• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Diving/Falling into water.

Tangent from the Rules - That Sinking Feeling thread.. Didn't want to continue discussing HR potential over there :)

The discussion revolves around the interaction between falling/diving and sinking.. rules that are not fully developed in the RAW. {If you wish to debate this statement, please do so on the above linked thread.}

Here is my initial proposal on the Rules thread before I remembered which Forum I was in :)[/quote]Dive into water and go to a depth of 10 feet for every 30' of diving..
HR -> Fall into water and go to a depth of 5' for every 30' of falling.

Impact before you reach the stated depth deals damage of 1d6 per 10' of distance remaining.
{e.g., you dive from 90' up into a 10' basin of water. You needed 20' more to be safe and end up with 2d6 damage from smacking your face on the bottom of the pool}

Once in the water, you may sink based on your encumbrance. Armor Check Penalty is added to the number of feet sunk. Sinking happens at the start of your turn.

Light Load: 0'
Moderate Load: 10'
Heavy Load: 20'

As you are drifting, there is not damage from sinking into sharp pointy things.

As a succesfull Swim check lets you move up to half your movement once per round, this means an average human in Full Plate with a Heavy shield would have an Armor Check of 8 and, assuming successful checks, can swim 15' each round...
Lightly Encumbered he would only make 7' headway towards the surface
Moderately Encumbered he would gradually sink at a rate of 3' per round
Heavly encumbered he would rapidly sink at a rate of 13' per round

Does this hit the character twice for encumbrance and Armor Check penalty {as they impact the Swim check}? Yup. I don't have much of a problem with that

Does this get realy into simulationism? Nope. I ignore lots of stuff like boyancy and math.. but I think the end result is a relatively clean and usable HR.
I have HR'd swim to be like Jump in that your Swim check result is used to figure the distance travelled.. making the 1' incremental rate of sinking mean a bit more.[/quote]

JonnyFive then asks "ok here is a question, can you use swim check to lessen a fall into water as say a cliff diver would?"

I would allow that.. altho not to sure how. It should be difficult {as evidenced by the limited number of cliff divers}, so perhaps a Swim check vs DC 20. Each point over the DC reduces the depth of the resulting dive by 1 '. With this, a 90' dive usually requires 30' of water. You would need to roll a 40 on the Swim check to be safe in 10' of water.
{again, ignoring physics and the importance of cliff divers timing thier entry with the upsurge of the surf..which impacts the depths they reach..mainly a SWAG of what sounds like it makes sense and would run smoothly in a game.}

Thoughts, Improvements, flames for being a Poster C?

:)

JonnyFive

First Post
i wqs outa town, still perhaps lessening the check to lessen the fall, say +1 dc for 2 feet. tyhe idea i have it that a 10th level char witha high str and a maxed out swim is a very very good diver. thats just me though.

Remove ads