• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Find a King - PC & NPC

Mortepierre

First Post
Click here to reach the corresponding story hour!

Whenever possible, I’ll try to include all relevant info to allow readers to fully understand what they are facing in terms of game mechanics. Though the campaign began when 3.5E had not yet been published, I have converted everything to 3.5E for your convenience before posting it here. As new sources for old classes/feats/spells/etc.. become available, I'll update the stats to reference the latest version (assuming I buy it).

People will notice that not all characters started at the 1st level. That was a conscious decision on my part. For years, I regretted that players who wished to portray a “veteran” could do so only through role-play. Sadly, that doesn’t quite cut it. Indeed, how do you prove in-game you are a veteran of many battles when you have the same basic stats as a “youngling” and thus are reduced to the same state of quasi-helplessness in certain situations?

Hence my first house rule: players can elect to begin at the 2nd (or even the 3rd) level if they so desire. However, there is a catch, and it’s a big one.

First of all, this option is only open to players who have demonstrated their mastery of the gaming system and are veteran role-players. No quick way to power for powergaming newbies!

Second, a player who chooses this option begins the game with the same amount of money as a 1st level character and with 0 xp. In game terms, this means players will have to earn the exact amount of xp required by their current level before being able to invest any in other pursuits (such as gaining a new level, creating a magic item, etc..). In effect, they start with a “debt”.

Interestingly, my 3 veteran players all decided to give it a go and I must say it turned out even better than what I had hoped for (Eirak/Kalveig started at lvl 3, and Pelrind at level 2).

For those who wonder, we’re using the point-buy system with a little twist. Here is a small excerpt from the Character Generation document all players received:

You begin with 25 DP (development points)

You can earn additional DP by fulfilling any of the following conditions:
- character’s race is human: +1 DP
- character’s class is Fighter, or Rogue: +2 DP
- character’s class is Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Holy Warrior (Paladin), or Ranger: +1 DP
- 1 (full) page (or more) of background (correctly typed) submitted to the DM: +2 DP
- background integrates elements and/or events requested by the DM: +1 DP
- provides a picture of character (it needn’t have been drawn by the player!): +1 DP

All rewards are cumulative. This is a one-time deal available only at character’s creation.

Justification: this system of DP bonus is a way to reward the players who are willing to go the extra mile when developing their character. It may give you the impression that I am trying to favor non-(arcane) spellcasters but there are several reasons for that.

First, this campaign is centered on the ongoing struggles of a human kingdom. While non-humans can (and will) be involved, it is my opinion that this should remain a predominantly “human campaign”.

Second, divine magic is more prevalent than arcane magic (at least in my world). While sorcerers and wizards do exist, they tend to be rare (especially at high level) and the attitude of most people toward their powers lies somewhere in-between awe and stark fear. Thus, someone playing one will have a tougher time at low level but enjoy considerable power at higher level. Hence, the need to insure that only players truly devoted to the concept of role-playing a Sorcerer/Wizard correctly will get one.

Finally, while adventurers tend to be folks above and beyond “Mr. Average Joe”, most of them still belong to the category that thinks a strong arm or a quick hand are enough to solve most problems (hence the higher DP bonus for Fighters and Rogues).

Just for info, here are the DP totals the players began with:
- Eirak: 30
- Kalveig: 31
- Musadoc: 27
- Pelrind: 29
- Siubhan: 28

And now, without further ado, our protagonists...

(stats take everything but the armor/encumbrance penalty into account)

EDIT: stats updated as they were by the end of Chapter 1

Eirak Delkilar, Male Sundered Dwarf Fighter 3: Medium humanoid; HD 3d10+9; hp 36; Init +1; Spd 20 ft.; AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16; Base Atk +3; Grp +6; Atk Nemesis +7 melee (1d8+4/x3); SQ sundered dwarf; AL LN(G); SV Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 12; Age 80; Height 4’1”; Weight 160 lb.
Skills: Climb +5 (+7 with kit), Intimidate +5, Knowledge (military logistics*) +4, Knowledge (military tactics*) +4, Knowledge (military training*) +7.
Feats: Dodge, Endurance, Military Service** (Iron Badger battalion), Toughness.
Signature Possessions: ‘Nemesis’ (+1 warhammer), heavy steel shield, locked gauntlet, scale mail, potion (cure light wounds), potion (cure moderate wounds), potion (heroism), climber’s kit.
Languages: Dwarven, Traladaran.

* skills from the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player’s Guide
** new feat allowing you to gain access to feats with the “army training” prerequisite, and to prestige classes with a prerequisite of 5 years of service in a specific military unit.

Brother Kalveig, Male Human (Drachen) Holy Warrior* 3 (of Morwyn): Medium humanoid; HD 3d10+3; hp 27; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 18, touch 11, flat-footed 17; Base Atk +3; Grp +5; Atk flail +5 melee (1d8+2); SQ aura of good; AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +4; Str 15, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14; Age 33; Height 6’1”; Weight 195 lb.
Aura of Courage, Divine Grace, and Divine Health: as per the PHB.
Confer Blessings (Sp): 3/day, by touch, confers 3 temporary hit pts (D: 24 hours) & +4 morale bonus vs fear effects (D: 3 min.) to one person.
Healer’s Aid (Sp): 1/day, 1 min. preparation, maximizes any one healing spell (one’s own or another’s) and cures an additional 3 hit pts.
Sacrifice (Sp): 1/day, by touch, can transfer to himself up to 37 pts of damage from another person (1% chance per 2 pts transferred of being knocked unconscious)
Skills: Concentration +3, Diplomacy +6, Handle Animal +4, Heal +5, Knowledge (religion) +3, Ride +7, Sense Motive +7.
Feats: Combat Expertise, Diehard, Endurance.
HW’s domains: Compassion (Confer Blessings, Healer’s Aid, Sacrifice), Guardian (Aura of Courage, Divine Grace, Divine Health)
Signature Possessions: chainmail, flail, fur cloak, heavy steel shield, wooden holy symbol (Morwyn), tanglefoot bag, silver dagger (masterwork), potion (cure light wounds).
Languages: Drachen, Traladaran.

* class from the Book of the Righteous (and updated by yours truly to 3.5E)

Musadoc, Male (Lightfoot) Halfling Holy Warrior 3 (of Anwyn): Small humanoid; HD 3d10+6; hp 30; Init +2; Spd 20 ft.; AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +3; Grp +0; Atk heavy pick +5 melee (1d4+1/x4) ; SQ aura of good, halfling; AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +5; Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13; Age 25; Height 3’0”; Weight 33 lb.
Cherished Bond (Su): automatic Will save to disbelief illusions whenever he encounters them, even before he has a chance to interact with them. This save benefits from a +1 bonus, and Musadoc can be considered to have rolled a 10 automatically if he wants to.
Creation’s Guardian (Su): 1/day (D: 6 rounds), may take a defensive stand to protect “things” associated with Anwyn (hearths, homes, housewives, peasants, and servants). During that time, gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC, and a +1 bonus to Str, Con, and all saving throws.
Divine Inspiration (Ex): Appraise & Craft (stonemasonry) become class skills. Gains a +1 sacred bonus whenever using them. Gains 4 skill pts to invest in them (but cannot exceed max. skill rank).
Energy Resistance (fire) (Su): 1/day, may ignore up to 3 pts of fire damage.
Fire Ken (Su): gains Ignan as free language. As a free action, 1/day, can sheathe one’s weapon (even natural weapons) with flames for 1 full round (adds 1d6+1 pts of fire damage to the attack).
Rebuke Fire Elemental (Su): may rebuke creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire exactly as a cleric of 3rd level may rebuke undead.
Skills: Appraise +3, Craft (stonemasonry) +3, Handle Animal +3, Hide +6, Knowledge (architecture & engineering) +1, Knowledge (religion) +2, Move Silently +4, Profession (miner) +5, Sense Motive +3.
Feats: Haunted*, Iron Will.
HW’s domains: Creation (Cherished Bond, Creation’s Guardian, Divine Inspiration), Fire (Fire Ken, Energy Resistance, Rebuke Fire Elemental)
Signature Possessions: (small) heavy pick, (small) leather armor, silver holy symbol (Anwyn), (small) light wooden shield, 3 smokesticks, 2 thunderstones, potion (cat’s grace), potion (cure light wounds), figurine of wondrous power (serpentine owl of wisdom).
Languages: Ignan, Halfling, Traladaran.

* feat from the Ravenloft Player’s Handbook which I modified. Instead of the ghost offering bonus to certain skills, the incorporeal spirit acts as an advisor to the character. The catch being that sometimes it advises you when you wish to be left alone, and at other times it refuses to chime in when you feel you most need advice. In extreme cases, the ghost can “possess” temporarily its partner - if allowed to - but doing so inflicts temporary Wisdom damage to the “host” (which manifests as terrible headaches).
Moreover, in this case, the ghost isn’t truly linked to the character but to an item he carries. If Musadoc loses the item, he loses his “partner” until he manages to recover it.

Pelrind the Geomancer, Male Stone Elf Druid/Sorcerer 2/1: Medium humanoid; HD 2d8+1d4; hp 17; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10; Base Atk +1; Grp +1; Atk staff-spear +1 melee (1d6 or 1d8/x3); SA spells; SQ climbing mastery*, disaster sense*, elemental empathy**, stone elf; AL N(G); SV Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +7; Str 11, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14; Age 120; Height 5’4”; Weight 121 lb.
Climbing Mastery (Ex): can climb at his normal movement rate without taking any penalty to the Climb check. In addition, he retains his dexterity bonus to his AC while climbing.
Disaster Sense (Ex): can sense any natural disasters related to the mountain, mud slides, rock slides, avalanches, etc.. at least 10 minutes (per druid level) before it happens. Disasters intentionally caused by others are not detected using this ability.
Skills: Concentration +2, Heal +4, Knowledge (arcana) +2, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (the planes) +2, Listen +7, Spellcraft +7, Spot +4, Survival +9 (+11 aboveground).
Feats: Bloodline of Power*** (Fey / racial bonus), Eschew Materials (Sorcerer class bonus), Survivor****, Track.
Usual Druidic Spells Prepared (4/3; save DC 12 + spell level): 0–create water, detect magic, flare, read magic; 1st–magic stone, obscuring mist, produce flame.
Sorcerer Spells Known (5/4; save DC 12 + spell level): 0–disrupt undead, ghost sound, jolt°, ray of frost; 1st–burning hands, charm person, pounding stones°.
Signature Possessions: copy of the Codex Natura, sling, staff-spear°°, wooden symbol of the Adepts of Dvorr, vial of antitoxin, 2 tindertwigs, calisil (elven orb of light), potion (invisibility), Lisette’s ring (Hag Eye).
Languages: Druidic, Elven, Terran, Traladaran.

* we play with the Terrain Adaptation rule that was published as a web enhancement for the Quintessential Druid (Mongoose Publishing). Pelrind chose Mountain as his starting terrain (quite naturally given his race, I might add), so Nature Sense is replaced by Disaster Sense and Woodland Stride by Climbing Mastery.
** druids who are members of the Adepts of Dvorr replace their Wild Empathy by Elemental Empathy. It works the same way but only toward creatures of the Elemental type. If the creature’s Intelligence score is equal to 6 (or higher) the druid takes a -4 penalty on the check. Having 5 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes) gives you a +2 (synergy) bonus to that check
*** new feat that is a prerequisite for taking the Sorcerer class. In exchange, Sorcerers receive Eschew Materials as a bonus feat. Some races (such as the elves) receive it for free as part of their ‘inheritance’. Originally, I had developed my own feat but when I noticed those described in Dragon Mag., issues #311 & 315, I switched to them (albeit after modifying a bit the list of ‘extra-spells’)
**** feat from the Player’s Guide to Faerun
° spells from the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player’s Guide
°° this weapon is simply a quarterstaff with one end turned into a spear-head

Sister Siubhan, Female Human (Traladaran) Cleric 3 (of Morwyn): Medium humanoid; HD 3d8; hp 19; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 11; Base Atk +2; Grp +2; Atk quarterstaff +2 melee (1d6); SA spells, turn undead; AL LG; SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +6; Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 16(+2/3), Cha 14; Age 19; Height 4’8”; Weight 85 lb.
Skills: Concentration +4, Diplomacy +8, Heal +12 (+14 with kit), Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (the planes) +2, Knowledge (religion) +6, Sense Motive* +3, Spellcraft +3.
Feats: Sacred Vow**, Skill Focus (Heal), <reserved>***.
Usual Spells Prepared (4/3+1/2+1; save DC 13 + spell level): 0–detect poison, light, purify food & drink, read magic; 1st–bless, detect secret doors°, remove fear, sanctuary; 2nd-delay poison, detect thoughts°, lesser restoration.
°Domain spell
Deity’s domains: Good, Healing, Knowledge, Protection.
Domains of choice: Healing (cast healing spells at +1 caster level), Knowledge (all Knowledge skills are considered class skills).
Domain of specialization: Healing.
Signature Possessions: healer’s kit, quarterstaff, silver holy symbol (Morwyn), ring of protection (+1), sunrod, potion (invisibility), potion (remove paralysis), scroll of remove paralysis.
Languages: Celestial, Traladaran.

* Clerics of Morwyn can also use it to sense pain (physical or psychological) in others. The smaller the wound (or the more hidden the trauma), the higher the DC of the skill check
** feat from the Book of Exalted Deeds
*** Siubhan’s player had chosen a new feat but since she couldn’t get it before visiting a temple of Morwyn, I agreed to let her leave the slot ‘on hold’

EDIT: as a small treat to loyal readers waiting for the next update, I have decided to include the "general" (as opposed to "DM's") map of Drachenhold. It should help you visualize better where the action is taking place. Full credit for the original map (which I modified for my campaign) goes to Brian K. Moseley
(apologies for the blurred details but since attachments are limited to some 0.25 Mb, I had to reduce the size drastically :\ )

Attachments

• Drachenhold map.jpg
    Drachenhold map.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Mortepierre

First Post
Sundered Dwarves & the Kun-Orun:
When the cataclysm struck, the dwarves’ world came crashing down on them (quite literally!). Earthquakes shattered underground halls that had stood for millennia. Lava flows submerged cities that had once seemed as eternal as the mountains themselves. Noxious fumes caused thousands to die in agony, their lungs on fire. And creatures seemingly conjured right out of their worst nightmares stalked their streets, tearing them to shreds. Faced with annihilation, the dwarves left for the surface world.

For the survivors, life became a true ordeal. They had to scrounge to earn enough to allow their folks to go on, if only for another day. The old clan system was thrown away, and a new society created whose one and only goal was survival. They adapted slowly but not without pain. They had lost their racial pride and become a dour and miserable people.

Due to what had happened, they also developed an irrational phobia of underground places - acute claustrophobia. To many of them, that was the last straw. They just couldn’t bear the thought of others knowing about it, so they shrouded it in secrets. It became their people’s greatest secret.. and shame. They called it the Kun-Orun.

Weirdly, dwarves born after the Cataclysm also suffered from it as if it had spread like a curse to the new generations. There is a reason for that.. but I am going to keep it secret for now. No need to spoil the surprise so soon ;)

As for stats, Sundered Dwarves are treated as ‘standard’ dwarves apart from the following modifications:
* +1 Str/Con, -2 Cha: they are less hardy than their ancestors but have grown stronger due to the trials they endured to survive
* darkvision reduced to 30 ft.: by living aboveground, they are losing it gradually
* no innate ability to determine depth instinctively
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls vs. Giants
* +4 racial bonus to all saves vs. fear: after what they have gone through, there isn’t much that can shake them anymore (note that this bonus doesn’t apply to the saving throw required by the Kun-Orun!)
* Kun-Orun: a sundered dwarf must roll a successful Will saving throw (DC 15) in order to overcome his fear of the underground before he can enter dungeons, (natural) caves, and deep tombs. If the check fails, he may not enter but can try again the next day (albeit vs. a higher DC equal to 15 + the number of days he has failed his save since first trying).
Spending 2 weeks (not underground!) away from the location will reset the DC to 15 (about this particular location only!). Even if his save succeeds, he will have to roll another one every day spent underground (at a DC equal to 15 + the number of days already spent underground).
Remove Fear allows a dwarf who failed his save to make a new one immediately and resets the DC to 15 (no matter how many days underground have passed). Whether the save was successful or not, a sundered dwarf will always suffer a -1 penalty to his attack rolls as long as he is underground. A sundered dwarf who fails his save is treated as if affected by a Fear spell as long as he has not reached an open-air location on the surface.

Normally, I should have forced Eirak’s player to roll a saving throw as soon as his character set foot inside the Vault but I decided that waiting and ‘increasing the pressure’ first was better for the role-play aspect of the game.

And why did I impose such a harsh penalty on dwarves? Simply put, because I wanted this to be a ‘human campaign’ first and foremost. Thus, all non-human races were modified to incorporate one (or more) drawback(s) that makes them harder to play. Players could still choose them but would have a tougher time if they did. Of course, given how frequently ‘normal’ adventurers pay a visit to dungeons, Eirak’s handicap is probably the most frustrating of all.

Dwarves are claustrophobic. Gobbers are scorned by pretty much everyone. As for halflings and elves, you’ll have to wait and see...

I must say, I was a bit surprised (if not disappointed) when 3 of my players still insisted on taking non-human characters. However, in the long run, it worked out because it allowed me to incorporate their specific disadvantages in my campaign and build some stories around them.

As a side note, dwarven holy warriors benefiting from the Aura of Courage special ability aren’t immune to the Kun-Orun but succumb to it only rarely compared to other members of their race. That’s because of another house rule of mine. I dislike class abilities that grant complete protection to something players confront on a regular basis. Thus, Aura of Courage and Divine Health have been adapted to grant a +20 bonus to save vs. - respectively - fear and disease instead of total immunity (but a ‘natural’ 1 is not treated as an automatic failure in this specific case!). Hence, a dwarven holy warrior endowed with Aura of Courage would need to spend at least 7 days (= DC 22) underground before risking serious problems.

The main consequence is that a 1st level paladin (of any race) would still be all but immune to ‘standard’ fear and disease, but would no longer be able to ignore the fear aura of an epic creature or to ‘shrug off’ the disease spread by the touch of, say, a demon prince (because of the higher DC).

Last edited:

Mortepierre

First Post
House rules/monsters/NPC/special items from Chapter 1:

Something that always struck me as counterproductive in D&D is the manner in which magic weapons are handled. Let’s face it, many of the different spellcasters have access to ‘weapon-enhancing’ spells but rarely if ever use them in-game because magic weapons are (usually) a frequent ‘reward’ for adventurers (be they part of the equipment of fallen enemies or found in a treasure hoard). Not to mention your friendly neighborhood-wizard who will craft you the weapon of your dreams as long as your purse is fat enough.

Not so in my campaign. The Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat works as usual in regard to magic armors but quite differently for ‘magic arms’.

At the most basic level, the feat allows you to create Spellblades without too much fuss.

Essentially, these are masterwork weapons that function (and are enchanted) just like wands. They can have up to 50 charges, are limited to spells up to the 4th level, etc... Once the last charge has been expended, however, they don’t crumble into dust. They simply remain non-magical masterwork weapons. You can’t ‘recharge’ them, but you can enchant them again (either with the same spell, or a different one) if desired. Only spells directly affecting the weapon’s ‘capabilities’ can be used. If you limit yourself to the PHB, those are: Align Weapon, Bless Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon, Holy Sword, Keen Edge (type P or S weapons only), Magic Weapon, and Shillelagh (cudgel or quarterstaff only).

Obviously, despite being called ‘spellblades’, they are not restricted to bladed weapons. Note that ammunitions for ranged weapons cannot be enchanted in this manner. You could create a spellblade bow, for instance, but not spellblade arrows. Anyone can use them as a spellblade is a Command Word-activated magic item (with the word frequently being engraved on the weapon).

Spellblade price (gp) = (375 x spell level x caster level) + material component cost (for each charge). Creation cost equals 1/25th total price in xp, and 1/2 total price in gp. It doesn’t include the masterwork weapon’s price because, usually, people buy the desired weapon first and then seek out someone to turn it into a spellblade.

One step above, we find the ‘true’ magic weapons (as per the DMG definition). Those are rare because, for some unknown reason, it is very complicated to bind enchantments permanently to any kind of weapon on this world. A little known fact is that this holds true only on the Prime Material and any of its coexistent planes. Creating magic weapons on ‘other’ planes still works exactly as outlined in the PHB/DMG (which explains why celestial- or fiend-forged magic weapons are greatly prized by mortals).

The process and cost to enchant them are exactly as detailed in the PHB/DMG but each separate enchantment also requires the spellcaster to research the corresponding ‘magical formula’. For example, a +1 anarchic keen rapier would require the craftsman to investigate three formulas (‘+1 weapon’ / ‘anarchic weapon’ / ‘keen weapon’). That involves lengthy research and costs a lot of money. Hence, those who possess such formulas guard them jealously.

Once you have a formula, though, you can apply it at will to any kind of weapon suitable for such enchantment (as long as you meet the standard prerequisites, of course). Note that, since all magic weapons must receive a base enhancement bonus before receiving other special abilities, someone who had researched successfully the formula for, say, ‘anarchic weapon’ would be unable to use it before he had also researched one of the ‘+X weapon’ formulas. Please remember that there are actually five different basic ‘enhancement formulas’ (+1 / +2 / +3 / +4 / +5), and each of them must be researched independently!

Above and beyond ‘true’ magic weapons, there is another category: ‘legendary’ weapons. These come straight out of History. Only the most powerful and renowned (read: epic) spellcasters can hope to create one, usually for a very special occasion (and, often, with the help of extraplanar entities). The extraordinary advantage of legendary weapons is that their powers can ‘grow’ in time. Their wielders must ‘attune’ (read: take the corresponding Weapon-Scion PrC) themselves to them and - if they prove worthy - the weapons reveal more of their powers as the link deepens (read: as the character gains levels in the PrC). Those were directly inspired by Swords of our Fathers (JD Wiker).

The end result is a world where spellblades are moderately frequent, true magic weapons are rare (all having a name and a rich history), and legendary weapons are the stuff of.. well, legends :p

When I had this idea and implemented it in my campaign from day 1, I had no idea of how deeply it would modify my setting. I had simply desired a world where spellcasters got to ‘shine’ because they had the proper spells, and where having a permanently enchanted weapon would be seen as something extraordinary and not just trivial once players reached a certain level. In that regard, I certainly got my wish!

Suddenly, things took a life of their own. Wizards began to shun the crafting of magic weapons (and thus armors too), preferring to spend their time and money on ‘easier’ items. Conversely, holy warriors and sorcerers began to take a keen interest in that ‘art’. The former because they often found themselves fighting creatures protected by various forms of damage resistance, and the latter because it gave them something to bargain with people who - usually - were only concerned by burning them at the stake.

Churches of the various gods hoarded magic formulas like precious treasures, each cult specializing in certain enchantments tied to the portfolio of their deity (i.e. Merciful for the church of Morwyn, etc..). Clerics with access to the magic weapon spell were now in high demand by teams of adventurers (thus increasing the prestige of their corresponding cults).

Bards, clerics and wizards began receiving nocturnal visits from cloaked individuals who wanted information about a weapon they had.. ah.. ‘acquired’. Bards especially began to specialize not in the lore of heroes but in the history of the various ‘true’ and ‘legendary’ weapons known to exist.

Weaponsmiths capable of crafting weapons made of ‘special’ materials (and with regular access to the raw materials involved) saw their fame increase tenfold.

Before I knew what had happened, broad changes had occurred in the way the various races dealt with the crafting of new weapons.. and the recovery of pre-Cataclysm ones!

The main (and more satisfying) consequence was that a high-level character now treasured a ‘simple’ +1 weapon as much as if it was +5.. and would have to protect it from thieves a lot more than in ‘normal’ settings.

All in all, I am quite happy with the result and don’t regret doing it :)

The strange earth elemental they fought was actually a (Medium) Grave Elemental from Denizens of Dread (Sword & Sorcery).

The Undrathar was an Umber Hulk, albeit one which couldn’t use its gaze attack (at first) due to a wound it had received prior to its encounter with the heroes.

The Boggers came straight from the Monsternomicon (Privateer Press).

Lisette’s minions (skeletal Hungry Deads*): CR 3; Medium undead; HD 2d12+3; hp 16; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 15, touch 10, flat-footed 15; Base Atk +1; Grp +3; Atk Bite +3 melee (1d6+2); Full Atk Bite +3 melee (1d6+2); SA salient powers; SQ DR 5/bludgeoning, immunity to cold, turn resistance (+2), undead traits; AL NE; SV Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +3; Str 14, Dex 10, Con -, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 1.
Salient powers:
- Deathless Warrior (Su): when reduced to 0 hit pts, regardless of damage taken, immediately regenerates to full hit pts. If reduced to -10 (or below) in 1 round, requires 10 rounds to reassemble.
- Paralysis (Su): creatures hit by the hungry dead must succeed at a Fort. Save (DC 11) or be paralyzed for 1d6+2 minutes. Creatures with the Elven Blood SQ are immune.
Salient weaknesses:
- Allergens: NeMoren family crest (reaction: enragement)
- Vulnerability (fire): damage inflicted by fire (whether magical or not) cannot be regenerated by the Deathless Warrior power
Feats: Toughness.

* designed using the VR’s Guide to the Walking Dead (Sword & Sorcery)

Lisette, Female Human (Traladaran) Hag° (Age 1) Sorcerer 3: CR 4; Medium monstrous humanoid (augmented humanoid); HD 3d8; hp 24; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15; Base Atk +1; Grp +4; Atk Claw +4 melee (1d4+3); Full Atk 2 Claws +4 melee (1d4+3); SA spells; SQ darkvision 60 ft.; AL LE; SV Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +8; Str 17, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 16; Age 63.
Skills: Bluff +9, Concentration +6, Hide +8, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Listen +11, Reign Undead°° +9, Spellcraft +4, Spot +11.
Feats: Alertness (Hag racial bonus), Augment Summoning, Bloodline of Power (Fiendish / Hag racial bonus), Combat Casting (Hag racial bonus), Combat Reflexes, Eschew Materials (class bonus), Spell Focus (Conjuration).
Spell-like Ability (caster level: 8th): at will-disguise self.
Sorcerer Spells Known (6/6; save DC 13 + spell level): 0–daze, detect magic, disrupt undead, read magic, touch of fatigue; 1st–charm person, protection from good, ray of enfeeblement, summon monster I.
Possessions: hag eye (disguised as a citrine and worn on a copper ring / MM p.144).
Languages: Infernal, Traladaran.

° template from the RL Player’s Handbook (Sword & Sorcery)
°° skill from the VR’s Guide to the Walking Dead (Sword & Sorcery)

After the encounter with the Undrathar, everyone had enough xp for lvl 2. That didn’t change anything for Eirak, Kalveig, or Pelrind but, to Musadoc and Siubhan, it made a world of difference. And, after dealing with Lisette, they all qualified (though only just) for lvl 3 (again, for Eirak and Kalveig, it didn’t make any difference).

EDIT: PC stats updated in the first post of this thread

Behind the scene explanations: (spoiler warning!)

[sblock]So, what was really going on here?

Well, Lisette was the youngest member of a hag coven dedicated to Antaia, the Witch Queen (actually, a minion of Belial - Lord of the Fourth Circle of Hell). Those hags had always been living in the nearby foothills of the Wyrmsteeth Mountains. For centuries, they had tried to gain control over the area but had been defeated at every turn by members of House NeMoren (who, as worshippers of Rontra, couldn’t stand their frequent summoning of fiends).

By the mid-4th century, a once-large and powerful coven had been reduced to a handful of bitter witches. They needed to do something drastic to reverse the situation.

Hags are part of the many creatures ‘sponsored’ by Hell to infiltrate and corrupt the four (main) races created by the gods. Usually, they use spells to exchange their own babies for those of healthy females of the races they prey upon. The hag child is raised by normal parents until such time as her powers start to manifest. As such, they look like normal members of the natives during their first few decades. By the time they turn 40, their appearance begins to change to match their wicked spirit. However, they also start gaining innate powers that allow them to disguise themselves, thus maintaining the deception. Lisette was such a child. As for the ‘normal’ children being exchanged, their fate is too gruesome to contemplate here...

Lisette was contacted at a younger age than usual by the coven because they needed a young and beautiful woman for their plan. She was to meet Paytro NeMoren ‘by luck’, charm him and convince him to marry her. Once they were wed, the coven would ‘dispose’ of the Baron and they would rule his lands through Lisette and her (exclusively female) descendants.

Initially, all went well. Even without the elixirs and minor talismans prepared by the coven, Lisette would have succeeded. Paytro NeMoren just loved to flirt and, truth be told, Lisette was a gorgeous woman. Alas, the hags had failed to anticipate two things. The first was that while Paytro loved women, he had never fallen in love with one. The second was that Lisette, not having spent much time with her ‘true’ family yet, was still human enough to experience true love for the young nobleman.

Suddenly, everything went wrong. Paytro met Amelia and fell head over heels in love with her. Cynics will say that being the sister of the guildmaster of the Loggers’ Union had something to do with it but maybe it was just Fate working in mysterious ways. Anyway, the result was that he spent less and less time with Lisette till he finally forbade her to show up at the manor at all. One week later, he was marrying Amelia.

If the hags were furious, the word can’t begin to describe how Lisette felt. Yet, deep down inside, she still loved Paytro and wanted to marry him. Indeed, she convinced herself that it had all been Amelia’s fault. She had ‘stolen’ her Paytro and now she would pay for it!

Boggers - minions of the coven - attacked Amelia’s carriage, murdered her escort and brought the baroness back to the hags. Lisette dragged her to the unholy temple where they honored the Witch Queen. There, against her ‘sisters’ advice, she forced the coven to go through one of their vilest rituals. The magic successfully transformed Amelia into gaseous form permanently. However, it also claimed the life of the eldest hag as ‘fuel’*. The other two remaining hags were less than happy about it but, needing Lisette to access the coven’s special powers, decided not to deal with her before their control over the barony was secure and a new hag had been ‘recruited’. Amelia’s ‘body’ was imprisoned in a crystal flask and hidden in the lair of the temple’s minotaur guardian.

* by the same principle that applies to Corrupt spells (BoVD)

The next day, Lisette showed up with two human minions (the coven maintains ‘spies’ in nearby human villages) at the NeMoren’s manor to deliver an ultimatum to the baron. He had to apply to the king to annul his marriage with Amelia, then wed Lisette, and proclaim her rightful baroness of Westwood. Failure to comply would mean that Amelia would never be released and that his scandalous behavior would be revealed to all (after all, he had continued to see Lisette even though he was engaged to Amelia).

Paytro did not react as they expected. Fearing that his family's reputation would be ruined by his personal weakness, the baron drugged the three blackmailers and imprisoned them under his mansion in the family's massive stone vault. Hiring masons who could be paid (or threatened) for their silence, Paytro had the entrance to the vault sealed over, hiding the evidence of his tryst forever.

When Lisette woke up and discovered her predicament, she ranted for a while, but then calmed down and explored the place. Her ‘sisters’ could see all through the hag eye she was wearing but were powerless to help or communicate with her. In fact, deprived of Lisette, the two remaining hags couldn’t even cast the coven’s most powerful spells anymore! (MM, p.144). Still, they sent a group of boggers to a cave located near the manor and instructed them to dig till they reached the vault.

Lisette and the thugs managed to survive for a time using provisions stored by the NeMorens in the vault. When the food ran out, Lisette killed the thugs and devoured them. Left with no alternative, she used a powerful scroll found among the battle trophies of the NeMorens to contact the Witch Queen. Needless to say, Antaia wasn’t pleased. In her opinion, Lisette had blundered badly and needed to pay for her mistakes. She refused to lift a finger and even mocked Lisette for the human feelings that had led to her doom. If the Witch Queen thought Lisette would give in to despair though, she was sadly mistaken.

At about the same time, the Undrathar wandered in the area of the vault and broke through a wall. Then, still digging, it broke into the cavern of the boggers sent by the two hags. Many died to its claws on that day and some were left to rot in the underground stream. The others, knowing the stewpot was waiting for them should they return without Lisette, ventured through the tunnels and reached the vault. They ran into her almost immediately but the witch didn’t react as they had expected. Instead of being happy and agreeing to leave with them, she attacked, killing several which she promptly devoured. The survivors fled back to the caverns but didn’t dare leave for good.

By then, Lisette had sunk deep into madness. She was convinced ‘her’ Paytro would come back to deliver her. She planned to make him pay for a while, and then forgive him and allow him to marry her. Had she left with the boggers, she might have missed his return. So, she refused to go. To insure she would have food enough to wait, she used another scroll found in the vault to animate the remains of the two thugs and turned them into voracious hunters that would ‘gather’ meat for her.

The boggers soon learnt to fear the two undeads but also discovered they were afraid of fire. Intrigued by the vault, they sent raiding parties inside that - despite losses - managed to bring back enough quality items to make them hunger for more. A messenger went back secretly to their lair to inform their king of what was happening. The latter decided that this was a win-win situation. By ordering his troops to stay there, he placated the hags and insured regular shipments of goods stolen from the vault. Losing a few grunts now and then to skeletal ghouls was, in his opinion, an acceptable trade-off. If too many died, he would simply send reinforcements as needed (the advantage of belonging to a fast-breeding race).

Still, to the boggers involved in the operation, being devoured by undeads wasn’t very appealing. So, they took the habit of regularly capturing citizens from Weston to offer them to the ghouls as ‘sacrificial lamb’.

Enter the players...[/sblock]

Nemesis is a weapon I designed after being inspired by the excellent Swords of our Fathers (by JD Wiker). It was made for a Battle Scion. I must confess that, as the campaign progressed and other WotC accessories became available, its powers changed quite a few times but, since none of the players had access to them yet, it wasn’t a problematic issue.

Since at least one of my players is lurking around, I won’t provide complete info at this time. I’ll reveal more as (if) they uncover its powers.

1. Scion Requirements:
Alignment: Any non-evil
BAB: +5
Feat: Devout*, Endurance
Special: must be a worshipper of Rontra, or have willingly submitted to Bind Oath° while swearing to always oppose fiends.

* feat from the Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin Publishing)
° spell from the Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin Publishing)

2. Attributes:
Hardness / Hit Points: 13 / 35 (Solanian Truesteel°°)
Initial Abilities: Anyone who wields Nemesis, whether a Battle Scion or not, benefits from it as a +1 warhammer. Due to the special metal it was forged in, all confirmation rolls for a critical hit are made at a +1 bonus.

°° from the Arms and Equipment Guide or the Book of Exalted Deeds (WotC)

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Very enjoyable reading. I especially appreciate seeing your character generation methods. I think adding a twist to generation can really help jump start a campaign. Neat ideas!

Mortepierre

First Post
Thank you Pogre! I'll make sure to post the other 'house rules' as they come into play. Comments are welcomed since my players didn't really have a choice and I happen to think there is always room for improvement :)

That said, I strongly encourage readers to check Pogre's own SH. Not only is it funny as hell, it is also graced with fantastic pic!

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
I have to agree with Pogre here in that your character creation twists are very interesting. I think they help to get the campaign off to a great role playing start. I'm nearly through Chapter 1 on your Story Hour and have found it enthralling. Once I pull it up, I get almost no work done. :)

I also agree that Pogre's Story Hours are great reads and are helped with all the cool pics.

Remove ads