• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E FR 4E SPOILER - Grand Histoy of the Realms info

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Wow. Consider me underwhelmed by the Spellplague. I though their might be a little more to it. The ramifications will be neat but the event is pretty bland.
The god stuff is fine. Although it is bizarre in the choice of participants. I guess it follows real world myth though, lots of unusual pairings in pantheons.

Sonny

Adventurer
Tarek said:
It would be nice if Ilmater reverted to her roots as the Finnish goddess of motherhood instead of being the Faerunian god of masochism.
Greenwood just used the name, the FR Ilmater is based on Issek of the Jug, from Lean Times in Lankhmar.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Starglyte said:
I wonder what other gods bit the big one? I hope Selune is still around after this.

More spoilers:

[sblock]Although this has already been revealed in the novels, most of the Drow gods have been axed. All that's left is Lolth, Eilistraee, and Ghaunadaur. Later Ghaunadaur is attacked by Lolth and moves to the Deep Caverns.

And in 1383 a bunch of dwarven deities bite it. Gorm, Heala, Laduguer, and Deep Duerra die in battle with each other. The book says that Hammergrim "disperses" into the Astral. To me, that sounds like it breaks off from the Fiendish Planes and is toast.

Finally, we have the Spellplague. Apparently many planes are "shifted" or destroyed. The book states that only the greater gods can protect their respective planes from the destruction. I think this might mean that some of the lesser [and intermediate] gods might not make it.

The last sentence of the book says that the Weave is destroyed and the "old world" ends and a new one begins. What that means is anybody's guess.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
I got into the Realms rather late, and only because I joined a group which was already using it as their campaign setting. Getting to grips with the history and depth of the place is quite daunting, even for a seasoned RPer like my humble self. I wouldn't mind seeing it cut down to something that's a bit more accessible to new gamers.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Hairfoot said:
I got into the Realms rather late, and only because I joined a group which was already using it as their campaign setting. Getting to grips with the history and depth of the place is quite daunting, even for a seasoned RPer like my humble self. I wouldn't mind seeing it cut down to something that's a bit more accessible to new gamers.

I've been gaming in the FR, on and off, for almost 20 years. And I've been around these boards, as well as the WotC boards, for a while. Two of the biggest complaints that I've seen from people who don't like FR are the amount of deities and the amount of high level NPCS.

Again, this is my opinion and pure speculation, but I think that the folks over at WotC are going to be doing a little "thinning" with the 4th edition FRCS. The Spellplague is going to wipe out a bunch more gods and powerful people.

Last edited:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
BlueBlackRed said:
I haven't read a FR novel in about a decade.
I think I'll keep the trend going after reading this thread.

Wow, I used to love the Realms too.

I kept up on the Realms more back in the 2e days, but I lost track in 3e. It sounds like they're having something along the line of the Avatar trilogy in order to adjust to the new rules on magic. *sigh*

Again we're faced with the question of whether a setting adjusts to fit the rules, or whether rules adjust to fit the setting. I tend to believe that setting and story come first, though there should be some amount of compromise.

A world can take only so many cataclysms. In Dragonlance, they tried adding a second one, and it never really went over well, IMO. Having the Time of Troubles is one thing. Doing it again, not so much. Then you expect a cataclysmic event at the start of each new edition.

My fantasy gaming focus these days is Dragonlance (and soon to be Pathfinder!). The Realms hold a special place in my heart since my first campaign was set there. If I ever do return to the Realms, I anticipate it being to the 2e Realms that I know and love.

I'm going to buy this book, as it sounds like a lot of fun. My support beyond it will probably be minimal.

Brewhammer

Explorer
FR is by far my most favorite D&D world to play in. Bar none, but with Dragonlance close to it. Greyhawk's fine too but FR's always been the one I keep coming back to.

But all good things come to an end, or "jump the shark," or at least provide a jumping off point before things get bad. Nothing lasts forever, no matter how great it is. FR's had a fantastic twenty years behind it, but novels-wise this looks like it could be the end of the line for me and FR.

The epic storylines and epic characters never bothered me. They made for great reading. I never felt that just because the novel characters were doing these things and having these sorts of adventures that it somehow meant my characters or those of my fellow players couldn't enjoy that same level, too.

But if this is all that it appears to be at this point - a giant reset button - then I'll play FR in settings where this 'Spellplague' reset button crap didn't happen, and stay in 3.5 doing it.

I'll always have the pre-'Spellplague' stories. WotC can't ever take that away from me :cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads