So, what makes 1e adventures so great?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Nostalgia.

Being first.

Both of those are strong components to it. I think that certain adventures were also so barebones (see D3: Vault of the Drow) that the ingenuity of the DM and players made them even greater than how they were written.

Being first was important because the adventures really were trailblazing in those days. With many later adventures you could go, "Seen that before". You couldn't during the 1e days.

The 1e adventures also covered a great breadth of situation. For example, S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks takes place within a crashed spaceship! Some of the adventures were extremely inventive.

Not all 1e adventures were great, however. In actual fact, there are very few real classics, mostly from the early days. Some are now considered classic simply because they were widely played, not for their intrinsic interest. (A1, A2 and A3, the first three adventures of the Slavelords series, are probably of that calibre. A4, however, is very unusual as you begin as prisoners and deserves its classic status).

Cheers!

Psion

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Both of those are strong components to it. I think that certain adventures were also so barebones (see D3: Vault of the Drow) that the ingenuity of the DM and players made them even greater than how they were written.

D3 was my favorite 1e module. I was just about to start a thread pointing out that many of them weren't really anything to write home about, but D3 was an exception, because it is rather open ended.

I guess I just dig products like that, even today. I like products that don't provide you with ground to grow the adventure in and let you play out the details.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The earliest D&D adventures

Although there were D&D adventures published before the Giants, they did not have a wide enough distribution to really be worth considering except in passing. Members of the Acaeum know more about them than I, in any case (and perhaps Grodog might pass by). The Temple of the Frog (from Supplement II: Blackmoor) is also an oddity that lies outside the normal consideration of adventures.

The First Year: 1978
G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (8 pages)
G2: Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl (8 pages)
G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King (16 pages)
D1: Descent into the Depths of the Earth (20? pages)
D2: Shrine of the Kuo-Toa (20 pages)
D3: Vault of the Drow (28 pages)
S1: Tomb of Horrors (12 pages + 20 page illustration booklet)
B1: In Search of the Unknown (28 pages)

Seven of the first eight adventures for D&D were written by Gary Gygax, the other (B1) by Mike Carr, and all are remarkable in how brief they are. In truth, G1-3 and D1-3 were all part of the same series (which would be finally completed in 1980 by Q1) and would be collected in later printings.

G1, G2 and G3 are linked by a simple theme: slay the giants. This is an archetypal theme that owes much to Norse mythology, and resonates well. G1 is simple in construct, but as the adventures progressed, Gygax added more challenges and interest to them. New enemies were introduced, terrain features were varied, and the tactics of the giants grew more cunning.

These early adventures required skill from the DM to turn them into more than just hack'n'slash fests, but the material was there. G3 was the most interesting, as it introduced not only the treacherous dwarf Obmi and a strange underground temple, but also one of the signature races of D&D, the Drow.

D1 and D2 began another archetypal quest: Discover the strange things that live beneath the surface of the earth. Where the other modules were somewhat limited in scope, the Descent literally covered miles of what much later became known as the Underdark. Even more than G1-3, these relied on the DM's invention to fill in the blanks. However, the environment presented was vividly described and enough detail was given for the inventive DM to really make them work.

D3, however, being the sixth part of this series, was extremely unusual. Less of an adventure than a description of the destination of the adventurers' pursuit through the Underdark, the Vault of the Drow was a potentially dangerous place full of webs of intrigue. Of all the adventures ever published for D&D, this is the one that requires the most from the DM. It is also one the most influential on the mythology of D&D - both in Greyhawk and in the Forgotten Realms.

G3 (1978) and D3 are the two great classics adventures by Gary Gygax for AD&D. The potential provided by those adventures would not be equalled in his later releases.

S1 is a nonesuch: an adventure designed to kill the PCs of people who think they're better than they are! It is similar to the classic dungeon adventure with one exception: very few monsters and many, many traps. The variance in ways that your PC could die during this adventure makes it deserve its classic status.

B1 is also unusual: it was designed for novice DMs. A backstory was given, and the map was drawn, along with descriptions of some rooms and their special features. However, not everything was filled in! The DM had to stock the rooms with monsters and treasure, as well as other interesting items. This style of dungeon would only be attempted once more, in B3, but that product was withdrawn and rewritten before wide sales, so B1 also stands alone. I don't think that by any measure it can be considered a great adventure, but it was the start for many players.

Cheers!

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Second Year: 1979
T1: The Village of Hommlet (24 pages)
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands (32 pages)
S2: White Plume Mountain (16 pages)

Of the modules produced in 1979, B2 would be the most significant to the most players. It was included in the D&D Basic set for many years afterwards, and was designed by Gary Gygax as being a fun way to introduce new players to D&D. It certainly succeeded at that!

By any reckoning, having a set of caves with all these normally feuding monsters living in them peacefully doesn't make a lot of sense. However, it makes for some very enjoyable gaming. There is no plot past "kill the monsters and take their stuff" - although clever DMs could add to the material given here - but for novice players, what fun! Many more experienced players also enjoyed it, it must be said...

T1 is a different kettle of fish. Where B2 gave the very barest of bones of a home base (the Keep), T1 gave much in the way of description of the Village of Hommlet and the intrigues that were taking place there - although not much in the way of actual events that should occur. A nearby dungeon (the Moathouse) was also provided, giving an unusual counterpoint to the balance in B2.

T1 was really the first adventure to promote the setting above the basic adventure. I do not think it was entirely successful: too much was left up to the DM in the way of providing challenges before the moathouse could be successfully attempted. And, unfortunately, the much promised T2, the actual Temple of Elemental Evil, was delayed and delayed.

S2 was the first real "tournament" style module to be published. For the time being, I will ignore two further modules that had limited release this year; I am more interested in the broader release dates. By a "tournament" style of module, I mean a dungeon where a task must be performed, and there are various traps, tricks and monsters in the way. S2 doesn't really make much sense, but it defines an common, early form of D&D adventure.

S2 is fun, but not always well-regarded these days.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Third Year: 1980
C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (32 pages, 8 page illustration book)
C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness (20 pages)
Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits (32 pages)
A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity (24 page)

If S2 was the first adventure I consider a "tournament module", 1980 would see the release of three explicitly labeled tournament modules: C1, C2 and A1. C1 is distinctive in that it used an Aztec motif, and A1 in that the "against the slavers" theme is somewhat archetypal in nature. However, apart from some inventive encounters, none of these modules really pushed forward the boundaries of module design that had been seen in S2.

In theory, Q1 is the conclusion to the Giants/Drow series. However, it was not written by Gary Gygax. The exact reason for that is not one I am entirely certain of. Was it that Gary was too busy and handed the job off to another designer? Or were the internal tensions at TSR already building and someone else was assigned to it?

Regardless, Q1 is a classic adventure, though it is at odds with what had been seen in the previous adventures in the series. The PCs had to travel to the Abyss and slay a demoness - or goddess, depending on interpretation. The actual adventure could lead on to adventures in a dozen new worlds, and the mechanical spidership of Lolth was extremely unusual.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Creativity. Back then everything hadn't been done yet. Many things that made them good then make them bad now. The gaming landscape hjas changed in the last 20 plus years.

Quasqueton

First Post
Isn't it interesting that the first "official" adventures published for D&D were high-level romps? You'd have thought they'd start with low-level stuff.

Quasqueton

Bryan898

First Post
Do you remember when Nintendo first came out (or Atari), and the feeling you got playing Mario, Punch Out, Final Fantasy, or Zelda for the first times? Now they don't seem so extraordinary, the concepts are small, the gameplay simplistic, but at the time it was the best thing ever. I still remember how awesome those games were, and still think they were awesome because there was nothing like it at the time. If I found someone who started playing games on the new generation of consoles and had them play the old games, they'd probably think they were dumb. It's almost the same thing here. Nostalgia is great but sucks at the same time because you always want to recreate that original feeling, and that's a very hard thing to do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases