• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlocks need wands now?

hargert

First Post
I loved the theme and feel of the 3rd edition Warlock, but when looking at the character sheet that is posted I noticed that they need to have a wand to use their abilitites now? I always loved that the power came from within and that you did not need any items to use them. Also did they get rid of evocations? I know it is just a quick start character sheet but I hope they still have the abilitiy to combine blasts and other powers. If not they feel much less like warlocks and rather more like wizards with slightly better armor and HP.

Dont get me wrong I am still looking forward to 4th edition just curious is all.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
hargert said:
I loved the theme and feel of the 3rd edition Warlock, but when looking at the character sheet that is posted I noticed that they need to have a wand to use their abilitites now? I always loved that the power came from within and that you did not need any items to use them. Also did they get rid of evocations? I know it is just a quick start character sheet but I hope they still have the abilitiy to combine blasts and other powers. If not they feel much less like warlocks and rather more like wizards with slightly better armor and HP.

Dont get me wrong I am still looking forward to 4th edition just curious is all.
There are two things. First, that Half-Elf Warlock has a Wizard power (Ray of Frost). I think the wand gives a bonus to that. Second, it may be that Warlock powers can also benefit from wands as well.

Zinovia

Explorer
The warlock character sheet says that "Your powers require you to have your wand (also called an implement) in hand." All of the listed powers have "Implement" as a listed requirement. So disarm this particular warlock, and she's helpless as far as casting spells. It struck me as odd when I first saw the sheet.

I guess to disarm a warlock you take away her wand, but she's probably got a spare stashed down the front of her bustier of support.

hargert

First Post
I am fine with bonuses for items, the old warlocks scepter did the same. However if you look at the character sheet for the eldrich blast is lists implement. From the text you must have this in hand to use. So steal his wand and the feared warlock becomes powerless.

Rechan

Adventurer
I seem to recall that the Wizards article (or was it responses from the designers to questions from the wizards article) said that Wizards can cast any spell they can, but they cast it better with an implement in hand.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a warlock can do their warlocky goodness, but still benefit from having the implement.

Michele Carter

First Post
Rechan said:
I seem to recall that the Wizards article (or was it responses from the designers to questions from the wizards article) said that Wizards can cast any spell they can, but they cast it better with an implement in hand.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a warlock can do their warlocky goodness, but still benefit from having the implement.

This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Also, warlocks have other implement possibilities. They aren't limited to wands. Did somebody say scepter . . . ?

Sitara

Explorer
I hope they still have Baleful Utteance as an at will power. Loved that! :)
And I hope its (aka Shatter) more useful generaly, say like working on steel items (so weapons can be shattered...while they are being gripped)

Jonathan Moyer said:
There are two things. First, that Half-Elf Warlock has a Wizard power (Ray of Frost). I think the wand gives a bonus to that. Second, it may be that Warlock powers can also benefit from wands as well.
All the Warlock powers require a wand to use, which I don't like.
On an aside, since there is no feat listed I assume that the half elves being good at multi-classing comes from being able to select one power from another class, maybe of the same power source?

EDIT: Aahhh thanks that is real good news, ftr no weps, wiz no wand equals less effective but not 'power' -less :)
WotC_Miko said:
This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.

Last edited:

hargert

First Post
WotC_Miko said:

Great to hear that thanks for making my day, I am now once again jazzed as all hell to get my hands on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads