• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Unstoppable Black Dragon

Spatula

Explorer
takasi said:
Thanks for the response Mike, but I get the feeling that this was a "Disposable Dragon" (which I am frequently Bothered About). What was the water in the room for? Could the dragon retreat? Could he fly around the room? Why was he in the room in the first place?
It's a combat demonstration, not a published adventure. The whole thing is a disposable showcase.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I would not fight him in a box.

Would you fight him with a fox?
Would you fight them in a house, or with a mouse?
Would you fight them here or there, or anywhere?

jelmore

First Post
Sitara said:
But seriously I think its possible; just remember all the xp crew let the party rest for 6 hours outside the dragon's lair (how convinient!) and then they faced it. Also, remember pc's get a lot of action points which RECHARGE. so they can get of another standard action.

...except when you take an extended rest, your action points reset to 1, per the "What You Need To Know" sheet.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
takasi said:
I think you can create an encounter that showcases combat and also has interesting flavor and mechanics. I also think you can create an encounter that showcases combat but is overall unrealistic and imbalanced.

I also question the goal of pitting the dragon's combat stats vs. the combat stats of the PCs if the dragon's unable to react as a normal dragon should. It breaks my sense of verisimilitude.

At the point where you used the overused, elitist, and usually improper V word, you lost the thread.

You really need to get over it not playing out the way you would have done it. It's just a friggen demo. They could have done it differently. They could have done it a million different ways, and of course it was nowhere near the perfect combat. They decided to do it the way they did it, and it seems to have worked fine. It's not a big deal. Hordes of people didn't come away from it all upset. It's not a published anything. It's not an official anything. You had no sense of anything, because you were not even in the friggen demo yourself. Quit being THAT guy. If you need flavor with your demo that you heard about that one time on the net, just pretend it was the chained, semi-blind dragon from the Harry Potter series. But really, who cares when talking about a simple quick demo at a single con?

hong

WotC's bitch
takasi said:
I think you can create an encounter that showcases combat and also has interesting flavor and mechanics. I also think you can create an encounter that showcases combat but is overall unrealistic and imbalanced.

I also question the goal of pitting the dragon's combat stats vs. the combat stats of the PCs if the dragon's unable to react as a normal dragon should. It breaks my sense of verisimilitude.

Is there any specific reason why they couldn't have made the delve a little more balanced and flavorful at the end? Why not use a lower level dragon but let it fly? Or have tactics that allow the PCs to defeat the dragon without killing it (offering an escape route)?

I think in this case if some people were disappointed in the delve's finale, the adventure design is to blame and not the actual rules.
VB.gif

hong

WotC's bitch
Sitara said:
But the draognonly gets one standard action. OTOH EVERY pc gets a standard action (so 1 SA vs 6 SA's)

Solo monsters (and specifically, dragons) are designed so they get lots of immediate actions to deal with how they're outnumbered.

D'karr

Adventurer
The dragon lair looked something like this. The ceiling was not high enough for the dragon to fly and the water was not deep enough for it to swim in.

attachment.php

The encounter is very tough but by the time we got to it our party was familiar enough with all our abilities that we worked well together. We also had some lucky rolls. There were several criticals on that combat. The cleric kept using a power that gave the dwarf bonuses to AC, which helped a ton. The ranger was doing the majority of the damage. However, when the dragon recharged his breath weapon on one round and got bloodied on the next one, we were really lucky that we were not in a perfect cone formation. The dwarf got hit really hard on that one, but our cleric used one of his powers to heal him and then two rounds later the party was able to cause fear on the dragon, at which time we high tailed it out of there with the treasure we found.

So yes, the encounter requires the party to work together. Anything else would have been a TPK.

Attachments

• dragonlair.png
    dragonlair.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

LordArchaon

Explorer
My take: with just 2nd or 3rd level characters the fight would have been of different odds, and we're speaking of 4th level solo monster.

So, absolutely no problem with anything related to this dragon fight.
Anything BUT the flight.
A fight with a flying dragon could have been possible (always if we're talking of a little less difference between monster and party level) with just some cover for the PCs on the battleground and a bow armed fighter, maybe with some incendiary arrows to put some black flames from the braziers on.

Come on, we're talking about 3 levels lower party, the problem's all there.
I guess a 6th level party would eat the damn dragon for breakfast.

EDIT: In addition, I think the problem was with the dragon being a Lurker. To effectively fight a lurking beast like that, you need AT LEAST one character with high perception and initiative, which I guess was absent.

Last edited:

Remove ads