• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmage and Extra Spell

Yig

First Post
Can a 12th level warmage take the Extra Spell feat to learn Assay Resistance ?

I'd say yes but am looking for opinions.

Thanks

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Reading over the Warmage, there wouldn't be anything from restricting them from doing this. Taking the feat Extra Spell would allow a warmage access to additional spells beyond the evocation school by the looks of it. Yikes, it would take feat expenditure, but now all of those important defensive spells are open to the warmage.

Mekabar

First Post
No. Extra Spell allows you to learn an additional spell from your spell list. A Warmage has full access to his spell list anyway (like a cleric/druid), so he does not benefit from the feat at all.

Thanee

First Post
Exactly. You cannot learn spells, which are not on your class list, unless it is specifically noted (as with the Arcane Disciple feat). A feat that does this would also have to add the spell to the class list. Extra Spell does not do that.

Bye
Thanee

Yig

First Post
I don't have my book with me right now so sorry if I'm wrong but dosen't the feat state that it allow you to learn a spell you wouldn't normally have access to ?

Thanee

First Post
Yes, it does.

And that part only means, that a wizard would only have a reason to pick up this feat, if he or she was somehow prevented from learning a specific spell (i.e. free level up spells already spent on other spells, no scroll or teacher available and no time for research - aka no access to the spell).

It does not mean, that you suddenly gain access to spells that are not on your spell list. The feat only allows you to learn an additional spell, not increase the base of your knowledge by adding a completely new spell to your class spell list.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Well, there is still Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration, and magic items, followers, allies, party members, opponent's without spell resistance and more importantly spells, which do not allow spell resistance (even some of those in the Warmage spell list). ;)

Bye
Thanee

Trainz

Explorer
Yig said:
Ok, guess I'm screwed then :/

Unless I bribe the DM :)

How much you take, Trainz ?

Give me $200 and for you I'll merge the cleric and warmage spell list.

Just for you.

My generosity is limitless.

BTW, thanks for the advice Thanee !

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads