• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intelligent Mounts + Handle Animal?

GlassJaw

Hero
Do you need to use Handle Animal to train an intelligent mount to do something? What about the paladin's mount? Does it need to be trained at all?

Kvantum

First Post
From Rules of the Game: All About MOunts (Part 5) on WotC's website:

Intelligent Mounts

According to the Dungeon Master's Guide, a mount with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher acts like an NPC ally rather than a mount. Riding such an ally works much like riding an aggressive mount in battle (see Part Two), except that you don't have to make a Ride check to act while riding. (If your mount carries you willingly, the ride is smooth enough so your actions aren't restricted.) You also cannot make a Ride check to control the mount's actions, but you can make a Diplomacy (or possibly a Wild Empathy) check to get the mount to accept your direction. If you do, your mount acts just like a mount trained for combat riding.

Even if you cannot (or do not choose to) direct your mount's actions, you still can ride along, making your own initiative roll and possibly delaying until after your mount acts, as noted in Part Two.

The full article can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050222a

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Crothian said:
handle animal In 1 or 2

diplomancy int 3+

that's the simple answer
I agree. Further, I don't even require the Diplomacy check for a Paladin's Mount, unless the paladin is trying to get his mount to do something that goes against his--and his mount's--alignment. With that one exception, a Paladin's Mount will always willingly carry out its master's wishes to the best of its ability, and it's more than smart enough to understand its master's wishes in most cases.

GlassJaw

Hero
I don't even require the Diplomacy check for a Paladin's Mount, unless the paladin is trying to get his mount to do something that goes against his--and his mount's--alignment

Makes sense. I can see the Diplomacy check may be necessary if you are riding a dragon or something but that would just get annoying for "bonded" mounts.

My other question is do you still have to teach an intelligent mount tricks to do certain things? What if your mount is intelligent but can't communicate?

Remove ads