

I take it seriously. Everyone in the BRP fan "community" regards it well and takes it seriously.

You are being insulting and dismissive based on your "pet systems" popularity in our tiny little niche of a hobby. I am increasingly less willing to put up with this as I age and become more angry, hunch-backed, and spend more time sitting on my front porch in a rocking chair bemoaning kids today.

I would say that FATAL is the kind of game people don't take seriously. By your logic the only game anyone takes seriously is D&D and possibly the White Wolf family, with maybe GURPs or Palladium on alternating Tuesdays. There are hundreds of games not as well known or as popular as D&D but are yet taken seriously- just look at the Forge. They take things very seriously there!

So please, I know this is ENWorld, but try not to dismiss the rest of the hobby out of hand. Especially not a system as old and well established as BRP.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Delta Green is shipping to distributors right now. There are copies in people's hands as I write.

The interview with Adam Scott Glancy in Yog Radio #21 can be found at: Yog Radio #21: Delta Green - Interview with Adam Scott Glancy

Personally I take no games system any more or less seriously than any other. If it allows me to play the game satisfactorally without too much obstruction I cannot ask for more.

For those who like their Lovecraft on the more academic side, we've just released four 1 hour+ audio lectures on H.P. Lovecraft and the Occult by Dr. Justin Woodman.

Mix & match as you please.

Paul

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Graf said:
These are facts.
Graf, they're not facts, they're your opinions. Stating them as "facts" can only serve to derail the thread. Please don't do so.

If you want to discuss this further, please feel free to email me.

JoeGKushner

First Post
They completely dropped the ball on the whole d20 bit.

If they could've somehow managed it, the recent Monstrous Malleus they just came out with would've been perfect for a dual-statted d20 book and Pulp Cthulhu could've riden high on the fanfare of d20 Call of Cthulhu.

But hey, to me, the best Cthulhu products have been third party for a while now. Delta Green anyone?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
They completely dropped the ball on the whole d20 bit.

If they could've somehow managed it, the recent Monstrous Malleus they just came out with would've been perfect for a dual-statted d20 book and Pulp Cthulhu could've riden high on the fanfare of d20 Call of Cthulhu.

But hey, to me, the best Cthulhu products have been third party for a while now. Delta Green anyone?
If that is the case then it is a damned shame - they missed out on corru... err... I mean converting a lot of people. Going partway (allowing the license, but then not capitalizing on it themselves) would have to be the stupidest way to handle it.

I do have to agree - Pagan's adventures for CoC have been excellent. And while Delta Green is indeed excellent it is not their best adventure. (Walker in the Wastes is my favorite scenario of all time.) I hope this gives them the capital to release (and rerelease) more material. :)

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads