Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard 2: Monogamy

Drammattex

First Post
I like Shelly's writing. It's punchy and energetic, descriptive and action packed. Writing at Shelly's level is harder than it may seem; her metaphors are colorful and constant, and they showcase some brilliant creativity. I'm a fan.

That said, I had a little trouble following the monogamy article. Had I been the editor, I might have asked that she tighten it up a bit; the metaphor felt stretched at times. That's not to say I thought it was a bad column. It was a very good column. Just needed salt.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I didn't like the first article.

With this one I didn't immediately wish I had those three minutes of my life back when I was done, so I guess it wasn't bad. Of course I can probably connect with it a bit when I feel my own jealousy of people with multiple groups where I often can't even keep one going.

Scribble

First Post
Hussar said:
Meh. I thought it was funny. Not in a bust your gut sort of way, but, entertaining nonetheless. Then again, Shelly seems to be the new Wil Saves, so, lots of people are likely going to complain.

Oh no!!! I just realized 4e has destroyed Will Weaton's ability to come back with his articles! I eman The "Will Save" pun won't make sense anymnore...

DAMN YOU 4E!!!!

I guess he could do Will Attacks... Hrmm that might be interesting... Maybe he could start writing more angry sounding columns.

helium3

First Post
Believe it or not, many people would rather read the light and chirpy scribblings of Ms. Mazzanoble than the dour semi-lucid pronouncements of a thousand slowly ossifying grognards.

Different people like different things.

Instead of endlessly belaboring how Wizards has stopped caring about and has, in fact, started flogging their inner haflings by daring to publish an article they don't deem worthy of their precious forum haunting time, why don't they get off their collective duff's, write articles they think other people in their demographic cohort would like to read and submit them to the aforementioned metaphorical hafling floggers?

Me? I'm just gonna continue reading this forum and watch my blood pressure slowly rise.

Cheers!

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Drammattex said:
I like Shelly's writing. It's punchy and energetic, descriptive and action packed. Writing at Shelly's level is harder than it may seem; her metaphors are colorful and constant, and they showcase some brilliant creativity. I'm a fan.

That said, I had a little trouble following the monogamy article. Had I been the editor, I might have asked that she tighten it up a bit; the metaphor felt stretched at times. That's not to say I thought it was a bad column. It was a very good column. Just needed salt.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Cheers to you, Shelly!

Tewligan

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
If I want to read quality RPG articles written by someone that happens to be female I'll read these. This one is my favorite.
Ugh. Writers who solemnly say things like "We create worlds" or "I practice a dying art" when talking about a game are a little too full of themselves. I'll take Shelly's style over this brand of creepy nerdery any day of the week.

Hussar

Legend
dmmccoy - wow, that's what you consider better writing? Creepy angst ridden stuff like that? That's the face we should be putting on in the magazine? :uhoh: No thanks. Creepy indeed.

FireLance

Legend
Hussar said:
dmmccoy - wow, that's what you consider better writing? Creepy angst ridden stuff like that? That's the face we should be putting on in the magazine? :uhoh: No thanks. Creepy indeed.
I didn't think it was that bad. It was less funny than Shelly's, but also more intellectual. Comparing the two pieces of writing is like comparing pudding to potatoes.

Remove ads