• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating Davy Jones (now with Pirates of the Caribbean 3 spoilers)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Extra Spoiler Warning

Over in the Seaclaimed Creature thread in Homebrews, discussion of creating Davy Jones in D&D terms arose. Let's see what we can come up with.

Here are noteworthy comments so far:

Olly said:
Personally, I'd peg Davy Jones as a rogue/barbarian, possibly epic. He is, after all, 'The Devil Of The Deeps'...

Olly said:
And what about Davy Jones himself? No squid-head random change?

Shade said:
I wasn't sure if the template should be able to duplicate Mr. Jones entirely. What do you think?

demiurge1138 said:
I don't think so - for one thing, he's some sort of variant lich (no spellcasting, but he's got his heart in a box!). So some sort of undead is certainly in order. He might as well be unique.

Shade said:
He's unique, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I see him as undead in the D&D sense...more as an aberration or monstrous humanoid with a unique ability preventing death, perhaps? He definitely seems vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (what with his lovelorn nature) and he sleeps.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nichols said:
Wasn't there a spell, originally in Tome & Blood, that duplicated Davey Jones' heart trick?

Yep, Hide Life. It says it usually is the little finger of the left hand, but nothing rules out using the heart. Good catch! :D

Land Outcast

Explorer
We have to remember his partial kraken command (partial because he needed the sonic-wave-emmiter (aka thing that does noise) to call it, but he could direct it)...

Of course he's unique! How many Flying Dutchmans do you see around?

Olly

First Post
I'm actually reconsidering my barbarian suggestion. Davy Jones couldn't possibly be a barbarian, on the grounds that barbarians are chaotic, whereas Jones' behavior strikes me as very lawful. He plays by the rules.

Also, and this is probably just me being pedantic, but can we come up with an alternative name for his ship? I have issues with the name 'Flying Dutchman' being used in a world where Holland (and, thus Dutchmen, flying or otherwise) does not exist. :\

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
Personally, I wouldn't make kraken control one of his abilities. He obviously owned drums of the Kraken. ;)

Good call!

Olly said:
Also, and this is probably just me being pedantic, but can we come up with an alternative name for his ship? I have issues with the name 'Flying Dutchman' being used in a world where Holland (and, thus Dutchmen, flying or otherwise) does not exist.

Probably a good idea, if in a sidebar if nothing else. Any suggestions?

Olly

First Post
Not sure of any ship names, at the moment, I'm afraid. We could go down the generic route and call it 'The Ship Of Lost Souls', unless anybody can think of anything better. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads