• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10th level Dragon Disciple. Alignment Change?

nimisgod

LEW Judge
My Paladin 2/Sorceror 1, Ishmael, is aiming for Dragon Disciple (DD).

I was looking at the Dragon Disciple PrC and this question came to mind.

At 10th level of DD, Ishmael takes the Half-Dragon template. The Half-Dragon template says that the Half-Dragon's alignment matches its Dragon type.

I had planned for Ishmael to take the Blue Dragon, which is "Always LE".

"Always X", where X is an alignment, simply means that a deviation from this alignment is "one in a million". In other words, it is incredibly rare to find a Blue Dragon that isn't LE. It is presumably because the creature is innately of that alignment (such as Demons being CE).

My question is: Does that mean that once I take that 10th level of Dragon Disciple, Ishmael will become LE (and thus lose his Paladin powers)?

shilsen

Adventurer
I'd say it's up to DM discretion, but would rule out an alignment shift at 10th lvl. The description of Dragon Apotheosis lists the changes which occur and makes no mention of alignment, and since there is no alignment restriction in the PrC, it's up to the DM to decide. Esp. since the requirements list for the PrC lists "Special: The player chooses a dragon variety when taking the first level in this prestige class, subject to the DM's approval."

Diirk

First Post
I wouldn't bother with an alignment change, the DD prestige class doesn't quite follow the rules for the template... note that all DDs get flying for example, whereas only large or bigger half dragons do.

likuidice

First Post
DD stuff

I asked this question a lil while ago, and got the following response.

at 10th level, the dragon disciple prestige class states that the character takes on the half dragon template, is this simply flavour text, or does the character actually gain the entire template, including level adjustment, stat boosts etc. Common sense dictates that its simply flavour text and the character simply gains the bonuses listed, however the passage mentions the template, so its unclear.

-This is simply flavor text, since the character only gets the benefits listed in the prestige class. Good Gaming!

*Please quote this email in any reply.*
Chris
Customer Service Department
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I was of the same mind as you all, but the rules were a little vague in that regard. Thanks for the insight, everyone.

I'm playing this guy in Living Enworld, so I think I was given the freedom to choose whichever color. Half-Dragons in 3.5 are more or less equal regardless of the color so, I chose the one I wanted without worrying about power/uselessness.

likuidice: Thank you very much for that quote. I've heard some bad things about Customer Service, but they are official enough for my purposes.

daTim

First Post
If you take the 10th level of Dragon Disciple, you no longer qualify for the prestige class, making you lose all of the abilities!

Requirements
To qualify to become a dragon disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).

Sorry, I just love pointing that out.

Patlin

Explorer
I've sort of been wondering about the direction you plan to take with Ishmael (as the character's current DM.) Since you can't go back to Paladin, are you planning to accept an XP penalty at some point? Unless you take more than one PRC, it seems like you'd otherwise need to take 5 to 7 levels of Rogue by level 20.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Patlin said:
I've sort of been wondering about the direction you plan to take with Ishmael (as the character's current DM.) Since you can't go back to Paladin, are you planning to accept an XP penalty at some point? Unless you take more than one PRC, it seems like you'd otherwise need to take 5 to 7 levels of Rogue by level 20.
I thought he would just take lotsa levels in sorcerer at that point, and go for the caster abilities.

Creamsteak

Explorer
likuidice said:
I asked this question a lil while ago, and got the following response.

at 10th level, the dragon disciple prestige class states that the character takes on the half dragon template, is this simply flavour text, or does the character actually gain the entire template, including level adjustment, stat boosts etc. Common sense dictates that its simply flavour text and the character simply gains the bonuses listed, however the passage mentions the template, so its unclear.

-This is simply flavor text, since the character only gets the benefits listed in the prestige class. Good Gaming!

*Please quote this email in any reply.*
Chris
Customer Service Department
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496

I'd just run with that. Short, simple, and no arguments from me. However, if you thought it would be fun to run the Gaes/Quest thing, I'd support you in that too.

Patlin

Explorer
I agree, there shouldn't be any automatic alignment change, but it does present an interesting role playing opportunity.

Wouldn't Paladin 2/Sorceror 8/DD 10 cause problems for a Deep Halfling? unless I'm missing something, the favored class is Rogue. Also rough on the BAB.

(Even more tangential, your question as to whether Tor was heading towards Dragon Disciple now has additional layers or meaning.) :)

Remove ads