• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity Preview - No Spoilers

KidCthulhu

First Post
Squeeeeeel. PC and I just got back from the Serenity Sneak Preview, and may I be the first to say that this movie kicks ass.

It's all the trademark Whedon, tight writing, great characters, complex bad guys, witty banter and totally unexpected rat bastardy-ness. I'll say no more, lest I be tempted to spill the spoilers.

Sean Maher and Morena Baccari (sp?) were both at our preview, and I'll bet some or all of the other cities got cast visits too. Good thing we didn't have Gina Torres or Jewel Straite, or I would have lost Pkitty right there!

Waiting for October, so I can see it again!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh, so good. So very good.

If I had never seen the show, I'd give it a 7+. Having the show's backstory, it's a definite 9 or 9.5. People stood up and cheered at the end, and it darn well deserved it.

There was a very funny intro from Joss, talking about how the movie got made even after the show was canceled. "If you like it, tell people" he said - and wow, it'll be hard to do without giving away the fun stuff. But that was my best spent entertainment dollars in months.

BSF

Explorer
Sure, rub in your fortune at having it preview near you! *sigh* I can wait until it is released though. It looks like it will be fantastic. :)

KidCthulhu

First Post
Crothian said:
Simple question, though I guess it might be considered spoilific: does the movie leave itslef for a sequal?

I wouldn't say it does and doesn't leave openings for a sequel. I'd say it rather puts an end to the idea of returning to a regular tv show, but can't say why. There's definitely room for another movie or two, but it doesn't feel like "and now we leave things waiting for the next movie" like, say, X-men or X-men II. If they have to stop here, it would feel complete.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Just got back from the preview in Chicago. I'd say the big question people are asking is: Will it deliver for those not familiar with Firefly - and I don't think I can adequately answer that question. It delivered for me, big time. I think things were introduced well enough that non-fans can get into it, but I'm not utterly sure of it. I give it 4 of 4 stars.

Never fear, Shepherd Book is in the film, as are the rest of the TV cast.

There is no cliffhanger at the end; it could go to a sequel or back to series fine from where they left off, either one.

Pyrex

First Post
Just got back from the Seattle screening. Our special guest star was Adam Baldwin.

Damn that was good.

If anyone tries to tell you anything about what happens in the movie don't listen. You absolutely want to see this while having no idea what is coming.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Well I had a good night Thursday. I went to Austin. Found gas for $2.01 a gallon. Discovered Jack-in-the-Box has a new Blueberries and Cream shake; it was pretty tasty.

Let's see. What else did I do?

Oh yeah. I got to see Serenity, the BEST FREAKIN' MOVIE OF THE YEAR!

Book and Mal were at our screening, which was special (some of you know what I'm talking about). Nathan Fillion and Ron Glass spoke briefly before the screening (I believe Ron said it was his first time to see the film in a close-to-finished form) and then did an hour-long Q-and-A afterwards, then signed autographs. Very cool. Plus Universal had a film crew there filming people waiting in line before the screening as well as Nathan and Ron and others who spoke before and after.

As for the film itself (without giving anything away): I felt going into the movie the same way I did prior to the first LotR movie. I was excited, and I was very hopeful that it would be good. But part of me also was afraid; I was praying that it wouldn't suck. And the film exceeded my expectations -- and I had pretty high expectations. I laughed, I cried, I didn't want it to end.

In general terms, it was similar to the X-Files Movie -- they stayed with their strong suits (acting, character development and interaction, dialogue, surprises, action) and improved on their weaknesses (special effects). Not that the special effects for Firefly weren't good for a TV show, but in a movie with a larger budget you can do more. And Joss does more.

There is a bit of history lesson at the first of the movie that explains a little of the backstory for the setting, which is good for fans and newbies alike. Some things I had always suspected but were never explained for sure in the series were laid out at the start, so I was glad for that.

People asked about can the story go on from the end of the movie. Yes, and no. I don't see it ever going back to TV. But they could make more movies, either continuing from where everything is now, or set during an earlier time. Nathan and Ron even addressed that during the Q-and-A, and said there were several options that had already been discussed as far as how to proceed with another movie.

One disappointment I had (and I don't really think this is a spoiler) was that the theme song wasn't used. During the Q-and-A I asked about it, and if it would be in the final version of the movie, and Nathan said no. I hope he was kidding (he did that alot -- he's a very funny guy; he should do standup). For anyone who was at the screening Joss attended (I think Ron and Nathan said it was Las Vegas), did he address this? I really think they should use the theme song, even if just over the closing credits.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Another thing I was curious about -- I saw someone in the crowd wearing an event-specific Serenity T-shirt for the screenings. Where did he get it? They weren't selling them at the screening or handing them out? Is there someplace online where they can be bought?

KidCthulhu

First Post
Pyrex said:
Just got back from the Seattle screening. Our special guest star was Adam Baldwin.

Darn. I'll trade you Morena for Adam. The Firefly Actor Trading Game. Collect all 9!

Jayne, as always got some of the best lines in the movie. He's very much Firefly's Cordelia; the mercenary character who says exactly what's on their mind. Only with way more ass-kickin' Nice to see Vera got a part too. (Oh, come on, that's not really a spoiler!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads