• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much does coal cost?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Anthacite coal is the best kind - clean-burning, good producer.

Bitumenous coal is impure - sulfur, I believe? It burns rather foully, but still burns. Either A or B could be used in a steam engine.

I haven't researched it, but I believe I've heard that with exception of a few specimens, in the real world, there are no more known reserves of Anthracite coal.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Henry said:
Anthacite coal is the best kind - clean-burning, good producer.

Bitumenous coal is impure - sulfur, I believe? It burns rather foully, but still burns. Either A or B could be used in a steam engine.

I haven't researched it, but I believe I've heard that with exception of a few specimens, in the real world, there are no more known reserves of Anthracite coal.
No, there are still a few - Alaska has some untapped reserves. An article on anthracite.

As for clean burning, there is an old advertising jingle for the Lackawana R.R. - 'Phoebe Snow all dressed in white, rides the road of anthracite!' using anthracite was not common, but vastly preferrable. Some cities passed laws that only anthracite could be burned while within city limits. Bitumous has been burned for a lot longer than anthracite, it was not used as a fuel until the 19th century. Bitumous coal actually predates the Romans.

For what it is worth diamonds are an even higher energy source than anthracite, and burns with little or no ash or soot. But it might be a bit pricey. :p

There were a number of discussions about coal burning, prices, mining, and pollution on the Privateer Press forums. *dig, dig, dig!*

Prices
Mining
Pollution

And I think that I blathered about it a bit on the ENPublishing forum while talking about Steam & Steel.

The Auld Grump, who recently finished rereading De Re Metallica, a book of mining techniques from the 16th Century... Very dry, but worth reading. (And this time I made it all the way through! :))

*EDIT* Yes sulphur is one of the contaminants, bitumous coal is extremely variable as to impurities, and can produce lumps of unburnable clinker in the firebox of the engine, and coat the stacks with something very much like tar.

Last edited:

Kesho

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
For what it is worth diamonds are an even higher energy source than anthracite, and burns with little or no ash or soot. But it might be a bit pricey. :p

What would the ignition temperature be for the diamond form of carbon? I hadn't heard this before, but I would think that, if true, it would be rather hot...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Kmmm, I can't find a mention online of the kindling point online, but the combustion temperature is 1000 K (1340 degrees Fahrenheit). Pretty hot!

The Auld Grump

AZNtrogdor

First Post
When I first read this topic I thought u wanted to buy somebody who was naughty a christmas present and was looking for the best priced lump of coal. LOL

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, not a WotC official price, but the trade rules in Mongoose Publishing's Classic Play Book of the Sea gives coal a price of 250 gp per ton. Seem reasonable?

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* The same price is given in Seas of Blood, also by Mongoose.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
TheAuldGrump said:
Charcoal is pricier than bitumous coal, cheaper than anthracite, much cheaper than coke. Coal should be cheap!

Well, that depends on how you want to work your economics. The relative prices of fuel forms has not been constant over history or geography. In some places and times coal simply wasn't available in any quantity at all, and so could not be had at any price.

Heck, if the planet doesn't have a hundreds of millions of year history that includes large, lush, swampy areas in the distant past, there may be no coal at all, anywhere! Dig all you want on Mars, and you're unlikely to find any fossil fuel deposits. Not that there's free oxygen with which to burn it, but you see the point...

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Monte Cook's tech .pdf prices regular coal as 5 gp/day and flamestone (one chunk/day) at 10 gp/day. Not useful, because it makes no distinction between what's using it, but might make a good starting point.

I don't recall the prices in Sorcery and Steam of Steam and Steel, unfortunately.

Remove ads