Fantasy Grounds

Bagpuss

Legend
I´ve purchased it I´ve yet to use it online, but I´m in the process of setting it up for D20 Modern, which is a lot easier than I expected. Someone has already converted it to do 1st edition AD&D. Its easy to use and the writers seem really on the ball with their forum, the updates have added features in direct response to user ideas. I´m looking forward to more in future.

Balmor

First Post
I played in the Burning Plague game last night (1/8) and want to offer my feedback on Fantasy Grounds.

First of all, I wanna give credit to MSD for the fine job he did in DM'ing last night's session. It's obvious he prepared well and was very familiar with the app before we started. Great Job Matt!

Now, on to Fantasy Grounds. Awesome! The only issue that we encountered (in my opinion) is that playing D&D in this fashion is a little bit slower than face-to-face. It could benefit from voice chat, but the addition of this would take away from the campaign log that's created, as people would be talking and not typing. As I said, a little bit slower in game play, but certainly faster that PBP or play by email.

Can't recommend this enough to anyone that either can't find a group or wants to try online gaming. One of the great things I see about Fantasy Grounds is that it allows the group to game for anywhere from minutes to hours on end. This is EXTREMELY beneficial to those of us whose time to game is limited by the constraints of life.

Great job SmiteWorks. Love the program and can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Zulithe

Explorer
Balmor: a lot of people on the fantasy grounds website have decided to use something like Skype or Teamspeak durring games for the voice chat, for groups that want it.

Personally my only gripe is the price, I can't convince everyone in my gaming group to purchase it. I think they should allow the Demo version to connect to the full version, which it currently can't do. This way, more people would use it, helping to spread adoption and word-of-mouth.

It's a really nice piece of work. I really love how they've worked out the dice rolling, and all the neat little features like making it easy for the DM to speak through other NPC/monster nicknames.

Zulithe

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds released version 1.03

What's new:
* Feature: The tab key can be used to move to and from number fields. The personality and character sheets have been updated to take advantage of this feature.
* Feature: The delete record option in the sheet radial menu has been moved into a submenu to avoid accidental deletes.
* Feature: Campaigns can now be exported as modules. A module contains the story, personality and item entries, and images with drawings and masks not applied. To export a module, use the command:
/export [module file name] [description]
The file name can't contain spaces, and will be prepended with ".mod" if not specified. The description will be the text visible on the module selection sheet.
* Fix: Player hot keys now save properly between sessions
* Fix: Better error reporting when encountering invalid ruleset definitions.
* Fix: Fixed the space/reach, speed, AC and type fields on the NPC sheets to span several lines if needed.
* Fix: Implemented some optimizations that should decrease the CPU usage for Fantasy Grounds when no processor intensive actions are performed, hopefully resulting in a more enjoyable operation on some laptops.
* Fix: Underlining rows in formatted text controls would occasionally fail in long text blocks. This has been fixed.
* Fix: Fixed a synchronization bug preventing tokens on a sheet from displaying after the sheet is shared.
* Fix: Fixed a bug that would prevent some rotated tokens from displaying.
* Fix: (Custom ruleset modifications only) If the token box is defined as a dynamic sheet, tokens outside shrinked borders will move with the resized border.
* Fix: Fixed a crash that happened if the GM closed a sheet for all players, and a player had the radial menu open on that sheet.

Ilwan

First Post
FG rocks

I never thought I would use online RPGs, but with FantasyGrounds its a delight. We are a group of 5 gamers, all were doubting online gaming, but now we play twice a week. Run through their message boards and try their demo at www.fantasygrounds.com.

The software rocks

Krieg

First Post
Zulithe said:
Personally my only gripe is the price, I can't convince everyone in my gaming group to purchase it. I think they should allow the Demo version to connect to the full version, which it currently can't do. This way, more people would use it, helping to spread adoption and word-of-mouth.

To be fair the "player only" lite version is cheaper at $19.95 rather than the $34.95 of the full version.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
I've been looking at Fantasy Grounds, Open RPG and Kloodge the last couple of weeks. I'm leaning towards Kloodge.

Fantasy Grounds is very nice looking. Interface is very simple and easy to use. For me though, it lacks some advanced features I see in Kloodge. My nits with it would be:

1) The map software doesn't zoom. You can change the grid you want on the map but the tokens you're using don't change. So your PC token is 50x50 pixels but if your map is not 50 pixels=5ft then the tokens the wrong size. Also, the map doesn't tell you any distances.

2) Dice-rolling. To roll dice, you click a dice and then drop it. For modifiers on a dice, you drag&drop or type in a modifer. So for my 1d8+3 axe, I put "3" in the modifier, pick up the 8 sided and drop it. Not too bad. For my 15th level fighter that attacks at +18/+13/+8 and does 1d8+4 on each of them: I type in the 18, roll the dice. Type in the 13 roll the dice. Type in the 8, roll the dice. Then for damage, the same thing. That seems like it would get cumbersome. FG does have a quick use toolbar that can store dice roll. This alleviates the problem for the players, but the DM is still stuck.

3) NPCs/Monsters. NPCs and Monsters are not setup in a way that you can use them very easily. Essentially, you're going to need your monster manual beside you. When making an attack, you'll have to type in the modifier and then roll the dice. Skills aren't setup in a way you can use them. Want a Listen check? You'll have to look at the NPC sheet, type in the modifier, and then roll the dice.

Kloodge addresses all of those issues. Kloodge seems more complex and takes awhile to get up to speed. But it seems to have a better feature set to me.

OpenRPG just couldn't grab my interest for some reason.

All of the programs though do have a free demo though so you can try out both and see what meshes with your style.

Remove ads