Survival in a late stone-age / early bronze-age campaign

Arravis

First Post
With the release of 4th ed, our home campaign will be changing quite drastically. In honor of the campaign I'm leaving behind, I thought I would the bulk of the work available. I used the Athas.org documents as a basis and spent more hours then I care to admit editing and re-writing it until its current form. Anyway, here is the file for those interested. Comments welcome :):

Endless Desert DM's Campaign Guide
This document includes Classes, Skill Variants, Feats, Weapons, Armor, Mounts, Equipment, Environments, Plants, Monster list, Heat Dangers, Magic, NPCs, Timeline, and Maps

Anyway, for those interested it is a late stone-age, early-bronze age, extremely low-magic setting. Its essentially my version of the far, far past of Athas (Dark Sun). It has all the environmental harshness of Dark Sun, but with none of the power. No psionicists, no incredibly powerful mages, no giants, no dragons, no elves... just humans, sand, and the things that eat humans. The handful of casters can only cast spells per week, rather than per day. And if you're lucky enough to actually find a magical item... it'll constantly drain the life from you and anything else around you.

Although it probably sounds miserable to most of you, it actually has become the most fulfilling campaign I've ever run. When the players overcome obstacles, there is a sense of accomplishment that is unrivaled. Just getting from one village to another is a major task... the heat and sand are a constant enemy, finding your way there, having enough food and water, and overcoming whatever you might meet on the way is a heck of a task.

Almost all the "loot" found in the game is what the players have made and invented themselves out of the available resources, be it rocks and plants, or the carcasses of the monsters and animals they have felled. The constant battle for survival also means that those they travel with become extremely close, relationships and alliances between the PCs and NPCs get center stage. Even a meeting with bandits in the open desert can lead to alliances... since there is no magical healing and resources are so low, few dare to open violence. So what would end up being a bloody encounter in a normal game, can lead to alliances or uneasy truces in this one. They simply can't afford to go into battle willy-nilly.

So in this extreme environment, when the players do succeed in overcoming a main "villain" or other plot element, there is massive rush of emotion. The difficulty of it all was so high, that it feels like you've truly done the impossible. Done it with flint-spears and bone daggers, wearing leather you've made yourself.

P.S.: All the text in purple is for the DM's, the players get a version of this document without the purple text.
P.S.S: The chronology in the back details how this setting is related to the Forgotten Realms, and my own previous campaigns therein.

Last edited:

I'm running a stone age game in 4th edition, but I didn't want to house rule anything early on, so instead I'm encouraging PCs to come up with their own flavor, and I'm going to keep NPC magic very rare. But my stone age is more "the time when demons controlled the world, and men rose up to claim the world for themselves," so a bit more magic is fine with me. Every magic user needs a source for his power, though, and that source has to be tangible.

I can't use a lot of your rules, but I'll definitely give this a deeper read-through for flavor. Right now I'm very much not in a desert period, though, because the Desert Sky god El is currently flooding the world with storms for 40 days. But afterward things will get a little harsher. :)

Arravis

First Post
I'm just glad someone got the chance to look over the pdf :). I know it can be a little intimidating in size, but I think people will find alot of useful stuff in it.

RangrWickett:
Take a close look at the plant section, I found that the players really enjoyed exploring to find useful plants. It gave everyone something to do, even during down times like resting and such. And it also added a nice new layer to all encounters... not only did you have the creatures/npcs at a location, you could also had the detailed plant elements and such.

Remove ads