• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When the DM goes for that extra special "I can't believe they missed it."

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
A.k.a. the hidden jokes that no one spots until it's too late.

So we just came to the end of our latest Dragonlance campaign by way of a happy TPK. Happy because we took the main bad guy with us to the afterlife during the final massacre. His bodyguards turned out to be a lot tougher than him, mostly due to his amazing karma which seemed to think he was number one and gave him nothing but it. :D

Anyway, while packing up my stuff I had this conversation with the player of the knight:
Him: "Wait a minute...the dragons referred to the guy as Babr Badaruj?"
Me: "What's that got to do with anything?"
"And the villagers all called him Lord Garud?
"Lord of Castle Garud actually."
"But it was his familys castle."
"So?"
"Don't you remember back in the castle? His mother kept calling him Eleazar, and he kept telling her to use his first names..."
"Umm..."
"So put it all together. Babr Badaruj Eleazar Garud."
"What the..."

That damn DM. We should have known all the way back when the campaign started. At least it's a cool sounding name, I'll give him that. :p

Rystil Arden

First Post
jonesy said:
A.k.a. the hidden jokes that no one spots until it's too late.

So we just came to the end of our latest Dragonlance campaign by way of a happy TPK. Happy because we took the main bad guy with us to the afterlife during the final massacre. His bodyguards turned out to be a lot tougher than him, mostly due to his amazing karma which seemed to think he was number one and gave him nothing but it. :D

Anyway, while packing up my stuff I had this conversation with the player of the knight:
Him: "Wait a minute...the dragons referred to the guy as Babr Badaruj?"
Me: "What's that got to do with anything?"
"And the villagers all called him Lord Garud?
"Lord of Castle Garud actually."
"But it was his familys castle."
"So?"
"Don't you remember back in the castle? His mother kept calling him Eleazar, and he kept telling her to use his first names..."
"Umm..."
"So put it all together. Babr Badaruj Eleazar Garud."
"What the..."

That damn DM. We should have known all the way back when the campaign started. At least it's a cool sounding name, I'll give him that. :p
It took me too long at trying to read it backwards or unscramble it as anagram before I realised that it was just the initials. I like hidden stuff that nobody spots until too late, although they usually aren't jokes, they are still funny to me. Like when the party's knight PC paid a mysterious knight most of his money for lessons on how to court this one lady, and the lessons consisted of telling the knight to buy the girl expensive things she wanted. Turns out the mysterious knight is also the girl. The player of the PC knight still doesn't know this though...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Rystil Arden said:
It took me too long at trying to read it backwards or unscramble it as anagram before I realised that it was just the initials.
Well I'm glad it wasn't just us. :)

To be fair to the DM, I don't recall him using the full name at any one point. And while we do use a lot of english (because of the non-native Finns in the group), none of us have it as a first language.

Rystil Arden

First Post
jonesy said:
Well I'm glad it wasn't just us. :)

To be fair to the DM, I don't recall him using the full name at any one point. And while we do use a lot of english (because of the non-native Finns in the group), none of us have it as a first language.
Yeah, I've never claimed to have the Wisdom to spot the obvious, but at least I have the Int to think it through methodically and figure it out eventually. I did some pretty crazy things to try to figure out what it was before I saw it. Maybe the fact that I don't really use that acronym contributed. ;)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It might not have been all that nasty otherwise, but this guy was the one who initially took the party under his wing, gave the first quests, offered training, etc. You get the picture.

Everyone feel free to share any similar revelations. I'm sure there are a lot better stories wandering about. :)

Talmun

First Post
jonesy said:
Everyone feel free to share any similar revelations. I'm sure there are a lot better stories wandering about. :)

A friend of mine ran a game where the party spent hours (real-time) trying to find the secret, underground entrance to to castle...the whole time they were wondering around the town he kept telling them about this tavern they were passing by over and over: The Tunnel Inn.

Edit: One more,
In an epic game I ran there was a White Slaad NPC who wielded heavy picks, his nickname was 'The Impaler'....

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
I have two recurring starships hidden within almost every sci-fi game I run...

The run-down mining ship, the Ice Ore, and the battered but beloved privateer, the Pilogar Badge.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
A long time back (early AD&D days) I played in a group that got wiped out. We were facing a couple of wights and a dwarf up in the mountains, a snow dwarf. We were holding our own when 5 more wights flanked us. The DM said we should have expected that.

Hadn't we ever heard of the snow dwarf and the seven wights?

Remove ads