• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign - Prologue

jdeleski

First Post
A Benefactor

During the intermission, while you are eating dinner and casually chatting, an elderly gentleman with white hair and an angular face walks up to your table, extends his hand, and says "Hello, I looked over at your table and noticed that the four of you seem to be fit and tanned and I've deduced that you are all explorers and will be soon traveling to the far south. My name is John Rockefeller and it's a pleasure to meet you!

If you don't mind, I'd like to discuss with you your plans for the expedition. I'm considering whether to provide support to Mr. Starkweather and I'm not one to invest money without first investigating each opportunity. You have my word that I'll keep any comments of yours in the strictest of confidence.

After introductions are made, he asks with a wry smile "So gentlemen, if you don't mind my asking, how well do you feel this expedition is being organized? And, if you had your way, what suggestions would you make to our fearless leader?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• johndrock.jpg
    johndrock.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 144

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Martin looks up at Mr. Rockefeller and then stands and extends his hand.
"Mr. Rockefeller, it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I have followed your business leadership for some time and I find you a gentleman of the finest quality."

Last edited:

taitzu52

First Post
"Mr. Rockefeller," says Jim, nearly shooting up to his feet, "Poole. James Poole. I'm a geological surveyor, surely I'm not the first prospector you've met in your day. Heheh." he goes on, chuckling at his own joke. "I myself am curious as to what mineral deposits exist in the untapped wastes of the South Polar region. Surely you and Mr. Starkwether would have much to discuss." He purposefully withholds his opinions on the trip's organization, still being fairly ignorant of the logistical facts. He subtly leans to the side, to follow Professor Moore's movements, eager to talk to him once more.

jdeleski

First Post
Another Team Member

As you're relaxing and chatting, enjoying the intermission, you see a man of medium size and build and dark hair coming towards your table. Although he carries himself with the grace and confidence of youth, his face is deeply lined. He smiles and reaches out to shake hands, grasping yours in a strong and callused grip, saying "Hello, I'm Peter Sykes. I'm pleased to meet you."

After introductions are completed and you've eased past the small talk, you learn that Peter is one of the polar guides on the expedition, a seasoned veteran brought in by James Starkweather and Dr. Moore to assist in organizing and coordinating the expedition.

Peter's eyes light up when he learns that you will all be teammates of his, eagerly asking questions regarding your backgrounds and expertise.

He shares a story of how he first met Dr. Moore 10 years earlier during the summer, teaming up with him on a trip to the Arctic. "He's a cautious man, Dr. Moore, and sometimes a real pain in the keister! But if anyone will make sure that we're fully supplied on this trip, it will be him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Bibliography Reference 6.

Attachments

• Peter Sykes.jpg
    Peter Sykes.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

jdeleski

First Post
James and Camille Finish Their First Dance

Concluding the first interaction between James Starkweather and Camille Bardier...
jdeleski said:
James Starkweather, looking puzzled, watched the woman turn to depart, then called out to her. "Miss? One moment please."
Taokan said:
Turning around, Camille bobbed a half-wobbly curtsy in Starkweather's general direction. "I'm terribly sorry, but I don't have the time to talk right now. I must hurry and finish some things up before the speeches are over, and as I said, I can meet you later, after the fundraiser. Good Evening." Finally escaping from the the honored M. Starkweather, the supposed Mrs. Lockhart started the search for the other members of the expedition.
James Starkweather stared after the strange woman for a few moments, shrugged, and then turned back to his companions. "Now where was I? Oh yes! The tribal chieftain! Well, once I gave him the photograph..."

OOC - Taokan, where will Camille be searching in the room? Will she stay for James Starkweather's address? If so, as you wander around, you'll notice that there are a number of tables in the middle of the room that have open seats with untouched dinners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

jdeleski

First Post
John D

Morpheus said:
Martin looks up at Mr. Rockefeller and then stands and extends his hand.
"Mr. Rockefeller, it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I have followed your business leadership for some time and I find you a gentleman of the finest quality."
John Rockefeller locks grips and eyes with Martin for a full five seconds, then smiles and says "Obviously my biographers are doing a good job, Mr. LeBlanc! Not everyone shares that opinion, I'm afraid. In the oil business, lives and livelihoods are at stake every day and decisions are not always well received. I expect you'll find that the same is true in your upcoming expedition."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

jdeleski

First Post
John D (cont'd)

taitzu52 said:
"Mr. Rockefeller," says Jim, nearly shooting up to his feet, "Poole. James Poole. I'm a geological surveyor, surely I'm not the first prospector you've met in your day. Heheh." he goes on, chuckling at his own joke. "I myself am curious as to what mineral deposits exist in the untapped wastes of the South Polar region. Surely you and Mr. Starkwether would have much to discuss."
Mr. Rockefeller chuckles and says "No, you're right, I've certainly met my share, Mr. Poole, but I'm of the opinion that everyone is a prospector and is looking for something. Most people don't go as far as the Antarctic in their search, but those that do...are very special indeed. James has already briefed me on the potential that exists under the ice, but I'll be very interested to read your reports. Be sure to stop by and see me upon your return."

taitzu52 said:
He purposefully withholds his opinions on the trip's organization, still being fairly ignorant of the logistical facts. He subtly leans to the side, to follow Professor Moore's movements, eager to talk to him once more.
Professor Moore remains in the front of the room, seated at his table.

jdeleski

First Post
James Starkweather Steps Up

After you have finished dining on your choice of roast duck with orange sauce, Beef Wellington, or broiled salmon filet, all accompanied by tender asparagus with almonds and a helping of thin slices of garlic-spiced potatoes, the serving staff then delivers flaming Bananas Foster and offers you either a wonderfully-fragrant coffee, potent tea, or a citrus tonic. While sipping your beverage, you hear the tapping of a crystal glass over the PA system, “Ting, ting, ting…”.

You see that Dr. Moore is standing once again at the microphone and the conversations begin quieting down.

Dr. Moore begins: “It is now my great honor to present to you an individual who has left large and deep footprints in the annals of exploration. After earning the rank of Captain during the Great War for his valiant action and leadership, he established himself as the premier safari guide in Africa. His expeditions discovered large numbers of important artifacts that are being studied by archeologists even today. He later led successful expeditions to the Australian desert, and to the Himalayan Plateau which he wrote of in his published book “Survival at the World’s Roof”. After returning for a period of time to his work in Africa, he once again answered the call and led teams to the North Pole and to the jungles of Costa Rica. And now, to our great benefit, he has agreed to lead our expedition to the Antarctic. I am proud and honored to present to you tonight, Captain James Starkweather."

James Starkweather rises from his chair to a loud standing ovation and briskly strides up to the platform, pausing with a broad smile to vigorously shake Dr. Moore’s hand. After the two exchange a few words and laugh together, he turns and steps up to the podium. The applause continues as he raises his hands to the audience, saying “Thank you,” and he waits. After the applause continues on for another ten seconds or so, he laughs and again raises his hands, saying “Thank you,” and he waits. This time, the audience begins quieting down and returning to their seats.

OOC - If you have any actions that you'd like to take prior to the start of this speech, be sure to let me know in a post. If you do not state otherwise, I assume that everyone is seated at their table and that Camille has found an empty seat in the middle of the ballroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
jdeleski said:
After introductions are made, he asks with a wry smile "So gentlemen, if you don't mind my asking, how well do you feel this expedition is being organized? And, if you had your way, what suggestions would you make to our fearless leader?"

VIttorio shakes the man's hand respectfully. "Sir, I have nothing negative to report about the organization. It appears that Mr. Starkweather and Dr. Moore have done all with an attention to detail missing in many expeditions, and an open ear to the opinions of the team members. While I have not been dealing directly with Dr. Moore, Mr. Starkweather has been a consumate professional. I would heartily give my recommendation to the funding of the expedition, even if I were not partaking in it."

At Mr. Sykes arrives, Vittorio recognizes in his weathered face another professional. Shaking his hand with vigor, he greets the guide warmly. "Pleased to meet you, sir. Have you met Mr. Guerini? He is a guide, as well. Experienced men like you should find plenty to discuss," he said with a smile.

He bows slightly to Rockefeller and returns to his seat as Dr. Moore begins to speak.

Remove ads