• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant Entangle

Greetings, over in the Thorn Elemental thread, I mentioned my variant Entangle spells and Land Outcast wanted more info..

rather than tying up his thread and the awesome critter he is designing, I decided to open this thread to repost these spells that were last paretially hashed out in the Crash period..

The intent is to scale Entangle down and bit and provide a ramp from it and Plant Growth up to higher level Druidic goodness....

Note, the Hampered terrain is in addition to the movement cost for light or heavy underbrush...

HR Entangle
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1, Plant 1, Rgr1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No
Reversable
This spell has different effects based on which version is cast:
Overgrowth
Present vegetation twists and grabs at all within the area of effect, potentially Entangling them. A REF Save negates this Entanglement. For the duration of the spell, the area is Hampers movement as difficult terrain. The Druidic Woodland stride negates this effect.
An Entangled creature may break free with a full round action and a successful STR check or Escape Artist check vs DC 20.
Enrichment
This effect targets plants within a range of one-quarter mile, raising their potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal.

This spell has no effect on plant creatures.

Minor Plant Growth
Transmutation
Level: Drd 3, Plant 3, Rgr3
Duration: 1 min./level (D); See text
Reversable
Overgrowth
Present undergrowth grows to become Heavy Underbrush
Light Underbrush springs up within the area of effect.
Present, and newly grown, vegetation twists and grabs at all within the area of effect, potentially Entangling them. A REF Save negates this Entanglement. For the duration of the spell, the area is Hampers movement as difficult terrain.
An Entangled creature may break free with a full round action and a successful STR check or Escape Artist check vs DC 23.
Enrichment
This effect targets plants within a range of one-half mile, raising their potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal.

Major Plant Growth
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5, Plant 5, Rgr5
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Reversable
Overgrowth
Present undergrowth grows to become Heavy Underbrush
Light Underbrush springs up within the area of effect.
Present vegetation twists and grabs at all within the area of effect, potentially Grappling them. A REF Save negates this Grapple. For the duration of the spell, movement is limited to 5' for meduim creatures or 10' for larger creatures.
A creature Grappled by the vegetation takes 1D6 damage each round. They may break free with a full round action and a successful STR check or Escape Artist check vs DC 25.
Enrichment
This effect targets plants within a range of one mile, raising their potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
In general, I like your changes to entangle. Part of me always wants to call the spell overpowered, but another part always reminds me it is only overpowered in a wilderness campaign. In the campaign I'm currently running (where the PCs are 10th level), the druid has only cast entangle once or twice in the campaign, and always on random encounters.

However, I don't think the enrichment stuff is necessary. Not to mention ridiculously powerful considering the potential economic gains from increasing crop yield so substantially with such a minor spell.

Thanks for a post!!

I was starting to wonder if this second posting of these {the first got lost in the crash} would ever get comment. I know these spells aren't the best and still need some tweaking..

As to the enrichment effect, the third level version is exactly like the core Plant Growth 3rd level spell. I just spread it up and down to fit the other two spells in the chain...
and besides, 'overpowered' is a heft term to toss at a mechanic that will almost never be seen..how often do your players try to make money off of farming?
I like the addition because a druids realm would have multiple casting of enrichment, meaning the flora will be thicker and ...well.. enriched. This spell is the reason for that. :)

Remove ads