• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Guardsmith's The Draminov Cases (full)

Guardsmith

First Post
Link to other threads:

In character thread - here

Rogues Gallery - here

Before I get to the specifics, let me start with a couple general things. First, feats, skills, starting occupations and such from the Core Rulebook (which I’m going to abbreviate as CR) are all pre-approved, meaning that you don’t have to ask for my approval to take them. If you would like to do something that isn’t in the CR, please ask first.

I do own a few additional books in addition to the CR, namely:
Urban Arcana
Menace Manual
d20 Past
d20 Future
Modern Player’s Companion
Ultramodern Firearms
Now, this is not a list of the allowed books, but it is a list of books that have the material that will get the fastest approval/disapproval. Stuff from other books will take time, as I will have to research or buy the book.

Secondly, I’d like to use Invisible Castle to verify rolls.

Now on to specifics:

Ability scores: To generate ability scores, use the Planned Generation method on CR page 15. PCs have 28 points to distribute. No starting ability score may be below 8 or above 18.

Starting level: All PCs will begin at level 2 with maximum Hit Points for both levels.

Wealth: Players may either determine their character’s starting Wealth bonus randomly (as explained on CR p38) or, instead of rolling, they may figure their starting bonus as if they had rolled a 5 and add the appropriate bonuses from their starting occupation and, possibly, the Windfall feat. Player’s may not, however, take the latter option if they have already rolled for random determination.

Setting: For the most part, the setting of the campaign will resemble the Shadow Chasers campaign setting in the CR. The PCs are “average joes” with the ability to see the Shadow and its activities while “normals” can not.

The time period is present day, and to make life easy for me, the location is Boston, Massachusetts, and its environs.

Magic: As stated in my previous post, the magic level in this campaign will be in the medium area; to compare it to the campaign settings in the CR, it will have more magic than Shadow Chasers, but not as much as Urban Arcana. As far as advanced and prestige classes go, mages and their derivatives are permitted. Acolytes and all psionic classes are not. Some divine spells (specifically healing) will be added to the mage’s spell list, but we can deal with that in more detail when the time comes.

Backgrounds: PCs will have a fair amount of freedom, within reason, as far as background info goes. All I ask is two things:

1. Somewhere in their background, your character should have had some brush with the supernatural. Not just any brush; it has to be one that caused problems for them. Perhaps they saw/felt/heard something and no one else did. They may have lost a job or friend or something like that because of it, but I’ll leave the details up to you. What is important is that they experienced something, others didn’t believe them, and the character suffered as a result.

2. While I don’t mind party banter and competition, intra-party fighting and combat is not appropriate for this campaign. Please try to make characters that can work together. They don’t have to like each other, but they do have to realize they are all on the same side.

OK, that’s all I can think of for the moment. I’ve posted House Rules and some revised damage and armor stuff here in PDF that people should take a look at. Just let me know if anyone has any questions.

Oh, one last thing. In addition to this thread, I’ll make a Rogues Gallery thread for people to post characters. While I don’t mind people seeing each other’s stats, I would like for PCs’ backgrounds to remain confidential from other players. As I’m a novice at this, what the best way to accomplish this?

Attachments

• House Rules - March 07.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Revised Bullet Damage.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Revised Modern Armor.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
woo! first post.

OK, best way to keep backgrounds from being shared would be (IMO) to have us all use Spoilers ( [ sblock ] and [ /sblock ] Without the spaces), put the backgrounds in there and then we work off of Trust. If you don't like that idea, post your email address and we can just email them to you. I personally prefer the Spoilers to email.

NOW, as to our brush with the supernatural.. You said it had to be something that really affected us, but is there a specific limit on how big, or on what kind of supernatural?

(Ghosts, Werewolves, Vampires, Time Travel, Witchcraft, Lost father when father gave life to stop an Apocalypse)? etc etc etc... Just wondering if there are any specifics that wouldn't work for you.

Guardsmith

First Post
Jemal said:
OK, best way to keep backgrounds from being shared would be (IMO) to have us all use Spoilers ( [ sblock ] and [ /sblock ] Without the spaces), put the backgrounds in there and then we work off of Trust. If you don't like that idea, post your email address and we can just email them to you. I personally prefer the Spoilers to email.

I thought those might be the only methods, but I wasn't sure. Unless, someone has a better idea, go ahead and use the Spoilers.

Jemal said:
NOW, as to our brush with the supernatural.. You said it had to be something that really affected us, but is there a specific limit on how big, or on what kind of supernatural?

(Ghosts, Werewolves, Vampires, Time Travel, Witchcraft, Lost father when father gave life to stop an Apocalypse)? etc etc etc... Just wondering if there are any specifics that wouldn't work for you.

Ummm ... don't make it too big, i.e. Apocalypse-sized. Something that happened to you and no more than 20-30 people.

As for type:

Ghosts, vampires, other undead = OK
Werewolves, other lycanthropes = OK
Witchcraft & magic = OK
Time Travel = not OK
Angels, demons, fiends = OK
Goblins, orcs, ogres, drow = not OK
elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes = not OK

Insight

Adventurer
I'd like to try a martial arts character using the Blood & Fists supplement(s).

Here is a link to the EN World reviews of the product.

EDIT: I also just picked up an alternate martial arts system, Martial Arts Mayhem, by the same folks who did the Modern Players Companion.

OK I've come up with a bit more of a concept for the character. Let me know if this would work.

[sblock]Ryu Zanshin was a cop on the Boston PD for seven years until a bullet to the spine left him paralyzed and unlikely ever to walk again. Despite the many setbacks Ryu endured trying to recover from his injury, one day he was visited by the ghost of his father, Jin. Ryu's father instructed him to go to Japan and visit his ancestral home. There, Ryu would learn Zen Archery as well as medicinal techniques that would recover him fully from the paralysis. With no other real options, Ryu followed the ghost's advice and traveled to Japan.

In Japan, Ryu learned that his ancestors had been heavily involved in Zen Archery as well as Chinese mysticism. His father's ghost returned, and taught Ryu the basics in both over the next six months. Ryu grew stronger each day, in both body and spirit, as he applied both medicine and Zen techniques. Eventually, Ryu would walk again.

Ryu has returned to Boston, but no one would believe that a ghost taught him to walk again. Unable to return to police work, Ryu has earned a license as a private investigator, but is now unsure of his true calling. Ryu knows he has a purpose in life, but chooses to let that purpose come to him for now, rather than seek it out.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
What about the Shadow Slayer advanced class? I'm thinking of making a PC headed in that direction, but wanted to check it with you first...

Guardsmith

First Post
Answers

A few answers for you guys:

Insight: I'm more open to Martial Arts Mayhem than I am to Blood & Fists. Let me do a bit of research and get back to you.

Rhun: The Shadow Slayer class is fine

Dire Lemming: Some spots may have opened up, but I've got to talk to couple of people first, as they were ahead of you.

Insight

Adventurer
Guardsmith said:
A few answers for you guys:

Insight: I'm more open to Martial Arts Mayhem than I am to Blood & Fists. Let me do a bit of research and get back to you.

Rhun: The Shadow Slayer class is fine

Dire Lemming: Some spots may have opened up, but I've got to talk to couple of people first, as they were ahead of you.

Blood & Fists is a lot more comprehensive than is Martial Arts Mayhem - at least for my current character concept. But as long as you are perhaps open to one or the other I can at least have some sort of martial arts character, which is the goal. If you are opposed to using Blood & Fists, I'll have to rework the concept or create a completely different idea, neither of which I am afraid to do.

Guardsmith

First Post
MAM vs. B&F

Insight said:
Blood & Fists is a lot more comprehensive than is Martial Arts Mayhem - at least for my current character concept. But as long as you are perhaps open to one or the other I can at least have some sort of martial arts character, which is the goal. If you are opposed to using Blood & Fists, I'll have to rework the concept or create a completely different idea, neither of which I am afraid to do.

I'm glad you don't mind using either one, because I think I'm going to go with Martial Arts Mayhem. In fact, I've already bought the PDF downloads.

IMHO, MAM just has a couple more thing going for it over B&F. First, it doesn't add a ton skills, feats, and PrCs to keep track of. Second, it's made by the guys who designed d20M which, I think, gives them a bit more insight into the workings of the game.

If you're going to rework the concept/background, I'll refrain from commenting on the one you posted until I see the new one.

Guardsmith

First Post
Btw

Possibly stupid question from a newbie (namely me): How do you get the Spoiler Block to say something besides "Spoiler" next the the "Hide" button? I've seen others put "OOC" or"For [name of player]" there instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads