Permanent Protection from arrows.

Macbrea

First Post
Hey, does anyone know whether a 15th level spell caster casting permanent protection from arrows is suppose to get.

A) 10/+4 protection from arrows permanently.

B) 10/+4 protection from arrows until 100 damage from arrows is taken.

C) 10/+4 protection from arrows until 100 damage from arrows is taken. Resets every 10 minutes. Using the rules from Symbol to apply to a permanency spell cast on a reseting protection from arrows.

D) 10/+4 protection from arrows until 100 damage from arrows is taken. Resets every morning.

E) some other explanation.

Last edited:

Boss

First Post
In a campaign I was in, the GM ruled that I received the 10/+4 bonus permanently. Didn't make much sense that it ran out, just to be reinstated. Add that to a stoneskin (the GM ruled both would stack) and I was taking ballista bolts to the chest with minimal damage, if any.

hong

WotC's bitch
Note that the normal duration of prot. arrows is "... or until discharged", with discharging occuring when 100 points of damage have been taken. Permanency changes the duration of a spell to "permanent", so discharging is no longer an issue.

Macbrea

First Post
The reason I stated that as a choice was because Symbol is written as: For example, a permanent symbol of death could slay 150 hit points worth of creatures every 10 minutes.

Meaning that a spell could be limited by making it permanent.

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
hong said:
Note that the normal duration of prot. arrows is "... or until discharged", with discharging occuring when 100 points of damage have been taken. Permanency changes the duration of a spell to "permanent", so discharging is no longer an issue.

yes it is. The duration would become "permanent or until discharged". Permanency does nothing to the discharge part.

So:

a) you can't permanency Stoneskin or Prot from arrows.

b) DR does not stack, as some poster said.

Macbrea

First Post
It is possible to permanent Protection from arrows and Symbol as they say you can in the description of the spell permanency. Symbol just happens to have additional rules when relating to discharged items.

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:

yes it is. The duration would become "permanent or until discharged". Permanency does nothing to the discharge part.

Chapter and verse, please. The only bit in the spell description I can find that's relevant is "this spell makes certain other spells permanent".

a) you can't permanency Stoneskin or Prot from arrows.

Protection from arrows: min. level 11th, XP cost 1,500.

Remove ads