• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dead thread - please delete

Haltherrion

First Post
rycanada said:
The biggest problem, however, was that the characters in the Elenium are already older, veteran knights. I didn’t think that this would create the best experience for the players. Although we’d all gamed many times before, starting them out with heroes at the height of their power denied the players a chance to really make these characters their own. So the key change I made was putting the timeline back to a period where the players would be young knights. Thus, they would be drawn into the world by the quests they would experience and the relationships they'd make with NPCs. This is how I would build my PCs into Elenium-worthy knights.
Sounds like your method worked fine for your game but it is possible to start "in the middle of things" as the ancient greek playwrights suggested. While care is required and it is not something you can do in a single character generation session, the advantages can outweight the disadvantages (one being that working your PCs from low level to the "proper" level for your story might take a year of real time that you don't want to spend on that task.)

When starting in the middle, it helps to do meaty character backgrounds that created with input from both ref and player (and possibly all players). You could do it with some sort of round robin story telling or some sort of abstract pbem among other methods.

We recently started 10th-ish level characters using a character creation system that relied on cards that were drawn and traded for. These cards provided the germ of majoy PC history elements which were then fleshed out with the referee to make sure they were integrated into the setting. For instance, one card was "World renown love affair, successful or not". Another was "Major war hero". There were 6 for each player and the cards had other effects (suits determined starting gold, base stats, birthright while card text determined history stuff.)

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
rycanada said:
2. You won't find any rules-oriented material in this thread. Only once the other campaign elements are hammered out will that be possible. Psion’s mantra (that the rules should serve the game, not vice-versa) can be best applied from that perspective.
You haven't mentioned it, but if you don't plan to change some of the staples of D&D, then you will end up with churches doing the healing and wizards doing the big bang spells. Only if you have several alternatives like Grim Tales or Arcana Unearthed or alternative magic systems like the one in Black Company or Elements of Magic Revised you are free to choose the actual rules. IMO, anyways.

Remove ads