[d20 Modern] Rethinking Knowledge (tactics)

The Shaman

First Post
As I understand it, the Knowledge skills in Modern were designed to be fairly broad – too many categories would result in highly specialized knowledge that might have limited application in the game. This is why we have Knowledge (physical sciences) instead of Knowledge (astronomy) and Knowledge (physics) and Knowledge (chemistry).

With this in mind, Knowledge (tactics) seems a bit narrowly constructed to me. Knowledge (tactics) is described in the MSRD as “(t)echniques and strategies for disposing and maneuvering forces in combat.” Applications of Knowledge (tactics) are further described in a Bullet Points article on the WotC boards and in a post by Rich Redman on the Game Mechanics’ forum.

I think the tight focus of Knowledge (tactics) could be opened up a bit. For example, in the original Top Secret role-playing game, there was a knowledge skill called “Military Science” that seems more along the lines of what I’m looking for. After looking through the curricula for military science academic programs in universities, I developed a first draft of a skill to replace Knowledge (tactics):

Knowledge (military science): Military organization and administration, history and traditions, combat tactics and maneuver, logistics, and military justice.

Knowledge (military science) provides the same benefits outlined by the present rules and meets the prerequisite for any class ability, skill, or feat as the present Knowledge (tactics) skill. In addition, Knowledge (military science) has a number of other uses. For example:
  • a character with Knowledge (military science) observing another character in uniform can identify the country and branch of service (DC 15), the character’s rank (DC 20) and unit (DC 25), what service medals the character has won by her or his ribbons (DC 30), and that at least one of the ribbons is fake because the character couldn’t possibly have been present in the theatre of operations to receive it (DC 35)
  • a character using Knowledge (military science) studying satellite photos of a military installation can identify that the installation is a fuel and weapons depot (DC 15) for mechanized infantry (DC 20) in at least battalion strength (DC 25)
Knolewledge (military science) shares synergies like that of the present Knowledge (tactics), but may have some other applications as well. For example:
  • Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (civics) for military justice including courts martial – anyone interested in playing a JAG attorney or NIS agent?
  • Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (technology) for identifying the capabilities of a new weapons system
  • Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (history) for the location of bunkers built for a battle decades ago
I haven't playtested this yet, but I may for an upcoming mini-campaign.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
As a House Rule, this is great. For anything Core, this is still great, but I'd call it "expanded uses" for (Tactics) just because that's the SOP for supplements that want to work new skill uses into the game (I.E. by shoe-horning them into existing skills ... see Computer Use in Future and RPGObjects Blood And _____ military stuff).

So, for a home game, I'm probably going to steal this outright (seeing as I have a military game coming up), but if you're thinking about writing a "Navy NCIS" supplement you might want to go ahead and shoe-horn it into (Tactics) to stay with the style guides.

--fje

The Shaman

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
...if you're thinking about writing a "Navy NCIS" supplement you might want to go ahead and shoe-horn it into (Tactics) to stay with the style guides.
This varaint is intended for my HB campaigns and offered up for anyone else who'd like to use it in theirs - I have no ambitions toward publishing, so staying within the Modern style guides isn't an issue.

Thanks very much for the feedback, HeapThaumaturgist - I really do appreciate the response.

Aaron2

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

I'd keep the two skills seperate. Tactics is for on-the-ground type information (good places to defend, probably routes of enemy attack, etc) while Military Science would be for the administrative troops. So a sergeant in the front line would have Tactics while a staff officer back at division HQ would have Military Science. I don't really see the need to combine them.

What PrCs require Knowledge (Tactics)?

Aaron

Starglim

Explorer
I agree that it seems to fit better with the d20 Modern division of Knowledge. If I have to deal with (earth and life sciences) covering medical knowledge, then I can certainly allow a comfortable amount of room to (military science).

a character with Knowledge (military science) observing another character in uniform can identify the country and branch of service (DC 15), the character’s rank (DC 20) and unit (DC 25), what service medals the character has won by her or his ribbons (DC 30), and that at least one of the ribbons is fake because the character couldn’t possibly have been present in the theatre of operations to receive it (DC 35)

I'd reduce each of these DCs by 5.

a character using Knowledge (military science) studying satellite photos of a military installation can identify that the installation is a fuel and weapons depot (DC 15) for mechanized infantry (DC 20) in at least battalion strength (DC 25)

I'm skeptical about this use, though I'm not sure offhand what other skill should cover it - perhaps (technology) with synergy from (military science) for the purely organisational aspects of the layout.

Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (civics) for military justice including courts martial

Definitely, and both (military science) and (history) might provide synergy when dealing with military tribunals or war crimes cases.

Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (technology) for identifying the capabilities of a new weapons system

I'd prefer for (military science) to provide a synergy bonus to Gather Information for this purpose, and proficiency with the weapon to provide a synergy bonus to Knowledge (technology).

Knowledge (military science) provides a synergy bonus to Knowledge (history) for the location of bunkers built for a battle decades ago

Agreed.

Insight

Adventurer
In our D20 Modern campaign, we use Knowledge (tactics) a bit differently. If someone has time to prepare and knowledge of the enemy's position, strength, abilities, etc, that person can formulate a tactical plan to aid in an assault or defensive engagement. You make a skill check (DC determined by the GM based on the available information), and then the PCs gain a temporary bonus to skill checks, defense, or attack rolls for a few rounds.

I don't have the exact rules we use in front of me, but that's it in a nutshell.

The Shaman

First Post
Insight said:
In our D20 Modern campaign, we use Knowledge (tactics) a bit differently. If someone has time to prepare and knowledge of the enemy's position, strength, abilities, etc, that person can formulate a tactical plan to aid in an assault or defensive engagement. You make a skill check (DC determined by the GM based on the available information), and then the PCs gain a temporary bonus to skill checks, defense, or attack rolls for a few rounds.
It certainly makes sense with respect to the nature of Knowledge (tactics) or (military science), but my concern would be that to some extent this duplicates class benefits such as the Smart hero's Plan talent, the Charismatic hero's Coordinate talent, or the Soldier's Tactical Aid class ability.

What I have done is allow skill synergy bonuses to skills like Spot, Demolitions, Hide, and Move Silently for five ranks in Knowledge (military science) - this gives a discrete bonus to taking ranks in the skill without taking away from the bread-and-butter of other classes.

Remove ads