• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any New Info on Skill Encounters?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm a fan.

I was a fan when I saw the idea seed in Unearthed Arcana, but I'm a fan. It's a really nice complex skill resolution mechanic.

I like the fact that the DM is empowered to say "Yes." How the DM can set up the skills that should be used, and that a player can use other skills if the idea is clever, but perhaps at a penalty (the cleric using Religion instead of Diplomacy is nice). Presumably, there'd be some skills that wouldn't necessarily work, but I like it when the game system let sme say "Yes!" as often as possible.

In fact, that's my main problem with 4e's monster rules....but that's several other threads. :D

In a fixed reality its not always possible to always use your strength and you might have to improvise. But in a fluid one, like the one 4E apparantly proposes, you can always use your best skills (not that there would be much difference in skills with everyone being good in all things automatically) because the realities is determined by what skills you use.

I don't see how this system *isn't* improvisation. The in-game example of the cleric using Religion is a case of imporovisation on the part of the cleric, and the DM let it work (it was a believable tactic), but at a penalty. I like how it's basically "If you can give me a good reason for why your skill should work, I will let it happen, and if it's only a marginally good reason, I'll give you a penalty, but still let you try. And you could always try the skills that were MEANT to work, because you shouldn't be too shabby at them, either!"

I fully embrace a philosophy that allows the DM to permit madcap schemes to work if the player rolls high enough. It encourages player creativity. And if they fail, it encourages DM creativity in menacing them. :)

This makes me optimistic.

Keep in mind that it's not neccessarily the dice roll result of the PC that determines whether something is "true" in the world that was undecided before. It can also be the skill selection made by the player. Or the description of the scene he wants to attempt. Or the DC he sets. Or all three. Sometimes the DM decides it.

You can even use this system in a very structured manner, the DM deciding the possible sequences for the use, possibly setting the DCs and the out-come.
A very short example: "To convince the king to lend the Elven Settlement a platoon of his soldiers, the players need to convince someone (options: Princess, Guard Captain, "Abusing" an ancient tradition/law/event) to help them get an audience. They must then explain the situation (Diplomacy?) to him. The Prince will oppose since he is secretly working with the harrassers of the Elves (Insight). The Court Mage dislikes the idea of wasting troops and points out an historical example where this lead to harm for the kingdom (History). The King fears that the cost of the expedition would be too high (Bluff, Diplomacy).

Or you can do it more free-form and let the players make things up on the spot, and just go with it.

I think outside of a social encounter, a very free-form approach might get better role-playing results, since few people would just say "I roll Athletics, then Stealth, then Bluff. 3 Successes. Encounter finished." but would try to describe what they're trying to do.

jaer

First Post
Archmage said:
People are hanging on this one thing like this is what has to happen. Any changes made to the environment are still the DM's decision. Sure, you didn't originally map an alley there, but maybe there is one? Or a crack in a wall the PC can duck into. Or they spot something they can use to climb up to a 2nd floor window. Or whatever makes sense in the context of the encounter. People are clinging to this "PC creates a secret door argument" far too tightly - that's just a decision one DM made in one specific scenario.

Our biggest disagreement is simply DMing style (which is nothing to argue over, so please don't think I am starting an arguement over it!). The point of my post was that, while Derren and I seem to have similar DMing styles, I very much disagree with him that 4e deters from that style.

This particular arguement (the secret door) is not one that I think even happened in the Sembia scene...it is just one that has been quoted a few times as an example. My point was simply this: if the alley way a character ducks into is a dead end, then that is what it is. They might be able to climb out, but unless I have it noted that there is a crack, a small passage, or a sewer drain there, then the alley is a dead end with no means of escape. I know before the adventure starts if a streetwise or spot check finds some way out of the area.

If this is one of the ways in which 4e is supposedly making the DM's job easier, it might not be working that way for me (but there is so much I like about 4e, that alone wouldn't stop me from trying it).

You design where each apple cart in your towns is? Really? The apple cart example seems like a perfect usage for this system, because it's a random element that's easily added.

Generally, no.

If I know I am planning an Escape from Sembia scene, then yes, yes I do. Infact, I know every stopped apple cart and every horse-pulled apple cart, the route it is taking, and how fast it is moving so I know where it is every round.

I would even have a good idea of which merchants in the market square were selling what type of things, so that if the fighter knocked over the third stall on the left, I know if it is jewelery spewed all over the ground acting as caltrops or cooked meat all over the place, possibly enticing some of the 1d6+1 stray dogs in the area to come over and eat in 1d4 rounds.

But it's OK if the DM rolls a die to make him corrupt? That makes absolutely no sense. If you're allowing a random chance for random guard #347 to be corrupt, why does it make a difference if the die roll is the DM assigning an arbitrary percentage or a PC making a skill check against a DC set by the DM? Again, this seems like a great usage of the system.

I know if the captain of the guards is loyal and honest.

Depending on the situation, I either have each guard made up and know which is which and what they are doing and their motives (that is unlikely). Or I have general knowledge of the make-up of the policing force (20% corrupt, most wear scale armor and use maces).

Agreed that this might be one place in which this system might work out over my own style. However, something just feels wrong about a successful Diplomicy check determining if the guard is corrupt over a random check to determine if it was one of the corrupt guards that got to the PCs (and thus lowering the DC of the diplomacy check because of it).

And if they stand around in the town square they get caught.

One review of the scene I read showed the characters doing acrobatics and performances to gather the crowd and the cleric giving a sermon about their god on the street and the like. While gathering a crowd and over-turning carts can slow down the guards, neither actually move someone out of the city. Players can wrack up a load of successes which can all prevent them from being caught without even trying to get away. This is why I say X successed does not get you out; only getting out gets you out. Successful skill checks just give you information or show that you completed an action that helps prevent your capture.

Obviously they have to be actively trying to get away - this skill system is just a way to help adjudicate if they succeed or not. I am currently running a Ptolus campaign - there is no way I could reasonably expect the player of the rogue to know the streets a fraction as well as her character would. In a chase with guards then, why would it be fair to ask her to choose which way her character runs? If she succeeds on checks, she eventually winds up near a handy sewer grate or even escapes cleanly. If she fails, the guards are on her heels and possibly catch her.

Were the escape in a city the PCs had only just arrived in, I would present them with a mostly covered map, detailing the area they are in and slowly revealing it as they went to new places.

In a city the PCs know well, they would get a map showing everything they know about the city off the top of their heads. They could ask questions about the map (might prompt skill checks to see if they know the answers), but the map would be the defined bounds of the encounter.

And your players can't be reasonably expected to know your world as well as you do, regardless if their character would or not. We are not discussing a skill called "create secret door" here. The DM decides what skill the character is checking against, and the DM decides what the result of the check means. I don't see players creating anything.

True, they don't know the world like I do. The point is, when the encounter starts, 95% of the world is already created for that encounter, with that 5% being the few things I did not think of and need to ad lib, and I am more than happy to do it.

So it turns up something else. Again, what the check means is the DM's decision.

I quite agree with you. All of this is DM's decision. The major difference here is, 4e invites the DM to not plan all that a head of time and let the PC's checks determin this during the game. In 20 years, I have never played so freeform. I, as you can gather, plan everything out every tactically.

That's what the DM decided in that particular instance - you would have likely decided something different.

Was more a point of what the 4e guidelines might suggest. The design philosophy looks like it encourages DMs to think along the lines of success does not mean you were successful in achieving the skill, but that you were successful in getting the outcome you wanted. The difference here being Heraldry revealing the the player what I the DM pretermined (corruption or no corruption as the case may be) vs. Heraldry revealing to the player what they were hoping to find (corruption). It isn't always this way, of course, but it is seems like that is, in general, the basic philosophy of the way skills work.

I think breaking it down into multiple rolls encourages more roleplaying of the encounter. They get the negotiations to a certain point and make a check, which if they succeed at guides the tone of the next set of negotiations, etc. "The councilman seems to be considering your points with a newfound respect" or "As you speak the disdain is clear on the councilman's face."

Agreed. This change in thought on how to handle such a situation in 4e is much better, in my mind, than a single modified diplomacy check.

Any particular reason to boil it down to one check? There are some goals that it makes sense for, but it seems to me something like a negotiation lends itself to "X successes before Y failures" multiple check solution.

I think you mistook. Players are given time to make their arguement and can make as many checks as they can in that time. Successes count for them (+1), failures against them (-1). If they get to five (5 successes in a row, no failures; 6 and 1, whatever), they can't argue anything more favoribly than that, so they made their point and even if they have more time, need not continue. Conversely, at -5 they will have completely flubbed their point so badly, no matter what they say, the council won't listen.

The antagonist of this scene then gets his chance to argue against the PCs and makes his checks, trying to score higher on the -5 to 5 scale then the PCs in order to win the arguement.

This would be like one party getting a chance to speak and then the second party doing so.

In other situations, I could see the PCs argueing against the antagonist point for counter point, at which time the PCs would make their rolls while the opponent made his, back and forth, trying to swing success in their favor as they went along. Each has their place.

I can definitely see opposed checks as part of the sequence that the PCs have to succeed at.

Quite so.

While I still fail to see where these rules oppose said philosophy, I agree with your conclusion here.

The guildelines of the skills as supposed from what we know seems to encourage a "figure it out while you play: here's how to be spontaneous in your D&D game and cut down on prep time!" way of playing. It has a sense of "don't worry about that guy's background, let the PC's rolls figure it out for you and play off those."

I don't do that.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Or you can do it more free-form and let the players make things up on the spot, and just go with it.

Here's my current approach:

"Okay, so you want to convince the king to send troops to the elves? How do you get an audience with him?"
(they propose ideas)
"Okay, roll an (appropriate skill to the idea) check."
(they do, perhaps they succeed)
"All right, you have an audience with the king. How do you convince him to send troops to help the elves?"
(they propose ideas, perhaps some RP is thrown in)
"Okay, roll an (appropriate skill tot he idea) check."

I don't think 4e will fundamentally change this approach, it'll just add some nuance that 3e was lacking (number of successes, failures adding penalties, making it less 'binary.').

Nytmare

David Jose
For years now, I've been pushing the book "Truth in Comedy" as one of those books that every DM should read. I think I've managed to convince maybe one person to read it in that time. Fans of this system will find a TON of useful ideas in that book.

As for secret doors and princesses, it feels as though those ideas are being singled out because they're at least on that edge of abusive, if not standing firmly on the other side. If more mundane versions of those escape routes were being suggested and used, I think that it would be less mind jarring for people (aside from Derren).

A streetwise character who knows that there's an easy, oft practiced escape route over the wall at the end of a dead end alley is a much friendlier concept than a player who snaps his fingers and insists that there's a pointless secret door that materializes in the middle of a random city wall.

A player who decides that that they're going to climb a wall, and that the wall they're going to climb leads to the magical land of horny princesses with +5 holy avengers who have a thing for hot Dragonborn women with big boobs is being a jerk.

kclark

First Post
D'karr said:
The best part of that scene was that each player played off the scene using the interaction of the other players.

The DM also explained that this type of challenge can be tailored to accomplish scenes that you don't want to necessarily devolve into combat, though they can.

For example a country is about to be invaded by a marauding army of goblins and they are unsure of what course of action to take. You could use diplomacy to attempt to convince the ruling council that allowing the goblins any leeway would be disastrous. You could use bluff to speak about other incursions the goblins have been in (a lie). You could use perception to sense which of the councilors will vote against your recommendation. You could even have an opposing councilor countering your points. You could then use Heraldry to know that this councilor has a long history of allying with the goblinoids for profit. Use History to remind the council of what happened to the neighboring country when they allowed the goblins to advance. This could go on for as long as the DM wants to extend the scene.

In the end you might have convinced the council to follow your lead but made a powerful enemy in the process.

I really liked the framework of this mechanic. And more importantly I like that it tends to promote involvement by all the players.

Yes! The poor thugish fighter character without any of those high faluting skills could go and 'convince' one of the opposing councilors to not to raise his particular objection with an Intimidate roll. The back streets rogue could quickly disguise himself and vote while the real councilor gets 'accidently' locked in the bathroom.

Awesomeness and so completely wide open, but allows for all sort of great backlash and consequences for the actions that the party members decide to take, while still allowing them to accomplish the goal of convincing the council.

Seule

Explorer
A successful streetwise check doesn't have to mean you know of a secret door or that the alley suddenly isn't a dead end, it may mean that you didn't actually take that street at all, because you knew better. Or, that you know that area well enough that you can take advantage of a hidden handhold to get a bonus to climb out. On the other hand, it's quite possible that a streetwise check won't help at all, and you need athletics or stealth in this case to get successes.
The mechanic encourages players to have input into the world, to the extent that the DM lets them. A DM who has already decided the pertinent details won't let players change them.
Finally, I can easily see a situation where you are escaping from guards, and get enough successes to escape before leaving the main square. That just means that you've helped yourselves and hampered the pursuers enough that your escape is a forgone conclusion at that point, even if all you still have to do is run.

--Penn

Kestrel

Explorer
Nytmare said:
the magical land of horny princesses with +5 holy avengers who have a thing for hot Dragonborn women with big boobs is being a jerk.

Where were you when they had the campaign setting search? Dammit, who needs Eberron when you could have the Magical Land of Horny Princesses with +5 Holy Avengers who have a thing for Dragonborn women with Big Boobs?

Ok...maybe that title is a bit long.

jaer

First Post
Nytmare said:
A streetwise character who knows that there's an easy, oft practiced escape route over the wall at the end of a dead end alley is a much friendlier concept than a player who snaps his fingers and insists that there's a pointless secret door that materializes in the middle of a random city wall.

I agree: a streetwise character who makes a successful check would know that info. Where my taste and 4e seem to diverge (in spirit! I'm not saying I can't do this in 4e if I continue to DM via my own style) is with this one point:

- In 4e, it seems as though the guidelines for using skills allow for a player who has run down a dead end alley to use the streetwise skill. Success means he found a way out; failure means he did not.

- By my style, I know before the character even runs down that alley if there is another way out or not. A streetwise check would have revealed that info to him had he made the check before he ran down the alley, and it will reveal the same info if he is in the alley. A failure means he does not know. A success means he does know if there is or isn't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads