How to Run a One Shot

Stormborn

Explorer
Often the regular gaming group can't get together or the regular DM is tired or the group needs a change of pace or one of another of various things happens and the group decided to play a one shot. Having done this several times I tend to come away less satisfied with the process than even a game that last only 3 or 4 sessions, much less on going stuff. This is both as a player and a GM.

So, my question to everyone is: If you are running a one-shot what are you trying to accomplish? If you are playing in one what are you looking for?

I think that the best one shots are going to be story driven. That they are going to focus on telling the GM's story, as altered and lived out by the player's chocies. Clear Begining, Middle, and End. Clear sequences. More like a movie than an episodic TV Show, more like a short story than a novel.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
The following is a cut and paste from a post that I made in our NC Game Day thread regarding playtesting one-shot games:

Rel said:
I'm by no means an expert but I've got a few pointers:

- Try to have roughly the same number of people in the playtest that you'll have in your actual game. I know that this is a bit tricky because you won't know exactly how many participants you'll wind up with until closer to Game Day. I also recommend determining which of the PC's are "primary" and have abilities that you feel are essential and those which are "secondary" and are not absolutely required for the adventure to be fun and successful.

- Keep an eye out for any areas where the game drags at all. Due to time constraints and the general nature of the Game Day environment, you want to keep things moving at all times. Places to pay special attention to would be any unusual rules situations (like an enemy that uses an obscure spell or makes some sort of special attacks), NPC interactions and any place where the plot branches or requires the PC's to "find a clue" before moving on. Also, try not to have the ongoing adventure hinge on a singly event taking place. If the PC's only have to make a single, DC 10 Tracking roll to follow the baddies to their hideout, they either won't think of it or will roll a natural 1. Never fails.

- If I'm not sure how many players I'm going to have, I find it easier to scale a combat that includes a lot of mooks and mid-range bad guys rather than a single big bad guy. I can always leave out some of the mooks but it is tricker to nerf the big-bad if I wind up with fewer players than what I'd anticipated (and even if your game fills completely up it is possible that you'll have somebody be tardy or no-show). Same principal applies to ramping up the encounter if you have a couple walk-ins at the last minute.

- Styles will differ and this is not gospel, but I try to make sure that the encounters early in the adventure will not likely kill off a PC or that I have some kind of backup plan if they do take a casualty. It really stinks to have your character killed off 45 minutes into the session and be left with little to do for the remainder (though, thanks to our partnership with Trinocon, there are always board games and such going on). I try to design encounters early in the adventure that let the players "warm up" a bit to the abilities of the PC's you've given them, without requiring that they play flawlessly and use every ability optimally in order to be successful. Save the encounter likely to kill some of them off for the big climax near the end.

If there is a PC death, I try to have some sort of backup plan like an NPC they can take over, resurrection or something like that. In my last Orcz adventure, one of the PC's had a pouch of "Zombie Powder" that would bring a PC back to "unlife" with all their former abilities for a number of hours equal to their Con. After that they became a mindless normal zombie. This gave me a safety valve in case of a death but still had some consequenes.

- As Henry mentioned earlier, try to have a "throw away" encounter that you can leave in or take out depending on whether you're running ahead of or behind schedule. And, on the matter of the time frame, when I'm playtesting (or gaming in general) with my normal group of buddies, we tend to screw around and table talk, discuss video games, wives, children and football more than would ever happen at Game Day. Take that into consideration when you are judging how long the adventure will take to run.

- At the end of the session, ask for feedback from the players as to what they loved, didn't love, hated and how you could turn the "fun dial" up to eleven. This is going to be your best guage of what needs fixing and what needs to be left alone.

- As a general principle, when in doubt opt for fun and playability over balance and adherence to the rules. Remember that, unlike running a regular campaign, you're not setting any bad precidents that you'll have to live with later. You know for a FACT that any bad rules calls or Monty Haul treasure give aways won't haunt you past the next few hours. So be generous, outrageous and over the top. No treasure is too big. No explosion is too big.

- Make sure that you are having fun too. I find that this isn't hard to do with big explosions and treasure everywhere. :D

Hope that was of some help.

I think that most of that is applicable to your overall issue. If there are other specific questions that you've got, I'll be glad to address those too. I do think that one-shot games work best when there is a "twist", particularly if you're running them for your regular group. After all, if you've run several full-length campaigns for these people then trotting out what would be an average session in one of those, only without all the backstory leading up to it, it's bound to seem rather mediocre. I try and have the setting or premise for the game be something out of the ordinary. Thus far I've used:

- In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords Revisited - The twist here is that the PC's have almost no equipment, weapons, armor, etc. They've got to escape from a volcanic island before it blows.

- Orcz! - The twist here is that the PC's are Orcs engaging in the nasty and brutal sorts of things Orcs do, including running up against an iconic party of adventurers. I'm now running the sequal to this game, Orcz Reducz!, with a similar twist (including the classic Paladin dilemma, "do we slay the Orc women and children").

- Sky Galleons of Mars - Using d20 modern, I replicated the Space: 1889 setting from GW. The PC's are various earthlings from a Victorian Era earth that has discovered intelligent life on mars and colonized the area. Epic ship-to-ship battles on floating sky-ships above the martian deserts, ancient martian pyramids and pirates with gatling guns abound.

Anytime I think up a cool and unusual idea for a campaign and then think "that might be fun for a few sessions, but it could get old after a while", I file it away for "one-shot fodder". It has worked well so far.

Good luck!

cybertalus

First Post
Rel said:
I do think that one-shot games work best when there is a "twist"

Rel just said in half a sentence what I was about to take a few paragraphs to say. Do something *different*. If you're only playing for one session then game balance isn't really an issue so long as everyone has fun. This is your chance to be experimental and try out the weird ideas or game systems that you've never tried before.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Most definitely try out the systems that you always wanted to play, but were never able. Buffy, Feng Shui, Conan, etc. These games make for great one-shots and also serve to introduce players to different types of games outside of d20 (except for Conan that is). Most of all-Have fun! :cool:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
All the best one-shots I have played in or ran revolved around both a tight story and lots of character interaction.
This applies best when the DM is creating the characters. Each character should have a secret, relationships to some of the other characters, and a goal, which can be radically different than the parties stated goal.

For con games I try and go with the format of an introduction scene, a minor fight, a noncombat problem, mystery or heavy Role-play bit, and a climatic combat and resolution where some party secrets are brought out into the open, and a wrap up period where everyone finds out what was actually going on.

I usually have a second minor fight to throw in right before the climax if necessary. IE players are very story driven and ignore character hooks.

A party for a oneshot does not have to stick togeather for more than 4 -6 hrs
and is free of a lot balance issues. I had a party that was a noble family thrown into a haunted house - Parents, adult son, bodygaurd, steward, coach driver, that ranged from 7th -4th level and had a dense network of lies, disguises, strained relationships and an internal sabatuer. I have run it 3 times and it has been great.

Running a new system can be tricky if you don't know it very well, but with d20 its easy to play in one.

Stormborn

Explorer
Great advice so far. The only thing I would disagree with is the use of new systems. While a one shot is a good way to learn a new system that you might plan to play later, asking players to learn a new system for just one game session seems a bit much. As a trial run, great, but other wise I think I would avoid it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Stormborn said:
Great advice so far. The only thing I would disagree with is the use of new systems. While a one shot is a good way to learn a new system that you might plan to play later, asking players to learn a new system for just one game session seems a bit much. As a trial run, great, but other wise I think I would avoid it.

Nah. I've done more than three dozen one-shots in "new" systems, and they work wonderfully for me. Just spend 15 minutes explaining the most important rules (other rules can be taught later as needed), prepare reference-sheets of important rules for people, and give them pre-gen characters. If you do that, a one shot is a great way to find out if a new system is fun.

I strongly recommend that when you make pre-gen characters, put a line on them about how each PC feels about the others. This helps roleplaying immensely.

For instance, from my Mutants and Masterminds game, here's the character description for the sonic-based character "Diva":

Personality: High-strung, picky, vain, generous, manipulative, adventurous, intolerant.

General Concept: Incredible (but vain) opera singer appalled by most people’s choices in music and her own failed performance career, with vocal powers that she uses to crush crime in all its forms.

Tactics: Stay in the air and use your sonic powers to blast or deafen your foes. Use a sonic force-field to keep yourself safe. Steal attention from Revere and men from Ultimate.

Costume: Valkyrie outfit, complete with spear and winged helmet that allows your beautiful long black hair to swing freely.

History: You are often called beautiful by those who meet you. They’re correct. However, for some reason it hasn’t served you well; despite your incredibly voice you’ve been fired as a opera singer multiple times, and you have trouble keeping female friends. Odd. Even worse, the tabloids and news stations always seem to pay attention to Revere instead of yourself. What’s up with that? Maybe you need a publicist. It probably has something to do with your impromptu rant against rap and rock music the other day. You know, you know, but it’s hard to tolerate other forms of music when opera is such the perfect art form.

In the mean time, you’ve decided to concentrate on fighting crime as a way of giving something back and raising your stock with the public. Not only can you make your living as a performer, you can use your voice to fight crime! That’s bound to make you famous.

Raised in the North End by your Italian grandmother, you discovered your powers while you were at the Berklee School of Music. So far you’ve had a successful career as a crime-fighter with the Boston Beacons. Your worst experience was when you were trapped under a falling building by Lockjaw, and trapped there for more than a day. Since then, you have suffered from claustrophobia, which you are trying to control.. but the panic is often hard to resist when you are completely enclosed.

Other members of the Boston Beacons:

Ultimate: A snotty, upper-class health nut with too many muscles, who happens to be blessed with a clever pet and a few motor skills. You’re not sure what everyone sees in her.

Dogstar: Ultimate’s talking German Shepherd who thinks he’s smarter than you are. He fails to acknowledge how well you sing.

Gandalf: This teenaged boy is just precious when he gazes at you with his big puppy-dog eyes! Playing with his mind is sort of fun.

Manitou: Sort of a slob, he can transform into a huge monster when fighting crime. Not a bad sort of fellow, other than his taste in music.

Revere: Not only is he famous and gorgeous, but he gets great press! Trying to steal some of his spotlight might make sense, especially if you can make him like it.

The Gray Streak: You really look up to this older lady. She’s worked all her life, and just recently developed super-powers! Like your Grandmother, this is a woman to respect.​

You've got a little bit of personality, some interactions, and some tactics for new players. That makes it a lot easier to play on the fly.

the Jester

Legend
Speaking as someone who's played in one of PC's one-shots, I have to say I really like the little summaries of your pc and the notes about how you feel about the other pcs. :)

Remove ads