• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need ideas for bayoneted rifle gun-fu

Storyteller01

First Post
Just thought it up at work, and now it won't leave until I work it out. :mad:

The idea is using a reinforced rifle/bayonet combo as a close quarters double weapon (a funky shortspear?) and the rifle for ranged, with exceptional fighters able to mix the two (shooting in a stance that originally was meant for spearman defense, etc). The military already teaches pulling the trigger if a bayonet jams.

Anyone know where I might find examples of this, or is this something new?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
It's basically an advanced form of the simple bayonet techniques currently taught. Such specialization would require an entirely new school of thought and years of development, focusing almost exclusively on using the weapon to its maximum, unique, advantages. I am unaware of any such development in the real world.
It could work, and it could be devastatingly effective in both close quarters and at medium to long ranges since it would (theoretically) incorporate all the advantages of a rifle and all the advantages of a spear into one technique.
It's biggest flaw would be the relatively short reach of the melee options. Most rifle-bayonet combinations in use today only increase a persons' reach by about two feet.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Heh, that sounds like my troll from Shadowrun, with his bayoneted rifle, the idea being that way he didn't have to drop his weapon to engage in melee. Also, due to a quirk in the wording of the bayonet rules ("treat a bayoneted rifle as a spear"), I got sick reach advantages out of it, and as this was 2nd edition, Reach counted both ways, as a target # reducer for the user and a target number increase for the other guy. Great fun.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads