Mactando

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
This guy's based on actual folklore from around here, Gettysburg to be specific. Yes, Devil's Den was supposedly called that even before the battle. I don't know about the Indian names, but I used a Lenape dictionary, and I imagine the Indians around here were similar to Lenapes. Once again, I made him for MOTRD, but you'd have no real problems using him in COCd20 or whatever else floats your boat.

Mactando
Huge Elemental (Earth)

Hit Dice: 16d8+19 (115 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
AC: 15 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+27
Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+10, frightful presence, improved grab
Special Qualities: Meld into stone, scent, SR 26
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +17, Hide +10, Listen +9, Spot +9, Survival +6, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Hide), Toughness, Track
Climate/Terrain: Devil's Den
Organization: Unique (sometimes encountered with 1d4 giant constrictors)
Challenge Rating: 10
Alignment: Chaotic neutral

As they were ascending the west side they suddenly came upon a monstrous snake, sunning itself upon the rocks...They described it as a black snake, apparently turning gray from age...They estimated its length to be from fifteen to twenty feet, and the thickness of an ordinary man's waist...Father saw it before that about a mile from there at the big rocks, called the Devil's Den. Frank Armstrong saw it and was badly frightened. Grandfather saw it in his time, and mother says the Indians used to speak of it as "heap big snake"...Father says tradition traced it back one hundred years.
-- Anonymous, "Big Snake" (Gettysburg Compiler, August 12, 1875)

Description
Visitors to the jumble of boulders known as Devil's Den near Gettysburg, Pa., may find themselves assailed by more than the ghosts of snipers which haunt them. A huge serpent lairs in the crevices of the boulders (or, some say, within the boulders themselves). Said to be the chief of the "boss snakes" which are occasionally seen in the area, this beast is called The Devil by local residents. The Devil grants his name to the rocky nest.

Some local historians note that the Indians reputedly practiced despicable rituals in the hills, and that they may be responsible for the appearance of The Devil, which they called Mactando ('devil') or Wocpohik'an ('bone-crusher'). Mactando is known for his huge eyes like balls of green fire.

Combat
Mactando attacks much like any other constrictor snake. He slithers out from the rocks themselves, attempting to take interlopers by surprise. Then he will attempt to fix his baleful eyes upon the helpless trespassers, filling them with fear and dread. Finally, he will assail those untouched by terror, and will wrap them in his coils, constricting and crushing them.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, Mactando deals 1d8+10 points of damage.

Frightful Presence (Su): Characters within 160 feet of Mactando must make a Fear save (DC 19) or succumb to the aura of fear. It functions as the ability given for the haunt beast on p. 249 of Masque.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Mactando must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Meld Into Stone (Sp): Mactando may use this spell at will, making its lair within the stones themselves. The effect does not expire as the spell, however.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like it, but I think the CR needs to be a bit higher than 7. I'd suggest 9 in a D&D-style, magicked out game, but since this is for more realistic horror, I might put it even higher.

Also, is the damage on the constriction 1d8 (as in the stat block) or 1d3 (as in the descriptive text)?

Demiurge out.

robjh

First Post
I think Demiurge has pretty much covered the issues. Looks good, except it's kind of wierd for an earth elemental to be able to swim. :)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
It is, isn't it?

Looks like just about all the errors came from things I forgot to switch around when copying the constrictor snake out of the SRD and doing my modifications. I'll change those right away.

Remove ads