• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Long Time Gamma World fans - is the d20 game worth it?

What version of Gamma World was the best?

• 1st edition (Grey-scale rulebook)

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • 2nd edition (Giant warbot cover)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 3rd edition (Cyborg riding cybercat cover)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 4th edition (Armored man fighting with winged creature)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Alternity

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • d20

Votes: 10 18.9%

Veritas

First Post
Hi all,

I've been playing Gamma world since it first came out, waaaaay back with the black and white cover rulebook, through the torturous 2nd edition mechanics, and the strange Marvel SH-esc 3rd edition, and I even picked up a couple of the 4th edition books, although I haven't played that version yet.

I haven't checked out the Alternity setting, but I'm curious now about this d20 version that's been out for a bit. I read a review of the Crypitic Alliances & Unknown Enemies book and it was less than flattering... of the entire line, saying that it consistently fails to deliver for long-time fans of the game.

So, I wanted to get some opinions of the fan base here... and I think I'll make it a more general question too.

What edition of Gamma World do you think is the best?

DMH

First Post
Alternity all the way. As much as I like the 4th edition, the stupid number of hit points and some of the rules make it difficult to run for me. Alternity has the lethality, skill based system and game mechanic that I find is best for GW.

Now to you second question- is the 6th edition worth it? Yes and no. The PH is not so great, the GMG is very useful for new GMs and okay for others, Machine and Mutants is awesome and adds a lot to GW, Out of the Vault has some new toys but nothing jumped out at me, and CA&UE is a mixed bag at best- there are some stuff only an anal retentive GM would use. But the new CAs and community rules are worth the money IMO.

And you forgot an "edition"- the 5 1/2th, Omega World. A popular, but way too short and underdeveloped conversion to d20. Other than the Death Machine stats, I didn't care for it at all.

Veritas

First Post
That Omega World one must have slipped under the radar for me... but then, I had kinda given up on the GW line, and didn't even notice the Alternity version come out (or Alternity itself for that matter, heh) until quite awhile after was on the market.

Thanks for the ideas though DMH. I've been considering that Alternity version for awhile now, but I've avoided it so I wouldn't be getting yet another GW game that disappoints. I've been tempted to just pick up the 1st edition off ebay and just play around with that. hehe.

I think the only truly good thing that I've seen from editions after that was the whole Pitz Burke campaign set that came with 2nd edition. I'll go check out that Alternity version now. :)

Tetsubo

First Post
For me it was 4th Edition. It was (to my mind) an early look at 3.0 D&D. I liked the idea of classes, a fairly useful skill system and the mental mutation combat skills were cool. If I were to pick up GW again to play it would probably be 4th Edition... Or... the D20 Modern Darwin's World... :)

DMH

First Post
Veritas said:
I'll go check out that Alternity version now. :)

Cool. Just keep in mind that the rules are much different from d20. And there isn't any robots (androids yes, robots no).

Instead of going over the good and bad of that edition here, why not just pop over to http://alternity.net and look around. The forums are kinda wonky at the moment- use http://alternity.net/onlineforums/index.php?

I, and others, have created material for AltGW there.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I like the Alternity incarnation the best. It may not be the simplest of all versions, but it is the most versatile. If you have the Alternity Player's Handbook and Gamemaster's Guide, I highly recommend getting the Gamma World campaign book.

Neo

Explorer
I would have to go with 4th Edition, although my fondest memorise are of 1st edition that is more because of theme and fond rememberence than great rule and mechanics...

4th for me was the most workable evolution on all fronts of the game.

The current edition although not as bad as many have painted it in other threads and on numerous boards is "good" in my opinion, its only failing for me is that it is a little too different in theme from what i'm used to in so far as what "Gamma World" means in that familiar way to me... but for someone who hasnt played the previous editions and has no such familiarity or expectations like myself and others in a similar situation there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current version.

Omega World is mechanically okay but it is essentially "Toon" Gamma World in theme.. which for me is not the setting I know and love.

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
Frukathka said:
If you have the Alternity Player's Handbook and Gamemaster's Guide, I highly recommend getting the Gamma World campaign book.

I just want to note that the PH and GMG are not required for the GW book- it has all the pertinent rules (and a few optional ones as well). The PH adds perks and flaws and some tech, but really isn't necessary. I have run the game with the GW by itself (well and a few Action Check issues).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads