Sorcerer Variant-Theurgist

This is a thread to devise a new sorcerer class called the Theurgist. I've decided that it can cast up to 12th level offensive and summoning spells and has a base resistance to one energy type equal to 1/4 of the sorcerer's class level. They can cause magic items to malfunction within 30 feet of them and turn opposing spells. Any other suggestions would be useful.

Last edited:

Revision to theurgist spell list

A theurgist may distribute 72 "level points" among any one of 24 spell subcategories; these subcategories are listed below.

Telekinesis- [Force, Air, Fire, Water, Ice, Electricity, and Pure Energy]-Energy resistance equal to 1/4 class level vs. energy chosen

Biokinesis- [Healing, Harm]- Bioweapon

Summoning- [Outsider (any type), Elemental (Fire, Earth, Water, and Air)]-Outsider or elemental apotheosis.

Illusion- [Sound and Mirage]- Glamour

Divination- [Claudesence]- Alertness [Telepathy]-Read Thoughts

Enchantment- [Enhancement]-grant a temporary +2 bonus to one item [Hypnotism]-hypnotize up to six people to do one thing each

Abjuration-Turn opposing spells

Undeath-Turn or Rebuke undead

ForceUser

Explorer
I find it to be too much work reinventing the wheel. When I house rule I merely tweak existing rules; I don't invent new ones. You might consider keeping the basic sorcerer as-is and just creating a variant with Improved Counterspell as a bonus feat at 1st level and resistance to a new energy type every five levels starting at 5th (such as the Favored Soul gets in Complete Divine), in exchange for one less spell per day and one less spell known than the standard sorcerer (as WotC does with the battle sorcerer variant in Unearthed Arcana.) That's what I'd do if I were so inclined (which I'm not. ;) )

Arkhandus

First Post
Y'know GBK, we really don't have any idea what you're talking about anyway. Mind explaining the idea/intent better? Like, what in the the Nine Hells of Baator do you mean by 12th level offensive and summoning spells? Last I checked, D&D has at most 11 spell levels, if you count 0-level cantrips and 10th-level Epic Spells from the ELH (and Epic Spells are wonky).

Remove ads