• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

The War of the Burning Sky

Introduction
Castle Korstull, Exarchate of Sindaire
November 17th

Once again, the world has ended.

Coaltongue is dead. The wily and charismatic half orc, who carved an empire out of the heart of the continent of Sarlonna, has met his doom on a foreign field, and his body has not been recovered. And when the tiger dies, the jackals start to fight over his remains …

The Scouring of Gate Pass

Prologue
Council Chamber, Free City of Gate Pass
December 31st, 5 pm

It’s New Year’s Eve, but the councillors are in no mood for celebration. The Ragesian 2nd army, under General Danava, is camped outside the city’s western gate. Gate Pass is the only territory ever to regain its independence after being absorbed into the Ragesian Empire, and its current councillors are acutely aware this legacy hangs by a thread.

Governor Merrick Hurt has the floor.

“Councillors, I have made no secret of my admiration for the late Emperor Coaltongue, and my belief that good relations with the Empire are in the city’s best interests. Also, I’m sure you know how I feel about our other neighbours, those treacherous Elven scum to the east.”

A few chuckles from the audience help to relieve some of the tension.

“Having said that, I don’t want to give in to that scheming bitch Leska, and let her cursed inquisitors loose in our own city, dragging off any of our citizens that take their fancy, never to be seen again.

“But what choice to we have? Danava’s army would be a tough enough challenge on its own, and with Leska’s inquisitors on hand to counter Gabal’s mages, we’ve no chance.

“So, I’m open to suggestions.”

Master wizard Gabal was the first to respond. “Let the inquisitors in.”

The evoker grinned at his colleagues’ reaction. “Surprised, are you? Don’t worry, I have no desire to end up as another victim of Leska’s Scourge of magic users. What I do have is a plan. Its risky. But we’re in a sticky situation here and I don’t see any other options. Let me explain …..”

After the meeting broke up, councillor Erdan Menesh headed back outside. Waiting for him was a tall, tanned woman with short white hair.

“How did the meeting go?” she asked.

“As well as could be expected. We are going with Gabal’s plan. I just wish I shared Gabal’s confidence in his own abilities.”

“So do we still relocate the Resistance to Seaquen? I’ve arranged the meeting with the potential recruits at the Apple at midnight, and we’ll rendezvous with Badgerface at the depository some time after that.”

“Yep, we proceed as planned – but with one minor alteration. Hurt wants to defy Ragesia for a bit, claims it’ll look more plausible. I reckon he’s worried Leska will think he’s a wimp if the city capitulates too soon. Anyway, things could get a bit hairy later if Danava decides to make a point. For the time being, the best position for you and your healing magic is by the West Gate, to deal with any casualties.

“Let Caryk handle the meeting. He’s anxious to prove himself to the Resistance, and it’s a straightforward enough task.”

Act 1 – The Secret Meeting
The Poison Apple Pub, Free City of Gate Pass
December 31st, 11.45 pm

Normally, the city’s street are thronged with revellers on New Year’s Eve. This year, with the Ragesian 2nd army on the city’s doorstep “securing the Empire’s borders in these uncertain times”, and rumours that bounty hunters, inquisitors, elven spies and worse were roaming the city’s streets, most people have chosen to spend the night indoors.

Thus the three strangers walking purposefully through the city’s westernmost district were painfully aware of one another. As is usual in such circumstances, they were a disparate bunch.

The first was dressed as a scholar, and had a thoughtful, almost abstracted expression on his face. He was obviously taking the rumours seriously, because in addition to his staff he had a crossbow slung across his back. There was also something odd about his appearance, but none of the rare passers-by could quite identify what it was. Some of them speculated that it was the newness of all his possessions. All he owned seemed to have been purchased recently, and by some strange trick of the flickering street lights even his body somehow seemed recently acquired.

Close on his heels clanked a woman dressed in an ancient chain shirt. She too had a crossbow, but it was clearly just for show- the amount of rust on its firing mechanism made it dangerous to its wielder as well as its target.

Bringing up the rear was a non-descript man wearing studded leather armour. Of the three, he alone seemed at home roaming the city streets after dark, and he was the only one to spot two men and a mangy dog loitering down a nearby alley next to a small hand cart loaded with junk. However, concerned with reaching his destination, he paid them no mind.

Once the unlikely trio had passed down the street, one of the loiterers turned to his companion.

“Are you sure those were magic users? Don’t look like any magic users I’ve ever seen.”

His companion shrugged. “Who cares? Kathor reckons they’re worth a hundred each, plus another hundred for that priest woman Torrent, and that’s good enough for me. Let’s go; it’s your turn to pull the cart.”

Nobody noticed the disgruntled eagle, trailing down the street after the three mages and wishing it was safely tucked up in its nest for the night.

Three strangers arrived outside the Poison Apple Pub, and finally ruefully acknowledged that they were all headed for the same destination.

The front door was boarded up. The notice on the door read :-

“Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple
Pub, has been taken into temporary custody
under the protection of the city guard, until such
time that he can be questioned by representatives
of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of
hostile collusion. The Poison Apple Pub is hereby
closed until further notice.”

The scholar shrugged, headed around the building to the side door, and knocked gently. There was the brief sound of someone moving around inside, the clink of a heavy key turning in the lock, and then the door opened. The three were greeted with the bizarre sight of a creature which seemed to combine the ugliest features of humans and turtles. It was naked apart from bandoliers bristling with axes, daggers and javelins.

“Um, eh, hi. Do come in,” mumbled the creature, eyes downcast.

The party trooped into the tavern’s tap room, which currently consisted of an empty bar and one table on which stood a barrel of beer and three tankards.

As the creature moved to relock the door, the scholar had the brief sensation of wings flapping past his ears. Seeing nothing, he moved to examine the beer barrel.

“I am, um, Caryk,” said the creature. “Please drink some beer as a celebration of the new year.”

“Drinking? Of course! Now I understand,” replied the scholar, making no attempt to pour himself some beer. “I am Jonathan Farrier. I am a scholar.”

Caryk and Jonathan turned to look at the woman in the chain shirt, which seemed to disconcert her. She looked around the room, as if seeking inspiration, and then said unconvincingly, “My name is … Deirdre.”

The other visitor, the male in studded leather, said confidently, “My name is Gribron”.

“What?” replied the rest, pretty much in unison.

“Gr-ib-ron.”

Everybody studied the beer barrel, and ‘Deirdre’ went so far as to pour herself a drink.

Maybe I should change my alias, thought ‘Gribron’. Everybody always has trouble pronouncing it.

“And my name is Solsus”, said a disembodied voice from the corner. Slowly a figure appeared, resembling a very short Elf with gossamer wings. “Sorry for intruding, but I had a feeling this would be an interesting meeting. Could someone please open the door and let in my eagle.”

Caryk sighed, trudged back to the door and laboriously unlocked it. A vicious looking raptor, with a three foot wingspan, burst into the room and (with some difficulty) perched next to Solsus. It seemed to be in a very bad mood. Caryk shrugged, closed the door and locked it.

Once Caryk had returned to the middle of the room he looked through his various scabbards and bandoliers for his prepared speech. This took several minutes, but eventually he was forced to accept he’d forgotten to bring it with him. He’d have to ad lib.

“Um, would anyone like a drink?”

“Yes please,” replied Gribron, who proceeded to help himself to a beer.

“No thank you!” said Solsus. “I don’t touch alcohol. It has all sorts of unforeseen consequences. Far too frivolous. I strongly urge you all to abstain.”

Caryk tried to remember everything Torrent had told him to say, and began to speak.

“Um, thank you three for coming; I mean thank you four, or five if you count the eagle. We need to head for the repository, and take a case from Rivereye Badgerwhotsit to Seaquen. All hail the Resistance!”

The response was mixed.

“Do you mean the depository?” asked Gribron..

“How are you planning to get out of the city, given that the Council has sealed the gates?” enquired Jonathan. “And how are you going to avoid all the Ragesian patrols between here and there?”

Caryk seemed to warm to his task. “The Badger has obtained vital information from Ragos, the very capital of the Empire. The Resistance is an extremely powerful body, and normally such key documents would be teleported to their destination. Normally getting out of the city would be easy.”

“I couldn’t help noticing you mentioned the word “normally” a few times,” commented Jonathan.

“Ah,” replied Caryk. “Unfortunately we can’t teleport at the moment because ever since the Emperor died people who teleport long distances have arrived at their destination burnt to a crisp. Instead the plan is to head for Seaquen via the Fire Forest. The Ragesians won’t patrol the Fire Forest because ever since it started burning forty years ago everyone who has entered has been burnt to a crisp.”

The response from his audience was less than positive.

“Did I mention Torrent has given me a load of fire resistance potions? I’m sure I must have. Anyway …”

It is now midnight. All the bells in the city ring out in celebration of the new year. Whatever else Caryk says is drowned out by the noise.

Abruptly the bells cease, and Gribron hears the floorboards creak upstairs, as if someone was walking on them. He points this out to the rest. Caryk is puzzled. He confirmed earlier that the pub was empty, so how can someone be moving around upstairs?

And now everyone can hear dull muted thumps coming from outside, as if ripe fruit was falling onto the rooftops.

Caryk snatches up his backpack, and heads for the side door, key in hand. Solsus pulls out his sling, and slowly fades from sight.

From outside comes the cry, “Front door, go!” and something heavy smashes into the main door. It rattles on its hinges, but still holds. The need for stealth over, a group of men, armed with morning stars, stomp down the stairs.

No one is expecting what happens next.

There is a dull thud, as something strikes the roof, followed almost immediately by a deafening boom. The whole inn shakes. Screams of agony come from the men on the stairs – only the bottom two escape the carnage. Then the ceiling boards start to crack and buckle, whole sections then give way and a fiery rain leaks down into the room. Fortunately, none of the group are standing in the affected areas.

Caryk unlocks the side door, and heads out into the alley. He immediately realises that to his left the narrow passage has now been deliberately blocked by a new pile of rubble, and to his right stand a pair of humans, equipped with saps and shields. Alongside them is a mangy dog, which snaps and snarls.

“Drop your weapons and come quietly,” says the larger of the two men. “We don’t want to break your valuable little heads.”

Unable to think of a pithy response, Caryk steps forward and swings a punch at the speaker. The man easily blocks the blow on his shield, and sneers contemptuously. “You’ll have to do better than that, you ugly beggar.”

Jonathan is hard on Caryk’s heels. Spotting the men, he pulls back the hood of his scholar’s robe and fixes them with an icy stare. “Tremble before me, mortals!” he booms. The two thugs seem visibly shaken by his actions.

Inside the building, the invisible Solsus looses a sling bullet at one of the two survivors of the ill fated indoor ambush party. However, all the confusion affects his aim, and the shot is well wide. He too then heads out the door and, not liking conditions on the ground, flies straight up in the air.

His eagle however, has one thought on its mind. It flies out of the building and heads off down the alleyway. It lacks Solsus’s grace in the air, so wouldn’t be able to replicate his flight path even if it was able to see him.

Gribron and Deirdre, now alone in the pub with two thugs, react in different ways. Gribron starts chanting a spell. Deirdre simply points at the nearest opponent, and a blast of eldritch energy shoots from her hand. Its hard to target in all the smoke and rubble, and her victim is able to dodge her attack.

Out in the alleyway, the two thugs swing at Caryk with their saps. He’s a nimble opponent, and they are suffering the effects of what Jonathan did to them. When their blows land, he’s no longer in the way.

“Go on Sauce, get the bleeder!” orders one of the thugs. Reluctantly the dog complies, but its bite cannot penetrate Caryk’s tough skin.

“They are in the alley. Drop the ram and use your crossbows,” says a crisp voice. The street’s flickering torch light makes identifying enemies difficult, but Caryk’s eyesight is better than a human’s in such low light conditions. He spots a man on horseback, some distance from the pub, who seems to be co-ordinating the thugs’ efforts.

There’s the sound of a heavy object – presumably the battering ram – hitting the ground, and two more thugs come into view. They move opposite the alley entrance, and take careful aim with their crossbows.

After missing with his first punch, Caryk tries a different approach. He snatches out his hatchet from its holster, and brings it down in a vicious overhead blow. The thug’s sneer slowly fades as he realises the axe is buried in his head. He drops to the ground.

Jonathan fixes his gaze on the second thug, but nothing happens.

Solsus heads towards the crossbowmen, and looses off another sling bullet. He misses again. As he does so, he lets off a piercing whistle. His loyal eagle, having recovered from its initial panic, swoops around and heads for the source of the noise.

Inside the pub, the two intruders pick their way cautiously through the burning rubble, and manage to reach Gribron just as his spell takes effect. Despite the gravity of the situation, they both decide to take a nap.

Since the situation inside now seems to be under control, Deirdre heads out into the alleyway. It seems very crowded here, so she walks up the wall of the neighbouring building and surveys the scene from its roof. Calmly, she lets off a blast of energy at the remaining thug fighting Caryk. It strikes him a glancing blow, but he stays on his feet.

Gritting his teeth, the thug drops his sap and pulls out his shortsword. Bounty or no bounty, all thoughts of subduing their quarry seem to have fled. Unfortunately for him, he still can’t manage to hit the elusive Caryk, and neither can Sauce.

The other two thugs fire their crossbows at Caryk. It’s a very tricky shot, with their comrade in the way, but more by luck than judgement one bolt strikes home. Caryk chokes back a cry of pain, and does his best to ignore the wound, but he looks in very bad shape. He slashes his opponent with his axe, but doesn’t come close to hitting.

The eagle swoops down on one of the crossbowmen, but misses. Gribron, alone in the pub, takes the opportunity to snatch the belt pouches from the sleeping intruders. He has a deft touch, and neither one stirs.

The dog, seeing the eagle so close to the ground, runs over and tries to grasp it in his mouth. The alert eagle is too quick for him, and all Sauce gains is a couple of tail feathers.

Gribron steps into the alley and starts to cast a repeat of his sleep spell on the crossbowmen. They too are unable to resist his sorcery, and decide to have a snooze.

Solsus, anxious to protect the eagle, hits the dog with a sling stone. The eagle, however, needs no such assistance. In a whirlwind of beak and claws it kills the hapless mongrel.

The mounted man orders his last remaining thug to surrender. Then he canters off down the street.

The thug, finding himself alone, throws down his sword. Caryk leads him away from the pub, so he can question him. He learns that the thug belongs to an organisation known as the Black Horse, but the thug does not know how they found out about the meeting. Only the mounted man, Kathor, knows that. The thug is then sent on his way, and the party set off for the meeting in the depository.

Solsus, seeing Caryk’s injured condition, is able to provide him with a little magical healing, which eases some of the pain.

They have only gone a short distance when Caryk remembers that two intruders are still asleep in the burning building.

“We’ll have to go back!”
“You can if you want,” replies Solsus. “No doubt you can catch us up.”

Heading back on his own, Caryk tries to drag one of the intruders out of the building. The man wakes up in the process, and helps Caryk with the second man. Once safely outside, they start to rouse the crossbowmen. The four look appraisingly at Caryk for a second, but there’s no bounty for him so they decide to head off down the street.

Caryk soon catches up with the others, whose progress has been slowed by panicking crowds who are fleeing burning buildings. There are dark shapes flitting overhead, dropping bombs on the city.

The party encounters a family huddled outside what’s left of their house. They are badly burned. Jonathan turns out to have some skill at mundane healing, and is able to ease their condition somewhat. As they leave, Caryk gives them some of the money Gribron looted from the intruders in the inn.

There is another short delay when the party encounters a crowd gathered around a four storey building. The house is on fire, and there is a woman trapped at an upper window. Deirdre walks up the side of the house with a rope, followed by a flying Solsus. The two of them tie the rope to a piece of furniture, and do their best to take the strain themselves, and the woman climbs down without mishap.

They are heading for the gate into the next district when a massive shadow passes overhead. A wave of fear passes over everybody, and the party are lucky to avoid being crushed in the ensuing panic.

Last edited:

RangerWickett said:
Nifty.

(Psst, you have a typo in the title.)
Thanks for spotting the typo.

We have another session tonight, so will write it up Wednesday and hopefully update this thread on Thursday. Its only when you try doing it that you realise how much effort it takes to writing one of these story hours.

I can't even imagine how much work went into writing the adventure itself, so I'm even more impressed with what you guys have produced.

Act 2 – Retrieving the Case
Scene 1 - The Depository, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 1 am

When they finally reach the depository, it’s a small oasis of calm. The only entrance to the grounds is via a gate in the fence, and as usual it is manned by four guards. Unsurprisingly, the night shift consists of two dwarves and two orcs, both races being able to see in the dark.

“So, how do we get in? Did Torrent explain the correct procedure?” asks Solsus.
“Um, no,” replies Caryk.

The resistance member walks up to the guards.
“Hello. Torrent asked us to come here and inspect her locker.”
“Okay, no problem,” replies a cheerful dwarf. “I’ll just let you in. Just like to mention two things. Firstly, there are some more guards inside, and they might misunderstand if you ‘accidentally’ try and open someone else’s locker.

“Also, a while back we let in a gnome. He’s so darn ugly he could give you the fright of your life if you come across him unexpectedly.”

He leads the party through the gate, and towards the tower. The heroes can now see that it’s several stories high, with each floor apart from the ground floor ringed by a balcony. In the grounds are a pair of beautiful fountains. The one on the left depicts the four elemental spirits of local legend. The one on the right features a massive statue of Emperor Coaltongue, which has been decorated with flags and streamers in celebration of the new year.

The ground floor consists of a massive circular room, packed with lockers. There is a ramp leading upwards.

“Right, lets see if we can find Badger-whotsit,” says Gribron. The dwarf guard is heading back to his post on the gate. The promised interior guards are conspicuous by their absence.

“He must be upstairs,” says Caryk, and leads the others up the ramp. His companions have grown used to his shuffling gait, but they can’t help wishing he would move a bit faster.

A gnome is waiting for them on the next floor, near to a stack of lockers and a door which presumably leads out onto the balcony. As promised, he is very ugly.

“Greetings,” he splutters. “I am Rivereye Badgerface. Apologies for the croak. I have a cold.”

“Greetings, noble Gnome,” relies Caryk.

“Welcome,” says the Gnome to Caryk. “You must be Perrin. The case is in there.” He gestures casually to a nearby locker, and coughs. “You will need your password to open the case.”

“Who is Perrin?” asks Caryk, puzzled.

“You never mentioned a password,” says Solsus to Caryk.

“That’s because I don’t have a password. And none of us are called Perrin. There must be some mistake.”

Jonathan is intrigued by the way the gnome has apparently chosen a locker at random at which to point. As usual, nothing is making sense, and this time he decides it must be the gnome’s fault.

“Why are you lying to us?” he demands.

A thoughtful expression flits across the gnome’s face, and then strangely he seems to straighten up somewhat and grow taller - to his evident relief. “Stupid conversation anyway,” he mutters, and heads for the balcony door.

Eerily, the door opens by itself and shuts again once he has gone through.

Caryk is the first to react, and sets off in pursuit. However, he can’t match Gribron’s long legged stride – or the human’s love of brawling when the odds are five to one in his favour. Gribron gets to the door first, shoves it open – with some difficulty, almost as if the wind was trying to hold it shut.

Once out on the balcony, he spots the impostor to his left, finishing off the contents of a flask of some kind. “I’ve got you now!” he thinks, just as a glowing ball of light emerges around the side of the balcony to his left.

“What the fu …” he says, then howls in anguish as a beam of searing light flies from the glowing ball and impales him. The light seems to penetrate to the very depths of his grubby soul, and his myriad sins cry out in agony.

“Such a beautiful creature,” marvels Caryk, arriving beside Gribron a second later. “I wonder what it is.”

Meanwhile, wisely deciding not to add to the congestion out front, Deirdre and Jonathan each take one of the other two balcony doors. Once outside, Deirdre heads towards where she imagines the gnome must be. As she reaches him, the gnome discards his empty flask and runs up the side of the building, heading for the roof.

“He’s heading for the roof!” yells Gribron.

“Two can play at that game,” she replies, and follows the gnome effortlessly up the wall.

Jonathan finds his path blocked by the glowing ball of light. The necessary information appears in his mind. A minor celestial, a lantern archon to be precise. Most unusual to find one here.

A shimmer of energy appears in front of Jonathan, then surges towards the archon. Its feeble defences are no match for Jonathan’s powers, and it drops off the balcony, its light extinguished. A second later there is a dull thud as it hits the ground.

Deirdre arrives at the snowy roof hard on the gnome’s heels. Spotting her, he sprints across the treacherous surface, only just managing to keep his balance, and hurls himself off the roof into the void.

“Now that’s a game I’m not playing!” says Deirdre, and carefully picks her way across the icy roof. It appears the gnome’s leap has carried him beyond the perimeter fence. It will be interesting to see what state he’s in after falling eighty feet or more.

As it happens, the gnome drifts to earth as gently as a feather. Once safely on the ground, he turns to grin mockingly at his audience …. At that point a sling bullet appears out of nowhere, and there’s a dull thunk as it strikes him in the chest. Immediately afterwards, a brown, feathered streak of fury flashes past and gashes open his face with its talons.

No longer smiling, the gnome heads off at full speed into the nearby streets. Solsus considers pursuing him, but on sober reflection decides the powers the gnome has thus far demonstrated mean it would be folly to risk the mission by allowing himself to be distracted into a dangerous solo operation.

The rest of the party have decided to take the boring option and head for the roof via the stairs. However, their progress halts when they spot the half dozen or so bodies on the next floor. A quick inspection reveals that there are four uniformed dwarves, a uniformed half-orc and a civilian gnome. All are tied up, and all are alive but bound and unconscious – except for the half-orc, who appears to have been killed by some kind of energy ray. It seems he was struck the fatal blow after he had been knocked out and tied up.

Caryk, needing to prioritise in the face of so many casualties, tries to bring round the gnome. This proves easier said than done, but eventually, with Jonathan’s assistance, the gnome recovers consciousness.

Blearily, the gnome focuses on the wrinkled green apparition in front of him. Caryk smiles reassuringly.

“I know you,” says the gnome. “You’re one of us… The resistance…. You’re the tortle…. Your name is … your name is … Hargreaves?”

[First session ends in gales of laughter, in response to that very bad joke from myself, the DM. If you are one of the overwhelming majority of people who don’t get the “joke”, it really isn’t worth the effort of getting it explained to you.]

The heroes busy themselves with freeing the gnome and the bound guardsmen. It emerges that they were jumped by a bunch of elves. The unfortunate half-orc was murdered by the lantern archon, who took exception to something in the guard’s aura. Some taint of “evil”, whatever that means.

“So what happened to the case, Mister Badgerface?” asks Solsus.

The gnome, the real Rivereye Badgerface, looks startled at being addressed out of thin air. Belatedly Solsus remembers he is not visible, and slowly his short, winged form fades into sight.

“The elves took it, after they jumped us. Gods, those guys were dumb. I told their leader I was waiting for a guy called Perrin, who was the only one who had the password to open it. Of course, there’s no Perrin and no password, but I reckoned when Torrent arrived they’d be behaving so strange she’d be bound to figure out there was some funny business going on.”

“Any idea where they went?”

“Who knows where elves go? Into the ghetto, maybe. Although, I did hear them talking to that glowing ball thing. They were speaking in Elvish; can’t speak it meself, so dunno what they were saying. Except, funny thing is, I could understand that light easy enough, so I followed its side of the conversation. Was saying summat about them elves having a contact at the College of War.”

“What’s in the case?”

“The case is quite big, and made of black metal. I reckon its adamantine. Can’t tell you what’s in it, but its information vital to the resistance. Got me hands on it when I was working as a servant in the capital, Ragos. All us servants are under a geas not to tell people stuff we learn doing our jobs.”

At this point, worn out by the effort of conversation, the gnome slipped back into unconsciousness. Thus he was mercifully spared from having to listen to the heroes discuss the correlation, or otherwise, between a potent magical spell and a species of bird.

The situation has an air of anti-climax. The guards come to take away their injured comrades. The gnome recovers consciousness, and heads off into the night. The heroes head out into the street, and discover even the bombing has stopped. The streets are deserted.

Scene 2 – The Streets, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 1.30 am

“So, do we try the College of War, or head for the elf ghetto?” asks Gribron.

“Given that the College is on the way to the ghetto, I suggest we try the College first,” replies Jonathan, with unanswerable logic.

At this point the more keen eyed members realise that a ferocious aerial battle is taking place above their heads, between the bat-winged flyers of the Ragesian second army and the feathered griffons used by the elite units of the Gate Pass army.

One such battle is particularly close overhead. There is a loud crack as griffon and wyvern come together, and in this instance the wyvern has come off worst. It spirals down from the sky and smashes into a building at the end of the street. Almost at the same time a broken lance falls from the sky and thuds into the ground at Deirdre’s feet.

“Call me Agatha,” says the person formerly known as Deirdre, obviously disturbed by the incident.

Solsus, invisible once more, flies off down the street to investigate the crash. He sees a house with a demolished roof, and an obviously dead wyvern. A rope hangs down to the ground from the wyvern’s empty saddle. There is no sign of any rider.

The rest of the group arrive soon after, and Caryk spots footprints in the snow leading from the bottom of the rope into a nearby alley. There is a large, unidentified bundle lying at a point in the alley about a hundred feet away.

Jonathan draws his crossbow, and unerringly sends a bolt into the bundle. Those members of the party with keen hearing hear a muffled squishy sound. Gribron takes out his shortbow and tries to hit the bundle with an arrow, but at that range he is unable to hit even a stationary target and the shot goes wide.

Caryk shuffles down the alley to investigate the bundle, and is horrified to discover it is actually the corpses of a man, a woman and a youth. Jonathan’s crossbow bolt protrudes from the youth’s chest. All three have died recently from axe wounds. Bloody footprints lead into a nearby house. The door shows signs of having been forced.

The party regroups. Solsus flies over the house, and confirms the snow outside the back door is undisturbed. He elects to guard the back door.

Everyone else enters the house by the front door, and are faced with a passageway leading the length of the house. The back door is ahead of them, there are stairs leading up, and there is a door to either side. Caryk opens the door to the left, and finds an empty kitchen.

Jonathan opens the door to the right, which opens into a living room of some sort. There are clothes strewn across the floor, and an armoured man is rummaging through a wardrobe. The man is battered and bruised, and covered in blood. However, not all of it appears to be his own. A young boy is cowering in fear in the corner.

The armoured man turns around as Jonathan enters the room, and reaches for his battleaxe. However, before he can draw it Gribron moves through the doorway and makes a complicated gesture with his hands. The armoured man makes no further effort to draw his axe, and seems at a loss for what to do next.

“Somebody do something!” says Gribron. “My spell won’t hold him for long.”

Agatha hits the man with a blast of power, rocking him back. Jonathan tries to follow up with a bolt of electricity, but his power fails him and all he can manage is a feeble spark which barely injures its target.

The man is recovering from Gribron’s enchantment, but Gribron follows up with a second spell and once again the enemy’s resolution drains away. Seizing her opportunity, Agatha hits him with a second blast, and the man falls to his knees.

Jonathan and Caryk move forward to see what they can do for their fallen foe. Caryk rummages in his pack for his healing herbs, and Jonathan sees his kind hearted ally’s distraction as an opportunity to apply a coup de grace to the man, whose uniform clearly identifies him as a Ragesian soldier.

The Ragesian is swiftly looted of his valuable equipment, and then the party turn their attention to the terrified hostage. Despite their best efforts, he refuses to be calmed, and eventually Caryk is forced to sling him over his shoulder. At Solsus’s suggestion they leave by the back door, sparing the lad the sight of his family lying dead out front (one of whom has Jonathan’s crossbow bolt sticking out of him).

Caryk knows that of a nearby temple to Olladra, which doubles as a resistance safe house, and the group decide to take the lad there.

The temple is packed with over a hundred people, and the atmosphere is explosive. A female half elf, dressed in black, is sat just inside the front door. She is sardonically parodying “Auld Lang Syne”, an ever popular song used to celebrate the new year, in a minor key and turning it into a dirge. This does nothing to help feelings in the temple.

Our brave heroes, sensing the crowd is bound to erupt at some point during the night, unceremoniously dump the lad at the feet of the first priest of Olladra they see, then continue on their way to the College of War.

Scene 3 – The College of War, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 2 am

Gabal’s school for evokers, the College of War, is a small campus guarded by four towers and a moat. The locals mockingly refer to it as “The Castle”.

The evokers are a key part of the City’s defences, so our heroes might have expected it to be a hive of activity, given the ongoing Ragesian attack.

Instead, it is deserted apart from a lone figure at the gate. The man wears blue robes, has a paunch and a receding hairline. He is carefully cupping a cigarette between his hands, and stamping his feet in an effort to keep warm.

Gribron wandered towards him.

“Evening mate, could I cadge a fag?”

The man smiles, and seems glad of the company. He hands over a cigarette and lights it for Gribron. “What brings you out on such a cold night?” he asks.

“Looking for a bunch of elves,” replies Gribron. “How about you. How come you’re standing at these gates in this weather?”

“Waiting for trouble,” replies the man. “In times of crisis people turn to Gabal and his evokers, but they’ve all done a bunk. They’ve put up with the mages swanning about during peace time, and now when they need them they are nowhere to be seen. I reckon our neighbours are going to turn nasty pretty soon.”

At this point Gribron belatedly realises who he is talking to. Diogenes, an enchanter who studies at the College of War for reasons no one can fathom, and whose relationship with the other students (almost all of whom are evokers) can best be described as mutual contempt.

“You’re Diogenes, right? Name’s Gribron.”

“Pleased to meet you Gribron. Hey, you must be Gribron the Sneaky, one of those ‘alley mages’ who gives the City Watch such a headache. How come you’re still here? Rumour is the City will be letting in the Inquisitors soon.”

“I’m working on a plan to escape. Anyway, I could ask you the same question.”

“Heck, there aren’t that many Inquisitors. I thought I’d stick around and give them a hard time.”

“Fair enough. You here on your own?”

Diogenes laughs. “No, I’ve got the charming Shealis to keep me company. I think she’s packing. At least, I hope she is. I can’t stand the snooty Elf bitch! If she hadn’t had all those visitors tonight, she’d probably have left already.”

“What sort of visitors?”

“Elves mainly, and that damn familiar of hers. I don’t see the point of a familiar at the best of times, let alone a glowing ball of light that just screams ‘shoot me’. “

“Did the Elves have a black metal case on them? And where did they go?”

“They might have done. I didn’t see. That big glowing target tends to distract me. Afterwards, the Elves headed off into the middle of the city, towards the ghetto, but the familiar went the other way, back the way they’d come from.”

The rest of the group, left out of the conversation, have nothing better to do than study their surroundings. One of the college’s towers has been cracked, presumably by a Ragesian bomb. The moat has a griffon and its rider floating in it, but its clear the missing students have looted the body on their way to wherever it is they’ve gone.

Caryk wandered up to Diogenes.

“Hi, do you mind if we come in and speak to Shealis?”

“Help yourself,” came the reply. “I’ll lead you to her room. I don’t think anything is going to happen here tonight, its late and its too darn cold.”

Shealis lives up to everybody’s expectations. She’s a beautiful, blond, blue-eyed elven woman dressed in red robes, and she is not in the least bit interested in Caryk’s inane politeness or Gribron’s blather. She is in the middle of packing, and eventually slams the door in their faces.

“Told you she was a bitch,” remarks Diogenes. “She hates my guts, as well. If you wanted to delay her, I could challenge her to a spell duel. It doesn’t matter how much of a rush she’s in, she can always find the time to kick my arse.”

“So can she defeat you?” asked Solsus.

Diogenes is surprised to be addressed by what he had assumed was Caryk’s ‘imaginary friend’. “She thinks she can, but she’s arrogant and predictable. I’ve got a trick or two up my sleeve and I think I can surprise her.”

“Can we help?” asks Caryk.

“Of course not,” replied Diogenes. “The spell duel has strict rules. Even though its late at night, the college is deserted, and you are probably going to be the only spectators, it would clearly be cheating if you were to wait until she has cast her best spells, then rush into the arena and grab her.”

“What a pity,” says Caryk, crestfallen.

It emerges that the arena is a circle sixty feet in diameter, surrounded by seating. Inside the arena, powerful wards ensure that all spell damage is non-lethal. The spectators are not so lucky.

Diogenes challenges Shealis to a duel, which she gladly accepts. She has finished packing, and has her valued possessions in her pack on her back. Solsus searches her room after she leaves, just to be on the safe side, but finds nothing of interest.

The combatants enter the arena, and the party spread themselves out on the seats behind Shealis’s end. She laughs scornfully at this. “You ought to be at Diogenes’s end. That’s where all the carnage is going to be.”

The spell duel is a cagey affair, with both combatants concentrating on negating their opponents’ spells rather than casting spells of their own. Diogenes vanishes behind a magical mist, and the bored spectators take this as their cue to attack Shealis.

Solsus hovers above her, and fires a sling bullet. He is surprised to discover that, despite being a wizard, she is wearing metal armour underneath her robes. Agatha, unfazed by armour, fires off an eldritch blast but the nimble wizard dodges.

Diogenes was last seen vanishing into his mist, so Shealis is surprised to hear his voice whisper from close behind her, “I’ve got the drop on you; surrender or die!” However, something about his choice of words doesn’t ring true, and Gribron’s illusion peters out when confronted by her disbelief. Similarly, whatever Jonathan attempted is shrugged off.

Caryk moves to help his friends, and his punch connects solidly with Shealis’s unarmoured face.

Spitting with rage, Shealis turns to her new attackers, and unleashes a fiery inferno. Cleverly, she has deduced the position of the invisible Solsus, but she is unprepared for his fey heritage and the spell fails in his vicinity.

Caryk and Agatha are not so lucky, consumed by the flames, they collapse to the ground. Fortunately for them, they are now inside the area of the arena’s warding effect, so are merely unconscious rather than dead.

Diogenes emerges from his protective mist, and strike his enemy with an arrow of acid. Jonathan follows up with a blast of power, and the elf is beaten.

Diogenes uses two of Shealis’s healing potions to revive Caryk and Agatha. He also claims her spellbook for himself, whilst the party take the rest of her items.

Flicking through her spellbook, Diogenes can be heard muttering “Evocation spell. Another evocation. What’s next. Oh, guess what, evocation. No use to me .. hullo, what’s that?”

A piece of paper has fallen from the spell book.

Jonathan investigates it. It appears to be a map of part of the Elven ghetto, with a carpenter’s shop highlighted. There is also a note, in Elvish “Arborea before Elysium before Celestia.”

The note means nothing to the rest of the party, but Jonathan’s eyes briefly glow blue as he calls upon his talented memory.

“Arborea, Elysium and Celestia are part of the Great Wheel,” he says, “an explanation early philosophers came up with to explain the nature of the universe before the real planes and their actual characteristics became known. They envisaged three competing realms of goodness, each with a set level of law or chaos, and arbitrarily allocated the various types of celestial between them.

“Of course, modern thinkers realise it’s a lot more complicated than that. Archons come from Irian, the Eternal Day, and Savareth the Battleground. Angels come from Syrani, the Azure Sky. Eladrin hail from Thelanis, the Faerie Court and guardinals come from Lamannia, the Twilight Forest. I can see where the attraction of the idea of Wheel came from, with its three planes of absolute good, as opposed to the ambiguity of the real world.”

“So it’s a fairy story,” said Gribron.

“No,” replied Jonathan. “It’s a code of some sort.”

“Code or not, its very late and I need to rest,” says Gribron.

“How about the temple, the resistance safe house?” says Caryk.

“No thanks, that place seemed far too volatile, and I need my beauty sleep” replies Gribron.

“Why don’t we spend the night in the house of that lad we rescued?” suggests Solsus.

Everyone agrees this is a great idea, apart from Caryk.

“Fine then,” says Caryk. “I’ll meet you in the morning outside the temple, and then we can head to the elf ghetto and see if the case is there.”

Caryk heads off back to the temple. On the way out, he mentions to Diogenes that, if he needs any help in causing problems to the inquisitors, the temple is a meeting place for those with similar views.

He fails to notice Shealis, still unconscious, has been tied up and left in the kitchen. A sign around her neck has the word “Wizard” written on it in Jonathan Farrier’s handwriting.

Interlude – the Temple of Olladra, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 3 am

Trudging into the temple, Caryk notices that the half elf is still playing dour songs.

“I don’t think your choice of music is helping the situation,” he says to her.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she replies sarcastically. “I left all my happy tunes in my house, and unfortunately it burned down.”

It is not long before a fight breaks out. A pair of youths suddenly and irrationally decide to blame a half orc woman for the entire Ragesian invasion. Caryk tries to intimidate them into backing down without a fight, but fails miserably.

He interposes himself between the youths and their victim. The sight of the tortle, protected by his thick shell and bristling with weapons, makes them pause.

At this point the head priest, Buron, spots the altercation and harangues the youths. Shamefaced, they disappear back into the crowd.

“Caryk, isn’t it?” says the priest. “I’m Buron, head of the temple here.”

“Pleased to meet you,” replies Caryk. “I’ve been trying to stop that half elf from playing her music. Its making a bad situation much worse. Is there anything you can do?”

“Hm,” responds the priest. “I see what you mean.” He strides off towards the musician.

“Mulysa,” he says,” that’s enough of your depressing tunes.”

She turns to him belligerently, a cutting remark on the tip of her tongue. Before she can say anything, he snatches her guitar from her and dashes it to pieces on the temple floor. Then he heads back to Caryk and offers him a bed in the hidden cellar, sometimes used by the resistance as a safe house.

“No thanks,” replies Caryk. “I’ll sleep up here in case there’s any more trouble I need to get you to deal with.”

[Second session ends with the other players moaning that Caryk got some extra XP for the above interlude. I deflect the blame onto Ryan Nock.]

Last edited:

Flashback
Forest of Ycengled, nominally part of the Shining Land of Shahalesti
December 3rd

“Go away, Solsus,” said Moth. “Can’t you see we’re busy?”

“But I wanted to ask you two something,” replied Solsus.

“For pity’s sake Solsus, you’ve made me lose count now!” said Mustardseed. “We’ll have to start all over again.”

“This is important,” replied Solsus.

“If its important,” said Moth, “then its not for the likes of us. Take it to the Queen!”

“Good idea,” echoed his brother Mustardseed. “It’s the Queen who deals with important things. Off you go and see her. Make sure you barge straight in and disturb her, just like you did to us.”

Solsus gravely thanked the brothers for their advice and set off to see the Queen.

“There’s another dandelion over there,” announced Moth. “This time, you blow and I’ll count.”

Titania, Queen of the Seelie Court, was admiring her reflection in a pool of water, as her attendants draped flowers in her hair. Her assembled court were trying to outdo one another in the effusiveness of their compliments. There was a collective groan as Solsus appeared in front of them.

“Your frowning countenance is not wanted here,” said Puck, the Queen’s current paramour.

Solsus ignored him, and bowed to the Queen. “I have an important request, Your Majesty.”

“A request? Important? The sun is shining, the breeze is soft and gentle, the birds are singing. What could be more important than that?” replied the Queen.

“Your Majesty, the world is in turmoil, and I have had strange dreams that lead me to believe things are going to get a lot worse. I feel the time is right for us to leave our frivolous lives in the forest, and go forth into the world and use our powers to battle the forces of darkness.”

Most of the members of the court recoiled in horror from his words. A few of the kinder hearted ones looked at Solsus with pity. “Poor thing,” whispered one. “He looks so serious. It can’t be healthy. If only he hadn’t wandered so far into the forbidden parts of the forest.”

“He used to be so happy go lucky,” replied another. “He had no sense of responsibility. Tragically, it was that very virtue which led him to ignore the warnings. Better he’d never come out of the forbidden forest, rather than emerge so warped and unnatural.”

Puck sensed the Queen’s distress and intervened again. “You miserable creature, how dare you speak to Her Majesty that way! If you must have these cares and responsibilities, at least have the courtesy to keep them to yourself!”

“Peace, Puck,” said the Queen. “Its not this poor creature’s fault. Try and resist his influence, and recover your good spirits.”

Turning to Solsus, she said, “It is not in our nature to take on responsibility or worry about mortal concerns. Our realm is here, and here we stay.”

“Then send me, Your Majesty! I cannot stand this constant frivolity. Give me a Quest and send me out into the world.”

The Queen thought for a moment. “Very well. Solsus, I give you this Quest. Travel to the Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar, find out the cause of its unnatural burning, and extinguish the flames.”

“And don’t come back until you have succeeded,” added Puck, nastily.

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” said Solsus. “I pledge, on my honour, I will succeed at this Quest or die in the attempt.”

Act 2 – Retrieving the Case (continued)
Scene 4 - The Streets, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 8 am

The others meet Caryk outside the Temple of Olladra, and are surprised to see he is accompanied by a creature looks something like a cross between a lioness and a human female. She is wearing a chain shirt, and a longsword hangs at her side. Another unlikely looking magic user.

“This is Ambar,” said Caryk, making introductions. She has some information regarding the elves. She’ll share it with us if we help her escape from the city.”

“What kind of information?” asks Jonathan.

“I don’t know. I thought it would be easier if she told us all at the same time,” replies Caryk.

Ambar seems a bit nervous at addressing such a disparate bunch of people. “Late yesterday evening, I saw a group of elves head towards the elf ghetto. They were carrying a heavy metal case.”

“That’s all you know?” snorts Caryk. “We know more than that ourselves. We know they were heading for a carpenter’s shop in the ghetto. Still, a deal is a deal, so you can tag along with us. Once we get that case back we’ll be heading out of the city.”

“Right, let’s head for the elves’ grotto,” says Gribron.

“It’s a ghetto, not a grotto, you idiot!” says Jonathan.

Our heroes head east along Emelk Way, through the gate and into the next district, bickering as they go. Even sharp eyed Caryk fails to spot that once again they are being followed by a suspicious looking bird.

The elf ghetto is easy to spot, as it is surrounded by a twenty foot high wooden wall, decorated with carvings of mythical creatures. There do not appear to be any gates in the wall.

Solsus flies up to see if there are any gates which are obvious from the inside. He notes that the ghetto has suffered some fire damage, but not much, and that there are elf children playing in the streets. Any gates are as well disguised on the inside as they are on the outside.

“Did you see anything?” asks Agatha when he returns.

“You can see him?” queries Gribron.

“Yeah, he’s over there.”

“I couldn’t find any gates,” says Solsus. “Of course, I can just fly in.”

“I could climb over the wall easily enough,” says Agatha. “But the elves might take exception to that.”

Gribron decides to ask passers by if they know of any entrances. The second person he asks is able to point out roughly where he’d sometimes seen elves come out, and Gribron is able to find the secret door, and the mechanism to open it. It appears this is not what the coded note they took from Shealis was referring to.

Solsus flies up again, and notes a clear area the other side of the door. Then he comes back down.

“There are children playing in the streets. They might see you as you go through the gate. Do you want me to distract them?”

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” says Caryk. “Why don’t you fly up and see if anyone spots our entrance.”

“Okay, I’ll wave if anything happens,” says Solsus, then stops himself. “No, that won’t work, as you can’t see me.”

“I can see you,” says Agatha.

Solsus blushes, and flies quickly away.

“Can you really see him?” asks Gribron. “What’s he doing now?”

“He’s putting his trousers on,” replies Agatha matter-of-factly. “Its just as well we didn’t get him to distract the children.”

Scene 5 – The Elf Ghetto, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 9 am

Gribron eases open the secret door, then allows Caryk to go first into the ghetto. Per Shealis’s map, the carpenter’s shop is somewhere in the north east corner, so that’s where they head.

They receive a few unfriendly stares, but no one challenges them. “These elves must be akin to wasps, or is it bees?” says Caryk. “Once you are inside their nest they assume you are supposed to be there, and they don’t bother you.”

The carpenter’s shop, when they reach it, is bizarre. Its “front door” and “windows” have simply been painted on. However, it is more than just an empty box because smoke is rising from the chimney. Solsus spots the real entrance, a side door painted (of course!) to look like bricks. There is a rat rooting around in the alley way, but it scurries away when Ambar approaches it hungrily.

This door has a carving of a winged woman with a trumpet, a muscular man with a lion’s head, and an armoured woman with a gleaming greatsword. Jonathan’s eyes turn blue for a second. “Archon, Leonal and Eladrin,” he says. “Per Shealis’s note, we need to press the Eladrin (Arborea), then the Leonal (Elysium) and finally the Archon (Celestia).” He sounds supremely confident in his knowledge, but for some reason allows Gribron the honour of testing out the theory. He may be influenced by Gribron’s discovery that the door comes complete with a poison needle trap.

Gribron follows Jonathan’s advice, and opens the door without incident. The downstairs floor is just one room, with a staircase leading upwards. A trio of golden furred badgers look up as Gribron enters, and snarl at him. Unperturbed, Gribron pulls some coloured sand out of his pouch and gestures at the badges. A vivid cone of clashing colours springs forth from his hand, engulfing the creatures. Two of them collapse under the sensory assault, but the third shrugs it off and rushes forwards.

Jonathan enters the room behind Gribron, and stops the badger in its tracks with a fiery burst of energy. An acrid, burning smell fouls the air.

Agatha, Ambar and Solsus try to put the unconscious badgers out of their misery, but even in this helpless state the tough beasts are hard to kill. Meanwhile, Caryk clomps up the stairs to investigate the upper floor.

He find three elves are waiting for him. Two of them fire arrows at him; one shot bounces off his tough hide, but the other buries itself in his shoulder. Then the third elf steps forward, and slashes Caryk’s other shoulder with his longsword.

Seeing the tortle’s plight, Solsus flies up the stairs and tries to touch him with some healing magic. Unfortunately, just as he does so Caryk moves to attack the sword wielding elf, and Solsus fails to make enough contact to trigger the spell. Caryk’s attempt to punch the elf likewise ends in failure.

Gribron moves up behind Caryk, and reproduces the spell he used to such good effect on the badgers. Caryk is within the spell’s area, but manages to close his eyes in time and suffers no ill effects. However, he elects to feign injury, and deliberately slumps to the floor. He is accompanied to the floor by the elf he was fighting, who has been knocked unconscious by Gribron’s potent magic. The two archers instinctively close their eyes during the extra second it takes the cone of colours to reach them, and the spell has no effect on them. Gribron has a fair bit of knowledge about the city, and recognises that these are Shahalesti elves, rather than locals.

Jonathan is next up the stairs. Flinging back his hood, he glowers at the elves. “Cower, brief mortals,” he booms. One of the long-lived elves is amused by such a demand from what appears to be a human, but Jonathan’s words appear to strike a chord with his partner, who looks visibly shaken.

The crowded stairway does not faze Agatha. She simply walks along the wall instead, and looses a blast of eldritch energy at one of the elves. It staggers, but remains standing. She hears the sound of Ambar casting a spell, and Ambar then climbs up the stairs to stand behind Gribron.

One of the elves drops his bow, and draws his sword. His partner, still shaken, looses off an arrow at Gribron. It hits, more by luck than judgement. Gribron tries to cast an enchantment on the other elf, but elves are resistant to such magics and it has no effect. Deciding discretion is the better part of valour, Gribron squeezes back past Ambar. The elf with the sword sees his opportunity, but his swing goes wide.

Jonathan moves past Ambar and Gribron, and strikes the elf with his staff. The blow connects, and the already wounded elf collapses. Caryk, seeing the immediate danger has passed, climbs to his feet and closes with the remaining elf.

The sole surviving elf drops his bow, moves to draw his longsword, then thinks better of it. “I surrender,” he says.

“We accept,” says Caryk. “Be merciful,” he says to his comrades. Solsus moves in and takes the elf’s remaining weapons.

Surprisingly, the elf then collapses to the floor. Blood is flowing from his ears and nose, and he is clearly dead. Everyone turns to look at Jonathan. “He must have been more badly injured than it first appeared,” says Jonathan casually. “Anyway, the one Gribron floored with his spell is still alive. Let’s tie him up before he recovers consciousness.”

The party search the room while they wait for their prisoner to come round. They find an unlocked chest containing exactly a hundred platinum pieces, but no other treasure. They also find a metal case. It has no obvious lock, but will not open. There’s clearly a spell of some sort on it, but none of the group are able to determine its nature.

There is also a set of brand new carpenter’s tools. Jonathan claims them for himself, then looks them thoughtfully. Moving towards the nearest dead elf, he uses the tools to carry out a crude autopsy, while his companions look on with growing disquiet.

“If you want to live forever, its important to find out as much as you can about the body’s workings,” says Jonathan. At some point during the second autopsy the remaining elf wakes up. Jonathan refuses to be hurried, and only moves on to questioning the prisoner when the operation is complete.

“What’s in the case?” he asks casually.

The elf seems willing to co-operate. “I’m not really sure. Plans for some sort of weapon, apparently.”

“How do you open it?”

“No idea.”

“Why did you steal it from the resistance?”

The elf looks at him in a condescending manner. “You do know where you are, right? This is Gate Pass, where the Empire, the Shining Land and the Resistance all meet. Everyone spies on everybody else. The case looked valuable, we saw a chance to take it, so we did. Its all part of the Great Game.”

The party leave him tied up, and set off in search of the enchanter Diogenes. Perhaps he can help them open the case.

Scene 6 – The College of War (again), Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 11 am

Earlier, Caryk had suggested to Diogenes that he take shelter in the Temple of Olladra. However, he is not there so the party head for the College of War.

When they get there, they realise an angry crowd has gathered at the gates. The people are upset that the evokers of the “so-called College of War” have disappeared, abandoning the city in its hour of need. The party, none of whom look much like wizards, mingle with the crowd.

Diogenes emerges from the College, sits down by the gates, and calmly lights a cigarette. “I understand your concerns,” he says conversationally. The crowd have to quieten down in order to hear what he is saying. “Gabal and the evokers are a bunch of cowards.” Then he spots the distinctive figure of Caryk. “I’ll speak to a delegation from the crowd,” he says. “How about you,” he points at Caryk, “and you others.” He points at the rest of the group.

Once safely back indoors, Caryk shows Diogenes the case. “Its arcane locked,” says the enchanter.

“That’s obvious,” retorts Gribron. “What we want to know if the name of the spell that’s locking it.”

“Arcane lock is the name of the spell,” says Diogenes patiently. “And it was cast by a powerful mage.”

“So is there any way of opening it?” asks Caryk.

“Not unless you throw it off the top of a tall building a couple of times,” replies Diogenes.

The party don’t think much of that plan. “Then I guess we’ve done as much as we can,” says Caryk, “and all that remains for us to do is to transport the case to the Resistance in Seaquen. Do you know of any way out of the city, Diogenes?”

“Personally, I’m going to stay here and give the inquisitors something to worry about,” he replies. “I suggest you go and see Councillor Erdan Menash. He might be able to help.”

“Good idea,” says Caryk. “Torrent mentioned him. He’s the Resistance’s contact on the council.”

The Ragesians won’t have any trouble dealing with the Resistance members in Gate Pass, thinks Solsus, since everybody seems to know who they are.

Act 3 – Escaping the City
Scene 1 – Erdan’s Mansion, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 12 pm

Councillor Erdan’s mansion is east of the ghetto, not far from the 90 foot high statue of the Emperor. The outer walls are painted a delightful mix of green, yellow and purple, and the disgruntled gate guards are forced to wear tabards of the same colours.

Erdan is at a council meeting when the party arrives, so the guards ask them to wait in the grounds. Erdan returns home soon afterwards, and is surprised to have guests. He quickly recovers his composure, and is soon showing them his collection of exotic and unlikely weaponry, whilst bemoaning the fact that the new year celebrations have been cancelled.

“I have a massive bear mask I was going to put on the Emperor’s statue,” he complains, “but goodness knows what I am going to do with it now.”

[Third session ends, and nobody asks about XP. I can’t decide if that’s a good sign or a bad sign. For what its worth, there were only supposed to be two elves in the carpenter’s shop, but since the party is now up to six(!) members, I added a third. This means that I’ll have to calculate the EL myself, and the whole point of using a published adventure was so I wouldn’t have to!]

Last edited:

walker_saint

First Post
Wow,

This is really good, and a scarily accurate description of the stupid things we say and do as this (or any) party!

Although I have noticed a tendency of Caryk (me, to those who don't know) to be a lot smarter and wiser when I have to leave early!!!

I'm still stuck in that marvelous limbo like existence of being the main fighter (a monk!), with a reasonable AC (18) and a paladin like zeal to protecting my friends (Sacred Vow)... so, i can't hit for toffee (very rarely roll above 5!), can't do a lot of damage when I do (not including that one crit with a handaxe), and the DM's normal ability to roll a sum below 5 on 3 d20's seems to be cancelled out by mine and 18s are often seen!!!

Still... i've got 2 of my next 3 character concepts close to ready... just need to iron out some of the details... before I revise them to the point of incomprehensibility then give up as per usual!!!

Fourth session last night. I'll write it us as soon as I get the chance.

I'm going to enjoy describing that debacle. Virtually a TPK .....

The party find it surprisingly easy to convince Erdan that they are members of the Resistance. They don’t realise he already knows a fair bit about them already. He chats to them about the most exciting incident of the siege so far – the arrival of the red dragon, and the heroism of a druid (in giant eagle form) and the flight of Gryphon riders who drove it away. The wave of fear the heroes felt yesterday evening is now explained.

Erdan happily buys the various items of equipment the party have acquired over the past day or so. He is equally happy to sell them several of his “special items” – extremely well made weapons and armour, far superior on quality to they currently have. Unfortunately, most of his stock is dyed in his signature green, yellow and purple ….

Once trading has finished, Erdan agrees to help them get out of the city. He suggests they visit a friend of his, Captain Herreman, who is scheduled to lead a patrol outside the city walls at sunset. Erdan writes Herreman a note asking him to include the heroes as part of his patrol, then return without them through a different gate.

At this point Gribron, Agatha and Ambar all realise that they need to spend some time sorting out a few personal matters before they can leave the city. Caryk, Jonathan and Solsus head for the barracks to meet the Captain.

Scene 2 - The Streets, Free City of Gate Pass
January 1st, 1 pm

Its not long before Solsus spots something odd is happening.

“That group of six town guards, behind us, seem to be following us,” says his disembodied voice.

Caryk glances over his shell. “You’re right. And they don’t look much like guards to me, either. Since when do town guard patrols wear such an ill matched assortment of scalemail? Also, I don’t recall seeing any guards carrying saps before.”

He turns towards the ‘guards’. “What do you want?”

“Halt,” says the lead guard. “You are under arrest on suspicion of being mages. You must come with us.”

“I’m not a mage, I’m a tortle. And Jonathan is a simple scholar.”

“Nevertheless,” replies the guard. “You must …”

“Oh, never mind,” says Caryk and aims a blow at the nearest guard. Solsus’s eagle screams in and attacks another, who also suffers the indignity of being struck on the head by what feels like a cobblestone – although whoever threw it is not in view.

At the same time, Jonathan throws back his hood and booms his catchphrase, “Cower brief mortals!”

Is mental assault leaves four of the guards with fear, but the other two are made of sterner stuff and are unmoved. The guards draw their swords and strike out at the eagle, hitting it several times. They succeed in driving it away, and then advance gingerly towards Jonathan and Caryk.

Caryk draws his quarterstaff, and swings it in both hands towards the nearest guard. Unfortunately for him, the guard blocks the blow with his shield.

It turns into a disorganised melee, with Caryk whirling his staff like a dervish, Solsus circling looking for an opening for a sling shot, and Jonathan seeking to fry the brains of the frightened guards. Two fall to the power of Jonathan’s mind, but the rest have the weight of numbers on their side and their sharp swords are far too close to Jonathan’s tender flesh for comfort.

“I think we might be in a spot of trouble here,” says Caryk.

At that moment a tall figure emerges from a nearby alleyway. “That sounds like my cue,” he says in a deep voice, and moves gracefully towards the nearest guard, smoothly drawing a massive greatsword as he does so. The blow he aims has more style than substance, but the guard is completely nonplussed by the new arrival, and clumsily dodges into the swords path. It is his last mistake.

The other guards are also distracted, and another of Jonathan’s mental blows strikes home. A guard drops, clutching his head.

“Now its three against two, and the odds are in our favour for once,” says Caryk.

“Four against two,” squeaks an indignant Solsus.

“Oh, sorry mate. Forgot about you,” replies Caryk. “It must be because you are aaaarggh!!!” A tiny humanoid, fluttering on leathery, bat-like wings, appears next to Caryk, its barbed tail stuck in the fleshy part of Caryk’s leg. A numb sensation starts to spread out from the wound, but adrenaline allows him to ignore the effects – at least for the time being …..

The little monster makes a grab for the adamantine case, but Caryk retains enough presence of mind to keep it out of his reach.

It has dawned on the two false guards that whatever plan they originally had has now been overtaken by events. They decide to retreat. A greatsword flashes down in the spot just vacated by one of the guards, who breathes a sigh of relief as he sprints down the street. His comrade is not so lucky, running straight into the path of a sling bullet and crumpling into a heap.

The sole surviving guard hurtles around the corner, and nearly flattens a startled Gribron and Agatha. “I wonder what spooked him?” says Agatha. “Everything seems so peaceful for once.” The pair continue ambling along in the direction the man came from.

Meanwhile, Caryk grunts as the monster stings him again. He is having trouble keeping the case out of the creature’s grasp, and is decides he needs to deal with the little pest as quickly as possible. “Maybe I can stun it,” he thinks, and swings his head towards it in a sophisticated martial arts technique known as the “East Wind’s Kiss”. Unfortunately, his twice-injured leg buckles slightly at this point, and his aim is just off.

However, he has three allies and the monster is now alone. Solsus decides the time has come to kick some monster backside. He pulls out his most aerodynamically efficient sling bullet, whirls his sling as hard as he can, and releases his missile of doom. The metal shot strikes the creature hard and true in the chest – and then drops tamely to the ground Its as if all the momentum has been sucked out of the blow by the contact with the monster’s otherworldly flesh.

“Fools! I am a veteran of the wars of Shavarath, Plane of Battle. I cannot be defeated by your puny mortal weapons.”

“I need no weapons in order to kill,” responds Jonathan, sending a burst of mental energy towards the creature. This too has no effect.

“You’ll have to do a lot better than that, foolish hu … sorry, foolish mort … um, foolish biped!”

The monster is in fact an imp called Kurychek. It really wants the case. It has been stalking the party, in one guise or another, since they first headed for the Elven ghetto, and it is embarrassed that what originally appeared to be an opportune moment to intervene has now resulted in it single-handedly taking on four opponents.

“I really don’t fancy reporting this cock-up to Guthwulf,” it thinks. “He’d make me a laughing stock. Mortals would start summoning me just so they could make witty remarks at my expense.

“On the other hand, if this lot manage to kill me then it’s a one way ticket back to Shavarath. Normally that’s a good thing, but once word got around I croaked fighting four Sarlonnans, but only two of them had souls, then I’ll definitely be made to sit through all the ‘Balancing Risk Against Rewards’ lectures again. I might even have to re-sit the entire ‘Basic Contract Lore’ course, and usually that’s just for lemures.”

“Time for a decision. No pain, no fun. That wrinkly old reptile thing can barely stand. One more jab with the trusty old stinger, he falls down, I grab the case, turn invisible, fly off back to Guthwulf with the goods, mission accomplished. The rest of this shower have only got a couple of seconds to intervene, and so far they ain’t even so much as scratched me.”

The imp stabs at Caryk’s leg with his sting. There’s no way Caryk is going to fall for the same tactic three times in a row, and he manages to hop out of the way. The mysterious stranger adjusts his stance to take into account Kurychek’s new position, and his greatsword removes the imp’s head.

“No one would ever call my weapon puny,” he sniggers.

At this point Gribron and Agatha stroll onto the scene. Agatha spots the five dead ‘city guards’ and the decapitated imp. “Oh,” she says.

Meanwhile, Gribron has spotted the stranger, who is carefully wiping the blood of his greatsword. The man is has a chain shirt, a goatee and a smirk.

“Rantle!” says Gribron. “How are you doing? Haven’t seen you in a while.” He does his best to look cool in the presence of a man who is simultaneously a local folk hero and a leading light of the thieves’ guild.

“Hi Gribron,” replies Rantle. “I’ve been busy doing this and that, you know how it is.” The two of them start looting the corpses.

“I feel funny,” says Caryk.

“That’ll be the poison from the imp’s stinger,” replies Jonathan. “It causes numbness, paralysis, and sometimes even death. I’ve never seen it outside of laboratory conditions. Do you mind if I inspect your wounds?”

“Feel free,” says Caryk, teeth gritted against the pain.

Jonathan pulls out some of the tools he took from the carpenter’s shop. “Lucky I’ve got my autopsy kit with me.” After a bit of poking around, he holds up a vial in the sunlight. “I think I’ve got enough to study, but if any more pus oozes out from your leg, please do me a favour and keep it for me.”

Surprisingly, Caryk is feeling better. He wanders over to the naked body of the imp, which the canny treasure hunters have left for last, and spots it has a ring on a chain around its neck. The ring is made of iron, and has the letter ‘G’ inscribed on it.

“Who do we know whose name starts with a G?” wonders Caryk. “Hang on a minute. Gribron, where were you earlier?”

Gribron denies summoning an imp to attack Caryk, and then the tortle belatedly remembers his manners. He turns to Rantle.

“Thank you sir, for intervening when you did. It was lucky you were there to rescue us.”

“Not really luck,” replies Rantle. “I’ve been following you for a while. The word on the street is that you guys are planning to head to Seaquen. That’s where my sister is going, and I wanted to ask you to deliver a message to her from me.”

“Certainly, that’s the least we can do,” replies Caryk.

“Thanks,” says Rantle, handing over a sealed scroll. “If you should see her, either in Seaquen or on the way there, please give her this. She’s a fire mage. Accidentally burnt down a few of our homes over the years. Decided leaving the city would be good for her health. You’ll know her if you see her. Long red hair, likes wearing red robes, everything about her says fire mage. Its embarrassing really.

“Anyway, nice meeting you all. Can’t stop to chat. Got a city to save!” With one last grin, Rantle heads off down a nearby alley.

Our heroes decide that the best course of action is to return to the councillor’s house and sell their latest loot.

Then, battered and bruised, they head for the temple of Olladra in order to avail themselves of what limited healing the over-worked clerics can provide. Solsus is disappointed to learn that the clerics do not consider healing his eagle to be a priority. The party spends the rest of the day and all of the night hiding in the cellar.

Scene 3 – Herreman’s Barracks, Free City of Gate Pass
January 2nd, 8 am

Captain Herreman turns out to be a half orc, whose bushy beard cannot hide his tusks. He is happy to help friends of his old employer, Councillor Menash. He still has the dagger Menash gave him the last time he went on an expedition; it is bright yellow and shaped like a partly peeled banana.

He glosses over the fact that the councillor’s note is dated yesterday. Timetables are prone to slip during wartime.

The heroes are restless at having to wait until sunset before joining Herreman’s patrol, and spend the time wandering the district’s streets looking for trouble. However, things are eerily quiet, and the day passes without incident. Ambar never turns up, so the party decides to leave without her.

Scene 4 – The Forest Road, Outside the Free City of Gate Pass
January 2nd, 9 pm

It is getting dark, and our heroes decide to camp for the night.

Getting out of the city proved fairly straightforward in the end. Captain Herreman disguised the adventurers as members of his patrol, and they marched brazenly out of the city gate. Herreman explained to the gate guards that his patrol was seeking a Ragesian necromancer, who had been plundering graveyards in order to bolster the Ragesian Second Army.

Caryk was slightly disappointed to learn Herreman had invented the necromancer, and they wouldn’t actually be tracking him down.

As the heroes exited the city, a lone bell started ringing off to the west.

“That signal means they are letting the inquisitors into the city,” said Herreman gloomily.

“At least we are safely outside,” replied Gribron.

Act 4 - the Gauntlet
Scene 1 – The Forest Road, Outside the Free City of Gate Pass

January 3rd , 11 am

The forest road runs for thirty miles before it reaches the indomitable Fire Forest of Innendotdar. There are a few people living in the region, so the road sees some local traffic, but the forest is viewed as an impenetrable barrier so there is no passing trade.

Thanks to their disguise as members of Herreman’s patrol, the heroes (except Solsus) have light warhorses, and they make good time along the road. The road itself is the only convenient route for travel; the terrain on either side is rugged and the road is bordered by cliff walls which rise forty or more feet in the air. It’s a good spot for an ambush.

Caryk and Solsus spot movement up ahead. A couple of shadowy humanoid figures, high up on the cliff to the right of the road, have darted back into the undergrowth.

Solsus flies off to investigate, while Caryk dramatically falls off his horse.

“Ow, ow, ow,” says Caryk. “I have just fallen off my horse. The fall has winded me, and I may have twisted my ankle. Let us rest here for a moment while I get my breath back.” The horse seems, if anything, relieved to be rid of his clumsy rider.

“You useless friggin’ tortle,” says Agatha, playing along (maybe).

Solsus spots the humanoid figures from the air. They are humans. They have crossbows slung across their backs, but have no weapons drawn. Secure in their hiding place, they can neither see nor be seen from the road.

Moving further down the road, Solsus spots a side passage, clumsily camouflaged by a pile of rubble. Three horsemen are waiting behind the rubble, and it seems to Solsus that a skilled rider could get his mount over the obstruction and on to the road.

He flies back to the others, and the party quickly concocts a plan. It never occurs to anyone to bemoan the absence of Torrent and her trusty wand of cure light wounds.

No-one feels comfortable fighting form horseback, so the horses are quickly hobbled. Solus moves into position above the enemy horsemen, and Gribron creates an illusion of the party, on horseback, moving along the road. The illusion lacks the appropriate sound effects, but if all goes according to plan that won’t be an issue.

Once the illusion arrives opposite the enemy horsemen, Jonathan hurls a thunderstone at it. His throw falls short, but that isn’t the point of the exercise.

Startled by the loud bang, the two human scouts poke their heads out from cover. One of them is amazed to see the party has somehow managed to sneak past their position, and reaches into his pouch to throw a thunderstone in order to signal the horsemen to attack. Gradually it occurs to him that the bang he has just heard will do the job equally well, and elects instead to blow a loud blast on the horn hanging around his neck.

His partner is more alert, and spots the real party lurking some thirty feet back down the road. He whips out his crossbow, and more by luck than judgement his bolt hits Agatha.

Hearing what they believe to be the signal, two of the horsemen spur their steeds across the rubble. This is what Solsus has been waiting for, and he drops a thunderstone on top of them. The horsemen do well to control their mounts under such conditions, and engage Gribron’s illusion in hand to hand.

The third rider, better equipped than the rest, hangs back, and fires an arrow at the illusionary Caryk. His aim is true, but the arrow passes straight through its target. Realising his men are fighting an illusion, the man shouts a warning – but they are suffering from the effects of Solsus’s thunderstone, and his words literally fall on deaf ears.

Caryk hurls a javelin at the man who shot Agatha. Agatha, looking for revenge, walks up the side of the cliff and launches an eldritch blast at the same target. Their victim is badly injured, but still on his feet. His comrade helps him back from his exposed position on the edge of the cliff – and both of them are suddenly attacked by an eagle which hurls itself at them out of the sky.

Solus hits the mounted archer with a well aimed sling stone. The man guides his horse carefully into the road and scans the sky for his hidden opponent, but to no avail.

One of the horsemen slashing at Gribron’s illusion suddenly realises he has been tricked. Looking around for the guilty mage, he spots Gribron some distance down the road and charges towards him. Gribron is struck by the rider’s sword, but manages to maintain his concentration on the illusion, thereby keeping the other rider occupied.

Another rider appears around a bend in the road. This man is wearing plate armour, and seems oddly familiar. Some of the party recognise him as the leader of the bounty hunters who attacked them in the Poison Apple Pub on New Year’s Eve.

Gribron decides to drop his illusion spell, and launches a blast of coloured rays at the horseman facing him. The man is able to cover his eyes in time to avoid the effect, but his horse collapses to the ground, spilling the rider.

Always happy to kick a man when he’s down, Jonathan fires a blast of lightning at the unhorsed man, ending all of his problems.

Meanwhile, the eagle and the uninjured scout fight an inconclusive battle on the cliff top. The other scout, badly injured but grateful for his partner’s bravery, takes the opportunity to flee.

More stones rain down on the mounted archer’s head, but he ignores them and fires two well aimed shots at Gribron. Both arrows strike home almost simultaneously, and Gribron collapses, badly injured.

Already freed from the illusion, the other horseman gain confidence from the appearance of his heavily armoured comrade. The two of them charge towards Caryk, who goes down under their combined attack. Agatha, still half way up the cliff wall, tries to blast the horsemen but her aim is poor.

Jonathan senses something unusual about the armoured rider. The air is shimmering in front of him, almost as if he had called upon the power of his mind to create a screen of force to protect himself from physical attacks. Shrugging, Jonathan aims a bolt of lighting at the rider; he can’t miss a target encased in so much metal, but the man is tough in enough to remain in the saddle.

Caryk, down but not out, crawls over to the fallen Gribron and fumbles around in his pack for a healing potion. He is dismayed to see a couple more crossbowmen have appeared around the bend in the road. “How many of these guys are there?” he wonders. He carefully pours the potion into Gribron’s mouth. Some of his comrade’s wounds heal, but he does not recover consciousness.

Jonathan and Agatha concentrate their attacks on the armoured rider, but they can’t bring him down. The man swings his greatsword in a mighty blow at Jonathan’s head. There seems to be no way the scholar can avoid being decapitated, but instinctively he gathers the last reserves of his mental energy and manages to absorb some of the force of the blow. Despite this, he still crumples to the ground, covered in blood. He’s not a pretty sight, but he’s still breathing – at least for the time being.

On the plus side, up on the cliff, Solsus’s eagle finally finishes off its opponent.

Solsus, sensing Jonathan has used up the last reserves of his power – or possibly just not liking the guy – elects to help Caryk instead. Calling on the power of nature, he boosts the tortle’s metabolism, dramatically speeding up his natural healing process and enabling him to get to his feet.

Seeing Caryk clamber to his feet, the crossbowmen knock him back down again with some well aimed bolts.

This leaves Agatha, the invisible Solsus, and his eagle, against three mounted opponents and three crossbowmen.

“Surrender, and I give my word you will not be harmed,” says the armoured man to Agatha.

“Screw you,” she replies, and fires one more eldritch blast at him. The blow strikes him in the temple, and he falls from his horse. Then, still not fancying the odds, she walks over the top of the cliff and out of sight.

The mounted archer rides over to the scene of the carnage, the crossbowmen trotting along behind him as best they can. He glances over the bodies with a practised eye.

“That one will live,” he says, pointing at Gribron. “I think the ugly one already fed him a potion.” He turns his attention to Caryk. “Officially there isn’t a bounty on this lump, but he seems to have some sort of magical healing ability – even now his wounds are closing slowly – so we might be able to get something for him.”

“This is the problem one,” he says, turning to Jonathan. He pulls a potion from his pouch and administers it to Jonathan. The scholar’s colour improves, but not by much. “Damn,” says the man.

“Is he dead, Renard?” asks one of the crossbowmen.

“No,” replies Renard, “but I’m gonna have to use up the other potion. What in the gods’ names was Kathor thinking of, swinging his dirty great sword at the guy’s head like that? We all know the inquisitors only pay for live mages, although it beats me what they want them for.”

He tosses a second potion to one of his men. “Tie him up, and then get him to drink this.”

“What about Kathor,” asks one of the men. “He’s still alive, but only just.”

“Thanks to him, I’ve already had to use up two healing potions. I’m not wasting any more on his mangy carcase. That damn aristocrat was never really one of us anyway.

“Besides, the bounty splits better five ways than it does six.”

Jonathan Farrier recovers consciousness at about the same time Kathor dies of his wounds. Possibly he is still delirious, but it seems to him that for a second the air grows heavy, and something barely visible drifts out of Kathor’s body and flies away into the sky.

Last edited:

Remove ads