• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock/Chameleon?!?

Azaar

Explorer
Go ahead, laugh. I know you all want to, so best to get it out of your system ahead of time.

I'm about to start in a potentially powerful campaign. Starting character level is 10. The chameleon prestige class seems my best bet, seeing as how 1) all the major bases are by and large covered, and 2) I can't decide which class to be, because there's more than enough variety.

Now, the concept: CG Human Warlock. Able Learner feat is a must (prerequisite for Chameleon and all)... and, amazingly enough, the skills required are all class skills for the Warlock anyway. Stats: 14, 15, 16, 16, 17, 17 (don't ask me how I got so lucky on the rolls, I'm still shaking my head on that one). So, the basic stat block, I'm thinking, should go as follows:

Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 16

Decent bonuses to hit, either melee (which plays to the combat focus) or ranged (playing to the stealth focus). Decent Cha for Warlock, since it'll be the main class (I'm looking down the road at the possibility of Warlock 12/Chameleon 8 to top my 20-level stint, and go higher for epic levels if we make it that far). Con looks fairly good as well, and Int and Wis are prime for the arcane/divine focuses, respectively.

I'm thinking of giving one attribute point to Int (at level 4) and Wis (level 8). Int for more skill points per level (as if Able Learner won't help me out enough there anyway ), as well as the bonus spells for high Int with the arcane focus. Wis, for better Will saves (since my saves in general are gonna bite if I'm not focusing aptitude with the Chameleon levels), as well as bonus spells for high Wis in the divine focus, not to mention help with turning/rebuking any pesky undead I might come across.

For feats... I'll barely qualify for Improved Toughness (since I'm about betting hit points will be at a premium, and another additional HP per level (retroactively, to boot) certainly won't hurt me any. The bonus feat at second level of the Chameleon PrC is wide open: Practiced Spellcaster (for whichever focus I use, whether divine or arcane) is definitely worth considering, but the selection of other potential feats is so varied as to not bother with.

Now... here's where I need help. Ideas for what feats would be of most benefit to the build, as well as perhaps a level breakdown. I'm thinking Warlock 5/Chameleon 5, which is enough to give me an extra spell for each of the 4 spell levels I'll qualify for (courtesy of the 18 Int/Wis, depending on the focus of choice), but I'm open to other possibilities. Any comments, thoughts, etc. will be most welcome.

Remove ads