• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't hold your breath, but...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There is a slim chance that we have a very recent (May 8th) backup of the database. There's also a chance that that copy may be corrupted, though. Stay tuned!

Ambrus

Explorer
I know you're busy working on the matter and I appreciate all the time you and others are putting into fixing the boards, but do you have any idea when we might know for certain whether this backup is viable or not and how long thereafter it might be uploaded if it is? I'm just trying to gauge if I should dedicate some time to trying to rebuild my missing threads now or to wait and see.

Ilium

First Post
Hmm..Now I don't know whether to try and get my account fixed or not. Long story short, I had to create a new account. I guess I'll wait for this to get decided before I ask somebody to mess with it.

Thanks for the heads-up Morrus.

Elodan

Adventurer
Just curious.

In the off-chance you do have the later backup and it's salvagable, what happens to the changes and posts that are made since the December backup was restored?

Do they disappear or is the plan to do a differential backup of what's been updated since the December restore and apply it after the newer backup is restored (it's been my experience that restores of database backups are distructive by nature)?

Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Elodan said:
Just curious.

In the off-chance you do have the later backup and it's salvagable, what happens to the changes and posts that are made since the December backup was restored?

Do they disappear or is the plan to do a differential backup of what's been updated since the December restore and apply it after the newer backup is restored (it's been my experience that restores of database backups are distructive by nature)?

Thanks.

It'll be one or t'other. Given the choice between the last 5 months of content and the last 2 days, I think I'm fairly safe in assuming that there won't be much disagreement on that issue.

However, it is too early to call yet. We still don't know if that backup is usable. If it is, we'll definately use it.

Michael Morris

First Post
If we are able to go to a newer backup then I'll find a way transfer the posts even if it's simply locking this december based board and leaving it open for 2 weeks alongside the newer board, allowing people to copy over what they want to copy.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ilium said:
Hmm..Now I don't know whether to try and get my account fixed or not. Long story short, I had to create a new account. I guess I'll wait for this to get decided before I ask somebody to mess with it.

Thanks for the heads-up Morrus.
Oh, I forgot about that. Looks like you have a working account for now, though. :\

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Spoony,

I didn't realize you were in Oak Ridge. That's my home town, though I moved away a long time ago. I noticed you have a University of Kentucky email suffix? If you ever commute to Lexington from Oak Ridge, I'd be happy to meet and buy you dinner somewhere as a way of saying thanks for all you've done to get the boards back up. Plus, it'll give me a chance to find out what's going on in Oak Ridge. I've been a long time gone.

My CS account is down right now, but when you're not busy you can e-mail me at aegis409 at adelphia dot net.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads